Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!! - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!

Nice work Ray. Maybe new (ole) Webers aren't a bad idea after all! You know what I mean....

Advertisement
    1969 Alpine A110

Hi "nauli",
    That is exactly what I was saying.

Ray
    Shoji likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

More Testing and Finishing !!

Well this week has been quite full on with trying to complete my list of things to do on the Alpine.

After the Webers I have fitted a brake proportioning valve, as the brakes all lock together in and emergency situation, and I do not want that to happen in the wet, even though Sam says it will not be driven in the wet, but you can always be caught out. It is the adjustable type and is fitted in the standard position on the back crossmember. A bit of plumbing and it was all in. When all was in place this morning, it was time to get some km in with a road test. So I went to have "mid-day tea" with the Hill People (Kalamunda). They have a very nice tea room restaurant there with the best apple pie. It also gave me a chance to test the new temp fan switch. The switch is a 90-80 and because of the distance from the rad to motor it turns on at 95C and off at 75C (little light on the dash), just perfect.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180424_100503.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180513_133418.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180513_133449.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    More Testing and Finishing !!

Well this week has been quite full on with trying to complete my list of things to do on the Alpine.

After the Webers I have fitted a brake proportioning valve, as the brakes all lock together in and emergency situation, and I do not want that to happen in the wet, even though Sam says it will not be driven in the wet, but you can always be caught out. It is the adjustable type and is fitted in the standard position on the back crossmember. A bit of plumbing and it was all in. When all was in place this morning, it was time to get some km in with a road test. So I went to have "mid-day tea" with the Hill People (Kalamunda). They have a very nice tea room restaurant there with the best apple pie. It also gave me a chance to test the new temp fan switch. The switch is a 90-80 and because of the distance from the rad to motor it turns on at 95C and off at 75C (little light on the dash), just perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180424_100503.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	105965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_133418.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	105966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_133449.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	105967
    So there were 2 Alpines out and about yesterday!! I went the opposite way to you Ray....via Cottesloe. I parked up near the "Cove" to check out the surf and when I returned to the Alpine there was a chap and his 2 kids admiring it. It turned out that he was a Frenchman (and also a boy racer)...he knew of Mark Duder's A110 but was surprised to hear that there was a total of 5 A110's in Perth.

So Ray...is Sam's finished? With Sam's permission I wouldn't mind somebody taking me for a drive in it...to see how it compares to Tom's.
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    So there were 2 Alpines out and about yesterday!! I went the opposite way to you Ray....via Cottesloe. I parked up near the "Cove" to check out the surf and when I returned to the Alpine there was a chap and his 2 kids admiring it. It turned out that he was a Frenchman (and also a boy racer)...he knew of Mark Duder's A110 but was surprised to hear that there was a total of 5 A110's in Perth.

So Ray...is Sam's finished? With Sam's permission I wouldn't mind somebody taking me for a drive in it...to see how it compares to Tom's.

Nauli, this means that I need a ride in yours too also compare since I had a ride in Sam's
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Nauli, this means that I need a ride in yours too also compare since I had a ride in Sam's
    No problemo John....but you will be disappointed!
    Shoji likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ray Great job on Sam's A110 - looks a treat. Like the wheels. Need perspex over the headlights??

So pretty!

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hi Ray Great job on Sam's A110 - looks a treat. Like the wheels. Need perspex over the headlights??
    It's covers now done.
    The covers are a slight bit out, as the body has had work. So I needed to make some small "cleats" in stainless to spread the load of the screw to hold them down nicely.

Ray
    image added
    Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180515_110930.jpg
    Last edited by geckoeng; 15th May 2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Ray geckoeng

"nauli"
    In a sense it is finished, just sorting small things to make it right. Started a "spanner check" this morning and a bit of detailing on the underside. More spanners tomorrow and cleaning suspension and underbody.

Thurs afternoon I will do a final setting of the motor with re-torque the head, set valves.

I have some final pieces from France on their way, but they can be fitted later, just to tart it up.

Fri is clean and polish the top. And Sam can have it ( and I will try and convince him he doesn't want it).

Ray
    Shoji likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Sam, First Solo in New A110

Sam cam around this afternoon to see how the gearbox was progressing, and test a modified seat we had done.

So I took him for a drive, using the box a lot and giving it a good squirt when conditions were appropriate. He commented that I had mastered the gears well and I had no hang ups. Which in fact the box becomes easier to use every drive.

When we returned I had him get in the drivers seat, set his seat position and belt tension. and pointed him to the open road. Took off fine and down the road the A110 went. Man it sounds nice !!! And then he turned into the road on the other side of the block and gave it a squirt, and the hair on the back of my neck went all tingly. Oohh just so great. 15 minutes later I heard the exhaust note coming from the block top side of the workshop and then the car came into site. Wow, so nice. Now I am pleased.

He was happy, fluffed the gears a few times , but said he could feel them nicely and just needed to master the gate a bit more. We talked about altering the seating position, and tilt the seat back a bit, so you sit in the seat and not on it. He felt the steering was a bit heavy, and thinking on it, may be from lowering the suspension in the front a bit, but also the new off set of the 13" Alpine wheels, which change the scrub radius quite a bit, to the 15" Brahims he had on there with ordinary tyres, these are Toyos. But good positive feedback.

