Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!! - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!

Assembly Underneath :

Motor and gearbox into car, and bolted up. That is a major, and is very satisfying. It also means you can put the car on its wheels and roll it around on the floor. It was only to see where everything fitted, as no sooner was it on the floor, but it was back up on stands so I could start connecting everything , and get all of the final lengths done for electrics and final connect. Sam said it looked very full, but he hadn't seen it with the Webers and manifolds and air cleaners (to come).

Advertisement

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-wheels.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-engine-.jpg

As you can see from the car on the floor the back springs have no straps on, well this is how I compress the suspension to get the straps fastened. Sorry the picture was not the best, camera didn't want to use flash. I wrap the ratchet strap so it will pull the axle tube up to the crossmember. And ratchet !!!

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0197.jpg

One thing I did have to do was play with the hand brake mechanism and its mounting to the cross member. The lever arm was shortened considerably and it was turned upside down and moved to the LH side. But it made fitting the cable much easier. Then came making the cable, and getting the lengths exactly right. But in it went and connected and works very well. Once brakes are bedded in the final adjustment will be very good.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0212.jpg

Now I had made all the gear change in the motor-gearbox mock up stage, but it had only been done with the mockup water pipes in place. Now that the proper pipes were in place with all their isolation/anti-vibration pads it had become a bit cramped. So a slight revision was in order. After a bit of playing it started fitting properly, and the shifter mechanism was put in place and connected up and fastened. Well it was working properly and cleared all surroundings. A lot of the shifter base is from a R17 change mechanism. The knurled shaft and shaft end were the important parts, as they allow length and rotation adjustment, and then can be locked with the bolted collar (similar to the R16 column shift adjustment). I changed Steven Swans supplied mechanism quite a bit. Mainly for fit and strength.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0206.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0207.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0208.jpg
    Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-17g-gear-mech.jpg

My shift mechanism uses (last numbers) from the drawing :
    xx151 knurled bar
    xx174 gear change tube
    xx400 bolted collar

My mechanism sort of reverses the shift pattern so (I hope) all the gears are in the right place. I did work with all the positions before the final fabrication. My ratios give me a nice short, tight shift gate, very positive. It is the basic pattern that Steven gave me.

Well it is all in , cable tied in place, and ready for the next part. A very satisfactory Australia Day.
    JohnW, Shoji and Dano like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Looks great Ray, don’t think I would like to tackle that without a hoist!

Brian,
    To be honest I hate hoists. I have a damaged back from them and prefer high stands and work on my back. Much more arm power. And I have seen cars come off of hoists. I have been taught properly how to put on stands, and only once in 55 years in a workshop, only seen once a car fall and that was because of an apprentice who knew everything. ( An Early millennial) .

Ray
    Shoji, Dano and Kenfuego like this.
    Ray geckoeng

More Assembly :

Today was very busy (again).

Carbs mounted and assembled on motor. As most of the stuff was on the car already it was a easy task, as once bolted on connection was easy. Now it is cramped (at the top).

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-motor-carbs.jpg

Also fitted and connected was the crank case venting catch can. Hose was a bit kinked so made a spring for internal to keep it round.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-catch-can.jpg

And oil hoses for oil cooler were final fitting. The oil cooler is in the RH rear fender chamber under the air scoop. The radiator duct across the back of the car in blanked in the back compartment and a large hole was cut into the RH chamber and a set of walls glassed in for the oil cooler to sit in and mount to. Not easy to explain but easy to do (!!!!). The hoses come across the back frame as can be seen in the catch can picture

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-oil-cooler-block.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-oil-cooler-rh-wng.jpg

That was it.

Ray
    Dano and FIVEDOOR like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Out of the Workshop Under It's Own Power:

Well today was a great moment in the building of Sam's V85 Alpine A110. I drove it out of the workshop under its own power. I took a picture and texted it to many people in the world who wanted to see it finished, like me and Sam. In the evening in WA I am still getting replies to my texts. So it has been goo. I then gave the car its first wash just to get the workshop dust off of it and did a bit of detailing with getting windows clean and a quick vacuum inside, as I knew Sam would be around quite soon. When he arrived he just walked around it, maybe not believing his eyes, but it looked very good.

I then took him for a quick ride around the block (extended). He was very happy, we did find a few things that need attention, and the gear change needs a bit of adjustment. But the close ratios of the box are just fantastic. Anybody got a broken "365" for sale???? The beast fair Boogies with the 16TS motor in the back, and the Webers sound so good through K&Ns. The exhaust is a good note without being intrusive.

