Sam's A110 V85 !!! - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Sam's A110 V85 !!!

Fellow Frogger!

Hopefully you can give us the story and pics of the installation of the Megajolt system. Raised it also in connection with your restoration of Graeme's RG8.

Advertisement

The Electrical System

Well the electrical system was put in and all the connections made. Started at the front and worked to the dash. I start with just laying all the wires in. They are all colour coded and tagged with what they attach to, probably about half a meter of extra wire on each end. The colour code comes from a rough wiring diagram I make up in the evenings at home when TV is “bad”. Good blues on from Youtube and just design the system.

Start at the lights and radiator fans and hooters. All connectors are crimped, soldered and heat shrinked. And start forming looms with cable ties. Then came connections to the relays and fuse box, and back through the firewall.

At this point I stop and go to the back of the car, and start on tail lights and work forward. I make separate loom for the Megajolt. It connects into the main loom with an ignition wire and rev counter line.

The system works for me, developed from wiring off-road race cars in ZA.

Eventually all the wires meet at the side panel in front of the LH door. Then I can lie on my back in the car for days just connecting under the dash. The 3 instrument panels all have junction plugs, so they can be removed easily. All the interior fuses and main control relays are on the board mounted on the side panel in front of the LH door.

Of course I tested all the gauges and was not able to get oil pressure and temp to work with the senders so decision was made, all VDO for centre panel.

Everything is fused, and all main power components are run off of relays, to save old switches (column switch) from damaged contacts. I would use plug in relays, but the bases take up space, and A110 are rather short of places to mount stuff like that. So I mount my relays in a compact formation on the electrics board and connect direct to them.

I have tested all the lights and indicators, and instruments as best I can. Now to complete the car and test the rest.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0123.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0130.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0131.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0132.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0133.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0135.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0137.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0138.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0139.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0159.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-megajolt-rear.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-rear-elecr.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-under-dash.jpg
    COL, R8 Dream and Kenfuego like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Gearbox 3

The assembly.

This really is simple assembly. The only complications, was getting the brake pipes correct fitting and the right length. And grinding the caliper webs for a bit of clearance for the Alpine wheels.

Even though I say it myself, the assembled article looks very good.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0122.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0123.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0125.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0127.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0128.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0129.jpg
    COL, R8 Dream and Kenfuego like this.
    Ray geckoeng

The Motor Build

This always starts with a dummy build. It enables me to make sure everything fits, and get the final external parts to fit with each other. It also involves assembly of the internal parts, checking clearances and that components are correct. Example was that one piston ring was not gapped. It would have caused problems in the final assembly stage. Also checking valve to piston clearance, with domed pistons and modified cam. Also found differences on the location dowels for the rocker assemblies.

I had use a different head for making the spacer tubes for the rockers on the rocker shafts. And 2 rockers were tight when bolted down. Just a slight difference of tolerances between the 2 heads.

Everything is cleaned again, and then it is just a nut and bolt assembly.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0140.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0141.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0142.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0143.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0144.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0145.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0146.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0147.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0148.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0149.jpg
    COL, 59 Floride, R8 Dream and 3 others like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Wheel Detailing and Space Saver

Sam bought a set of Alpine 13” wheels used. They were in good condition but needed a tidy up. First I had the centres machined out, so they can be put on wheel balancing machines. I was able to get some aluminium Alpine badges, so they were detailed and polished and blue background.

I sent he wheels to be chemically cleaned, and glass bead blasted. When I got them back the rim edge was polished up, and the wheels were cleaned with thinners and the sprayed with epoxy clear. They are completely sealed.

Because of the larger than normal front aluminium radiator, in the front. It put a compromise on space for a spare wheel. So Ex-Frogger kindly donated 2 narrow R12 13” rims for the task. One outer rim was cut off, and one inner rim was cut out. Some parts were trimmed, and then all re-welded together. Valve hole changed. And I machined a hole in the centre and welded in a reinforcing ring, so it can be put on a balancing machine. Of course as a space saver it is pained “Orange”. Now comes the difficult part, getting a 14x70x13 in WA. Everybody looked at me as if I was “simple in the Head” (do not reply). So the internet came into power, and Tyresales came to the rescue. Four days later the tyre was dropped off at the workshop. Middle finger to all tyre shops in Perth.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-20170503_083329.jpg
    COL, R8 Dream, Kenfuego and 1 others like this.
    Ray geckoeng

It has been some time. But now with the motor built, the electrics complete, and the rad system in. I seem to have got my head out from under the large rock that I have been under. Enough to get some writing done and the pictures to go with it.

One added note, is the number plate lights in "Electrical" are modifications, because nobody at the time carried the original type units. But, we had a scrap MGB at work and the lights looked very similar. So I removed them and with slight "panel beating" on the light cover they fitted perfect, thank you Lucas Electrical. Also in electrical the motor for the 2 speed wipers can be seen in position, man they work well, thank you Ren-Tin-Tin for supply.

