Sam's A110 V85 !!! - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Sam's A110 V85 !!!

Assembly Underneath :

Motor and gearbox into car, and bolted up. That is a major, and is very satisfying. It also means you can put the car on its wheels and roll it around on the floor. It was only to see where everything fitted, as no sooner was it on the floor, but it was back up on stands so I could start connecting everything , and get all of the final lengths done for electrics and final connect. Sam said it looked very full, but he hadn't seen it with the Webers and manifolds and air cleaners (to come).

Advertisement

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-wheels.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-engine-.jpg

As you can see from the car on the floor the back springs have no straps on, well this is how I compress the suspension to get the straps fastened. Sorry the picture was not the best, camera didn't want to use flash. I wrap the ratchet strap so it will pull the axle tube up to the crossmember. And ratchet !!!

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0197.jpg

One thing I did have to do was play with the hand brake mechanism and its mounting to the cross member. The lever arm was shortened considerably and it was turned upside down and moved to the LH side. But it made fitting the cable much easier. Then came making the cable, and getting the lengths exactly right. But in it went and connected and works very well. Once brakes are bedded in the final adjustment will be very good.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0212.jpg

Now I had made all the gear change in the motor-gearbox mock up stage, but it had only been done with the mockup water pipes in place. Now that the proper pipes were in place with all their isolation/anti-vibration pads it had become a bit cramped. So a slight revision was in order. After a bit of playing it started fitting properly, and the shifter mechanism was put in place and connected up and fastened. Well it was working properly and cleared all surroundings. A lot of the shifter base is from a R17 change mechanism. The knurled shaft and shaft end were the important parts, as they allow length and rotation adjustment, and then can be locked with the bolted collar (similar to the R16 column shift adjustment). I changed Steven Swans supplied mechanism quite a bit. Mainly for fit and strength.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0206.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0207.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0208.jpg
    Sam's A110 V85 !!!-17g-gear-mech.jpg

My shift mechanism uses (last numbers) from the drawing :
    xx151 knurled bar
    xx174 gear change tube
    xx400 bolted collar

My mechanism sort of reverses the shift pattern so (I hope) all the gears are in the right place. I did work with all the positions before the final fabrication. My ratios give me a nice short, tight shift gate, very positive. It is the basic pattern that Steven gave me.

Well it is all in , cable tied in place, and ready for the next part. A very satisfactory Australia Day.
    JohnW, Shoji and Dano like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Looks great Ray, don’t think I would like to tackle that without a hoist!

Brian,
    To be honest I hate hoists. I have a damaged back from them and prefer high stands and work on my back. Much more arm power. And I have seen cars come off of hoists. I have been taught properly how to put on stands, and only once in 55 years in a workshop, only seen once a car fall and that was because of an apprentice who knew everything. ( An Early millennial) .

Ray
    Shoji and Dano like this.
    Ray geckoeng

More Assembly :

Today was very busy (again).

Carbs mounted and assembled on motor. As most of the stuff was on the car already it was a easy task, as once bolted on connection was easy. Now it is cramped (at the top).

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-motor-carbs.jpg

Also fitted and connected was the crank case venting catch can. Hose was a bit kinked so made a spring for internal to keep it round.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-catch-can.jpg

And oil hoses for oil cooler were final fitting. The oil cooler is in the RH rear fender chamber under the air scoop. The radiator duct across the back of the car in blanked in the back compartment and a large hole was cut into the RH chamber and a set of walls glassed in for the oil cooler to sit in and mount to. Not easy to explain but easy to do (!!!!). The hoses come across the back frame as can be seen in the catch can picture

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-oil-cooler-block.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-oil-cooler-rh-wng.jpg

That was it.

Ray
    Dano and FIVEDOOR like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information