Hand over has been organised for Saturday morning.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180516_141937.jpg

Ray
    bowie and BG5WRC like this.
    Ray geckoeng

I would've liked to see your silly smile Ray. Gold. Well done champ and you got to the finish line
    JohnW likes this.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Great work Ray. Party time!!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Sam cam around this afternoon to see how the gearbox was progressing, and test a modified seat we had done.

So I took him for a drive, using the box a lot and giving it a good squirt when conditions were appropriate. He commented that I had mastered the gears well and I had no hang ups. Which in fact the box becomes easier to use every drive.

When we returned I had him get in the drivers seat, set his seat position and belt tension. and pointed him to the open road. Took off fine and down the road the A110 went. Man it sounds nice !!! And then he turned into the road on the other side of the block and gave it a squirt, and the hair on the back of my neck went all tingly. Oohh just so great. 15 minutes later I heard the exhaust note coming from the block top side of the workshop and then the car came into site. Wow, so nice. Now I am pleased.

He was happy, fluffed the gears a few times , but said he could feel them nicely and just needed to master the gate a bit more. We talked about altering the seating position, and tilt the seat back a bit, so you sit in the seat and not on it. He felt the steering was a bit heavy, and thinking on it, may be from lowering the suspension in the front a bit, but also the new off set of the 13" Alpine wheels, which change the scrub radius quite a bit, to the 15" Brahims he had on there with ordinary tyres, these are Toyos. But good positive feedback.

Name:	20180516_141937.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	106007

Ray
    Haha! I would have been very surprised if he didn't like it!!!
    I have the same seats as Sam's and had to tilt them back a bit to feel as though I wasn't falling out frontwards!
    I had similar issues with a few gear selections when I drove Tom's 5 speed. Maybe try one of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-mp4104.gif  
    1969 Alpine A110

Name:	20180516_141937.jpg 
Views:	59 
ID:	106007

Ray
    And the steering....mine is a bit heavy too, especially compared to Tom's A110...but Tom's car has 165 x 13 width "normal road tyres" whereas mine has 185 x 13 R-Specs on the front....and mine is lowered a bit. But saying that, lowering the car didn't make the steering noticeably heavier. He'll get used to it!
    1969 Alpine A110

And Ray...you just need to come to terms with having to let it go...I'm sure there are counselling support sites out there if you need them!!!
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    And Ray...you just need to come to terms with having to let it go...I'm sure there are counselling support sites out there if you need them!!!
    Nauli,
    I have my own "head reader" at home but he has given up, a while back. But I will get over it because the Dauph Proto will be even better and it will be in place by lunch on Saturday. But Sunday I need to do some needed maintenance on the Rodeo, so it can go to Albany.

And then a 17 Special motor comes into play, and then a Alpine R5A motor ........

See I am that kind of person, I have learned to "substitute" ..............

Ray
    JohnW, Shoji and nauli like this.
    Ray geckoeng

I would say I have mastered the gear change very well. I went for a ride to warm the motor up to get a plug colour reading. And in all the back roads never missed a gear once, and lots of coming down to second. It works well. OOohh and sounds so good when you "kick the headlamp out" (stand on it).

And I have cantered the driver seat back 13mm, and it made a great change, so thanks to "nauli" and Mark Duder for the suggestions. I now seem to sit in the seat, not on top of it.

Sweet Dreams .....
    Ray
    Shoji likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

I thought it appropriate that the title of the thread should be changed to fit with what we have made. So Chris/Greenblood obliged Me.

Well done Sam we have done it....

Ray
    GreenBlood and FIVEDOOR like this.
    Ray geckoeng

That's what I was talking about.
    Well done.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

All handed over? Hope it went well. I had commitments or I'd have come over with champagne - sorry about that!!

Sam's a lucky man. We look forward to seeing him and the car at events now!

To repeat. A great effort. It will be a rare thing to see an A110 rebuilt so thoroughly. Congratulations.
    bowie likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Delivery Day !!!

This morning Sam came to collect the Alpine. It had been cleaned and polished, tank filled. And spent the night in the workshop under its cover.

"nauli" was there, and we all had a good discussion on cars we had had.

And then it was driven off, just such a good sound !!!

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0226.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0219.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0220.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0221.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0222.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0223.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0224.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0229.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0227.jpg

The workshop is all changed around, with substitutes now ......

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0227.jpg  
    Last edited by geckoeng; 19th May 2018 at 07:20 PM.
    Ray geckoeng

well done ray and congratulations sam.magnificent car!!!

Delivery Day !!!

This morning Sam came to collect the Alpine. It had been cleaned and polished, tank filled. And spent the night in the workshop under its cover.

"nauli" was there, and we all had a good discussion on cars we had had.

And then it was driven off, just such a good sound !!!

Name:	DSCN0226.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	106090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0219.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	106083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0220.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	106084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0221.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	106085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0222.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	106086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0223.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	106087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0224.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	106088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0229.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	106089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0227.jpg 
Views:	71 
ID:	106091

The workshop is all changed around, with substitutes now ......

Ray
    Such a gorgeous car....well done Ray.
    Sam was a happy man!
    Now for some engine building Ray.

PS: thanks for the tips re the Koni's...they're all fitted now...rears a little fiddly (which may have something to do with a 6'2" bloke squeezing under the rear arches)....the fronts were a piece of cake!
    1969 Alpine A110

"nauli"

You are supposed to jack it up to get under it ..............

Ray
    JohnW and Shoji like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information