Ray
    Last edited by geckoeng; 14th May 2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Ray geckoeng

Side Window Trim - New Glass :

Well Sam's A110 was originally in Mexico, when it took a major whack on the LH front, and I think the drivers door had a good bit of work done as well. When we stripped the car we realised the there were no drip gutters on the side window and door openings, and all the window trim which holds all the window and door seals in place was made up of bits and pieces of the aluminium extrusion, like 3 parts to the rear quarter light, and at least 2 pieces for the door window seal. The glass was also in poor condition wit numerous scratches.

So I ordered all the bits I needed from GBS, but (knowingly) they all come as straight extrusions. Well it was time to make the parts and get it all fitted with lots of sealer, so there would be no leaks.

What a mission, as none of the surfaces you mount on are flat and straight, and aligned with each other. So you are making all to compound curves. I made a rolling dolly for the bends in the seal mount extrusion, and the drip gutters were marked and cut and hand shaped, then glued and pop riveted to the body. Then the seal holding extrusion was made to fit.

I also had to make new pivot mechanisms for the glas, as the original was just hard screwed to the frame, the windows did not work. It is all very intricate work. and I would like to hear from others that may have done it before.

But it is all in now and working very properly, and will seal very well. Definitely not like before.

I also did a bit of finishing on the dash and instruments.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0120.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0121.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0122.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0123.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0124.jpg

I now start on the major mission of the door mechanisms and window channels and regulators, to fit in what is here. Another Mission !!!!

Ray
    R8 Dream and Kenfuego like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ray

Nice to see Sam's A110 is progressing well. Presume you will have an opening in the rear inside below the window to allow access to the water pump etc. Colin Stark has a really neat arrangement on his Group 4 A110 that I saw in detail while doing historic racing at Phillip Island last March. By the way, can you tell me the brand name of the stop watches on Sam's dash and where you obtained them and cost if available?

1000+ Posts

Love your work Ray. Real labour of love, what do the correct number plate lights look like, if you have a pic? Still have some NOS electrical stored in the garage, some Renault but not sure what they fitted (and I may have used them on a project already...)

Ken.

Hi Bazzamac - Yes there is a hatch cover in the box shelf (some spare wheel) area that is bolted down, to give access to the water pump assembly. I tried quite a bit to get a R18 head for Sam, but they seem a bit scarce. I have for my Alpinised Dauph. The stop watches Sam brought in a box to show me and I claimed them for his dash detail. They are Japanese I believe, not sure of the name.

Kenfuego - The correct French number plate lights look very similar to the Lucas ones, but are fractionally smaller. They fit perfectly on the rebate shelf at the bottom of the number plate recess. The Lucas were about 2 mm too big, so got modified. Thank you for the comments on the work, I am so into the project I am not seeing it as a whole yet. LH door went on today, with a few adjustments, as these things were not very accurately made. You have to work with everything. But I have made progress.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Bazzamac The stop watches are "Diamond" on ebay I see them at about $45 - $50 each, not sure of the mounted type. Rally Car Series.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Window Surrounds and Glass

When the doors and side surrounds were taken apart I never realised they were in such bad shape. But when I started to rebuild them the reality of the situation came home to me.

It started with the window surrounds. These were made of bits and pieces of original extrusion. RH side was 4 parts and LH was 5 parts. They are supposed to be I continuous extrusion front and back of the flat bar “B” pillar. These were also recycled, and shaped with odd instruments as they were in very poor condition on the inside of the extrusion. There was no drip gutter fitted to this car, hence it was like Vitoria Falls in the rainy season. There were also no rubber seal in between the extrusions and body, just a generous squirt of silicone sealer.

The drip gutter is a continuous piece of extrusion, with a notch cutting for the B piller. That is a compound curve shape to fit the window opening. I shaped to almost perfect and then stuck it in place with sealer and pop riveted with countersunk rivets. First stage complete.

Then the glass seal extrusion was formed with a tool I made to keep its profile during bending. The first was the most difficult to develop a technique. Once I realised the method of forming it got easier.

What I also realised with the reconstruction of rear quarter lights, was that the originals never moved, the holding frames were hard screwed to the B pillar, so I had to make mechanisms for the glass to pivot.

Eventually after a good bit of time the side frames were fully attached to the car with rubber flat seals in place and sealant. A bit of polishing and it looked very good.

It was at this stage Sam and I decided new glass was real, as existing glass was very scratched, and a front quarter light was the wrong size to fit the opening.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-drip-gutter-fitted.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-lh-rear-glass-closed.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-lh-rear-glass-open.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-rh-rear-glass-fitted.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-side-frames-gutter-fitted.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0137.jpg   Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0138.jpg  
    Ray geckoeng

Door Internals and Glass Movement

I got to the doors and the assembly, and thought well this will be done soon.