Tomorrow, Anzac Day it will go for a proper road test. It needs Km on the motor.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0207.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0208.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0214.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0215.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0216.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0217.jpgSam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-dscn0218.jpg

The windscreens have been the most difficult as the rubber seals were very perished and when I went to fit the rear, it was all in and trying to finish position the screen it ripped the entire back right corner. On inspection of the front seal it was the same, so a rapid order to Meca Parts, and it was on its way. But like always Aus Post held onto it for 3 days in Melbourne. So a whole week later I started installing again. The car will go to a autoglass installer to have the locking beads put in.

I wll sleep well tonight !
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

I had the pleasure to see the finished car in the flesh when I visited Ray yesterday afternoon. All I can say is WOW!!!! It is absolutely stunning in every respect and is a credit to Ray's meticulous work and to Sam's never ending patience!
    To say I'm jealous is an understatement...I can only wish for something of this quality. But the slow restoration on my (related) A110 will continue at a modest pace (and cost)...though I reckon one thing that mine has over Sam's car is a nicer headlining!!
    Anyway, congratulations Sam....the car is fabulous. And well done Ray...it's a fine tribute to your skills.
    1969 Alpine A110

Ray, Old saying. Only prostitutes and mechanics work on their backs.
    JohnW likes this.

Very nice. Is a A110 with a 1600 motor, still a V85?
    Just asking.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    Very nice. Is a A110 with a 1600 motor, still a V85?
    Just asking.

Henry
    Well it started as a V85, but now it's basically a 1600S
    1969 Alpine A110

"Ruby" my man,
    It has a badge on the fender saying it is a 1600S ..... ?????

But what is a badge ????

It runs like a 1600S, with a close ratio, "Big" 5 speed box. Thats all that counts, I think !!!

Ray
    Shoji and JohnW like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    "Ruby" my man,
    It has a badge on the fender saying it is a 1600S ..... ?????

But what is a badge ????

It runs like a 1600S, with a close ratio, "Big" 5 speed box. Thats all that counts, I think !!!

Ray
    Yes I agree, In other words ' Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (ie owner)' is all that matters ��

Went to Classic Cars and Coffee this afternoon had very favorable comments, inparticular how cramped the engine compartment looked. But actually it is only the Webers that do that.

95km on the clock now, a few small niggles to sort out and a final engine tune, and it will be turned over to Sam.

It is terrible to drive in traffic, you see more idiots than normal, and they all want to overtake you, in particular a stupid bitch in a current, white Pajero, FOOL !!!!

No doubt John W will have pictures, and maybe others.

Ray
    R8 Dream likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

I have only one photo, not least because of the sun direction. "Sam's A110" (probably the name is immortalised now!) is a superb, strong blue. Personally, I think it is set off very nicely by the Rouge Trinidad............

The car is a credit to Ray's long persistence. I couldn't believe it when we arrived simultaneously at the event from opposite directions!

Oh, and there's a Facel Vega there too. Just as common as Renault R8s in Perth it seems....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-r8-sams-alpine.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnW; 30th April 2018 at 03:27 AM.
    geckoeng likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Out of the Workshop Under It's Own Power:

The beast fair Boogies with the 16TS motor in the back, and the Webers sound so good through K&Ns.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0215.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	105443

I wll sleep well tonight !
    Ray
    Ray,
    I hope it's not a silly question, but do you need to take engine out ( or drop the rear axel transom) to change the spark plugs?
    Angelo
    Paul T likes this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Ray,
    I hope it's not a silly question, but do you need to take engine out ( or drop the rear axel transom) to change the spark plugs?
    Angelo
    They can be changed with the engine in place. #4 is easy, #3 is harder, #2 harder again & #1 is the hardest.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Ray,
    Angelo
    He has made a special tool for the job. Which I imagine Ray has made many over the years.

Sorry I missed the event guys. Wanted to be there. Especially to see the Alpine in a different light. Superb work Ray!
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Went to Classic Cars and Coffee this afternoon had very favorable comments, inparticular how cramped the engine compartment looked. But actually it is only the Webers that do that.

95km on the clock now, a few small niggles to sort out and a final engine tune, and it will be turned over to Sam.

It is terrible to drive in traffic, you see more idiots than normal, and they all want to overtake you, in particular a stupid bitch in a current, white Pajero, FOOL !!!!

No doubt John W will have pictures, and maybe others.

Ray
    Welcome to the world of A110 driving in Perth traffic!!
    Shoji likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    He has made a special tool for the job. Which I imagine Ray has made many over the years.