Ha !!! I started with the LH door, and it came home the slide frames and guides were not fixed to the inner door properly, and the lowere supports were only made from radio installation “mechano strips” and looked nothing like the parts in the parts book. There was also no glass guide running down the back of the glass in the door. That is why the original glass just wobbled around. Make parts and try to understand how it all fits together. Eventually got it all together with glass and winder assembled. It all fouled up and the moving arm was scraping on the main slider frame and stopped half way down. The actual winder mechanism was just wrong to go in there. That is why it was put together like it was with no supports. It could all move when the window was working.

COL came to my rescue with links to some A110 doors being assembled on the internet. Suddenly I could see that the winder mechanisms were too thick and assembled very different to what I had taken out of the door. They were based on the Duaphine units but wit subtle changes. So cut and shut happened. Suddenly I had 5mm thinner mechanisms and with the return spring opposite way around. Put it in the door, assembled the glass in, and it all worked like it was supposed to.

Well Both doors were final assembled and fitted to the car. The window seal was fitted in its extrusion in the door surrounds and then the glass position final adjusted to just press against the seal. The job was not nearly as easy as I expected, but I am now very happy with the assembly, even though it took so long to get to completion.

Attachment 99657Attachment 99658Attachment 99659Attachment 99660Attachment 99661Attachment 99662Attachment 99663Attachment 99664Attachment 99665Attachment 99666Attachment 99667Attachment 99668Attachment 99669
    Last edited by geckoeng; 3rd September 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    JohnW likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Bazzamac The stop watches are "Diamond" on ebay I see them at about $45 - $50 each, not sure of the mounted type. Rally Car Series.

Ray
    Thanks Ray. Eventually bought Adriatica Swiss made items from the UK that were on EBay. Bit more expensive than the ones you mention but are of excellent quality.

Progress :

Now that I am in the assembly process of the project it is more satisfying, as you see your project grow. I have had a few small things that need fixing to make them right. But basically it has progressed well. Getting all the front compartment to assembly stage was time consuming, but eventually it all bolts together and assembles well. Spare wheel fits snug, but is easy to remove and fit. It was nice to have the glass tank support repaired as the tank can now fit securely to the body.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-car-front-1.jpg

I shampooed all the interior carpets, and they looked very good. Then to fit the roll cage (genuine Devil) I had to glue most of the upholstery (carpets) into the car and then fit the roll cage. It uses seat belt bolts on the side, so that is all done at the same time. But once in it looks "cool" and gives the car "street cred".

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-roll-cage-1.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-roll-cage-2.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-roll-cage-3.jpg

Then came the real part. I pulled the gearbox suspension out, and brought the motor into the workshop. Engine crane and trolley and assembled the motor to the gearbox. Now that is progress. Of course the installation of the assembly into the car is a major step for the project, and that starts tomorrow. It looks good together. Of course all the peripherals will be added once in the body. That will be some work.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-1.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-2.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-3.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-4.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-5.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-g-b-mot-assy-6.jpg

And another important part, was getting all the front suspension into the chassis. The full beauty canot be seen in the pictures, but looks very good.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-front-susp-1.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-front-susp-2.jpg

That is it for the moment.

Ray
    Paul T, COL, Shoji and 2 others like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Love the pics, good update on real progress. Curious about the breather arrangement Ray ?

Bustamif !!

I have always found that the 807 run on the thick rings, when they are run hard get a bit much bypass. So I put vents in the crankcase and take it to a catch can, vented to atmosphere, and a vacuum line back to carbs/air box. Now with modern forged pistons with the narrow rings, no ring flutter at high RPM and no excessive bypass. But thick rings give better seal at low RPM. 6 of 1 .....

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Now last night I forgot one of the most important parts of the rebuild.

The radiator air intake grill. Stainless steel mesh, welded to a 3mm SS frame and then "electro polished", and the fitted in its place in the front of the car. it will be a bit hidden under the front number plate, and you will have to get on hands and knees to see it, but it will be there. Mainly to stop little furry animals and small children getting in the radiator.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-air-grill.jpg

Ray
    JohnW likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Having seen the car in the flesh a couple of weeks ago, I can attest to Ray's superb workmanship on this project. I only hope that my A110 will be half as good as this one sometime in the (distant) future.
    Great work Ray!
    JohnW likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

Thanks "nauli". Always welcome !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Hi Ray and Sam
    The car is really starting to take shape since my visit, it is a credit to you Ray.
    I would like some detail of the gearbox gear selection system you are employing if possible.
    Keep up the posts as I enjoy following the progress.

Rob

Hi Rob,
    Thanks for comments.

Motor and box go in today, as soon as gear linkage is in will take pictures. Have modified Steven Swan's supplied linkage to be more compact, and it seems to work very well. At least selects all gears, and easily.

The proof is ......... !!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information