I have a special tool made up also, from 3/8 drive "T" bar, extension, universal & spark plug socket.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Ray,
    Angelo
    Angelo,
    You need a "double articulated plug spanner ", and a short length of appropriate rubber hose.

The plug lead is removed, the spanner goes down the tube, undoes the plug about 80%, and the rubber hose is pushed down the tube onto the plug. Turn the remaining threads out and remove the plug. To install reverse the process.

Sam's Alpine A110 1600S !!!-20180430_101321.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Angelo,
    You need a "double articulated plug spanner ", and a short length of appropriate rubber hose.

The plug lead is removed, the spanner goes down the tube, undoes the plug about 80%, and the rubber hose is pushed down the tube onto the plug. Turn the remaining threads out and remove the plug. To install reverse the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180430_101321.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	105614
    Amazing Ray, were there is a will there will certainly be a way!

I am sure that being a contortionist will also help ��
    Cheers
    Angelo

I had a great day with a cruise in the 17 and a visit impromptu to Ray's workshop in between other things.
    Lucky I arrived at the time I did. Opportunity for a ride in the recently back on the road A110 and it looks a million dollars. It's not even run in yet but it goes like a stinker. Extremely enjoyed it. Glad to be a witness to the restoration. Thanks Ray.
    geckoeng and JohnW like this.

This last week has been a bit difficult, in that the "big 5 speed" was not shifting nicely, and the first/second gate was difficult to find. So the car on high stands and drop the nose of the gearbox so I could get the nose off and try and correct what was inside. Steven Swan was most helpful with parts book scans and advise. And after the 5th time of the nose cone coming off and on I got the feel of the gear lever I wanted. I have taken off all the spring loading of the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th gates, and it flows easy 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. And finding 1st is now very easy, where it was very difficult before. And thanks to Shoji for letting me take the nose cone off of his 395 so I could see what was needed before I even dropped the gearbox in the car.

It went for a 60km run this afternoon in a 28-30C temp, with no problems, and came back though detours in Thornlie and Langford for road works, with roundabouts and right hand corners, and it was through all the mid range gears, and worked very well. Had maybe 2 mis-shifts the entire 20 minutes encounter.

And had just returned to the workshop and Shoji had turned up, and the car was still warm, so took him for a short spin, which he enjoyed a lot, judging from the smile on his face. We needed tea and coffee after that, and sat and talked Renaults.

I do not push it hard as it is running in, 210km on the clock, so rev limiter is set at 4500rpm. But it still gets up and boooogies.

One thing I have not had for a long time, is a spark plug, just die. Well when I started it yesterday, it ran a few seconds and then ran on 3. #1 pipe was only at 75C while the others were at 250-270C. Pulled the plug and tested it to earth on the rocker cover, no spark. Put a new one, and perfect again. ?????

A good day !!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    I had a great day with a cruise in the 17 and a visit impromptu to Ray's workshop in between other things.
    Lucky I arrived at the time I did. Opportunity for a ride in the recently back on the road A110 and it looks a million dollars. It's not even run in yet but it goes like a stinker. Extremely enjoyed it. Glad to be a witness to the restoration. Thanks Ray.
    You can't beat good timing! Lucky man.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

It is getting close .... !!!

But some people get me veryyyy ruffled some times. Sam wanted Italian Webers, and had a "reputable friend" who has some fully serviced 45s on his shelf. So they were bought. Note I said nothing about the price. Well I got them and opened and cleaned and repaired them. And put a gasket set and needle and seat in each, and stored them for assembly.

When they were started up I had difficulty getting a nice idle, they would only sit nice at 1500-1600rpm. So yesterday I took them off and opened them completely. The front carb had no shaft (air) seals on the bearings, and no springs to hold the seals against the bearing outer ring. And when the idle screw was undone completely there was 0.2mm gap on #1 butterfly. So after some very careful manipulation I got the shaft straight, and put seals in. Back carb was sticking slightly off of closed position and found an ordinary washer on the shaft end, and not the notched one that fits on the flats of the shaft and rotates with the shaft, and sits against a small shoulder on the end of the shaft to give it a stop position.

Now the motor idles at 1100rpm beautiful sound and exhaust is a clean as can be, and it runs on 4 cylinders all the time.

All because the "salesman" said they were fully serviced.

But that is a whole day gone ..... !!!!

Ray
    Shoji and JohnW like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Well done Ray. Thought you might have to do something with them. Or you would not be happy with the job. Perfection .... gotta love it. See you Saturday if your in the workshop. I'll drop off the oil pump pick up

Page 4 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information