• Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Sam's A110 V85 !!!

Thank You, will check the sump !!!

Advertisement
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Gear Change, Handbrake and some interior !!

There have been a lot of little projects done since the last section was added. So I will give a combination of bits for the moment in a working group.

First thing, the centre tunnel inside the car, was in terrible condition, and was a part I had not done before it went to bodywork and paint. So I made a decision to cut the top off completely, and then make a “capping” cover that was detachable. This is always a difficult area to work in, with the 2 water heater hoses in there, and a fuel line. Also this fuel line was glassed into the top RH corner of the tunnel, and had been butchered to the point you could just get fuel hose attached to it at each end. I also had to mod the gear stick ball and socket, and use a R10 gear lever, as the original had been “worked” on.

To start, I covered the tunnel with “flash tape” in the area that needed to be cut out, and then glassed onto the flash tape giving it a good lip that hung over the sides so I could attach it to the tunnel once all was cut and trimmed. This also meant the cover would be the exact shape of the top of the tunnel. Next day came in and stripped it all apart. Cut the top of the tunnel and cleaned all the inside, in particular getting the old fuel line out. Did some repair to the tunnel in the throttle pedal area. Once the new cover panel was trimmed to shape, and fitted in place, I pop riveted it in place with 4 pops and then drilled the holes for the rivnuts. Drilled the pops out and everything was now ready to put the rivenuts into the tunnel. I never just fit rivnuts to composites, I always add chassis glue as well. It makes a very strong mounting and they do not spin loose. (I use 3M 9323 because I have it) And I use a screw mechanism handle to screw up my rivenuts as I do not believe the crimping pliers pull hard enough (personal).

All of the holes in the cover were reinforced with a countersunk washer. I have a tool to punch a standard thin plated washer into a countersink. These are then glued to the cover, also with chassis glue.

A new gear lever was made from a R10 unit. The chassis tube needed to be modified for the mounting. I cut ht e R10 shaft down to a reasonable length, very slightly shorter than a standard A110 stick. Sam always felt the one in the car was too short. As the original gear knob was glued to the stick, I made a new one from a nice piece of Jarrah. The new lever also has a bolt welded in the top so we have a screw on gear knob.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0074.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0064.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Gear Change, Handbrake and some interior Cont. :

The V85 came with a R16 type umbrella handle hand brake. And sports/GT cars do not have “umbrella handle handbrakes”. Now I have an association with a Range Rover man, and he always has these vehicles in a state of disassembly. And I liked the compact hand brake mechanism. So I removed one, and mocked it in the area a hand brake should be. It looked very good, so I continued. First thing was to shorten the mechanism on the mounting plate, and to make the mounting plate a bit smaller. The side of the tunnel was cut out, and the lever mechanism mocked in place. A bracket was made to mount the unit on the side of the chassis tube and was welded in. A cable guide and a cable end holding eye was welded under the car to the chassis tube. A glass fibre cover was made to mount to the side of the tunnel and cover the mechanism of the hand brake lever, mounted in with rivenuts.

As I was going to split up the heater tubes and run the return water back in the radiator tube. I decided to put an aluminium tube in the tunnel. This has insulation foam wrapped over it so it keeps heat in the tube. With ali tabs mounted inside the tunnel it is well secured wit cable ties and is now easy to install compared to getting a rubber hose down the tunnel. The new copper fuel line is also in there with a plastic sleeve covering.

Classic style seats are also now fitted with modified Renault runners.

Starting to assemble, a great time in a rebuild project.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0075.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0072.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0073.jpg
    JohnW likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

By the way the gear lever was in very bad shape, looked like a Pelican had fixed it (bird shit).

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-a110-gera-lever.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

I've wondered how you could make such a mess of that componentry. Maybe tackling gearchange problems at the wrong end of the linkage system?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I've always been amazed at how similar Range Rover gear is to Peugeot. Switches, and now even the hand brake (not all of it)
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Fellow Frogger!

has the heater control arrived yet ray?
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Hi Peter,
    Yes thanks, that will make a very nice unit. Am doing some preliminary dash now, as Next is get all the loom in, so I know where all the under dash goes.

Thank you,
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

A Bit More Progress Inside

This last 2 weeks I have felt a bit more creative. Mainly because I was a bit pissed off fixing bodged jobs done in the past. So when I had a bit of time I would get into some stuff Sam can see when he comes in.

I got the center console cover completed and the gear change and hand brake boots made and the base dash panel completed and installed. These are all finickie bits, but I find them very satisfying to look at. The final dash layout is now being decided in my head. And refurbishing a very good heater control (donation of Peter J).

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0063.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0061.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0062.jpg
    Dano and renoamust like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Good job with the handbrake. I found that the umbrella system just didn't cut it and I installed a hydraulic brake system that has also cables working the rear brakes as back up - system came from Rix Engineering in the UK. At the same time, I installed a dual barking system and a big brake package. Worked a treat in Targa Tassie. What is the container in front of the gear stick and handbrake - hiding a kill switch?

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Sorry about that. Here is a photo of my car when on display at Rolfe Renault dealership last year - you can see that the rear has fairly wide hips that accommodated my original wheels. I am unable to email the article I spoke about in my previous post as it occupies too much memory so will put it on a disc and mail it to Sam and Rob.

Attachment 81568
    G'day Bazza
    I didn't realise how square the faring on your car was until I saw the additions that Ray has put on that car, It's a pity to have changed it to Blue as in Silver is was different to most.

Mark C.

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    And Thurs last week the body came back from the paint shop :

Attachment 81353Attachment 81354Attachment 81355Attachment 81356
    G'day Ray
    This project is looking awesome, with the work you do all you need to find the time to wheel the gun over these jobs and your the whole package.
    I hope Sam has come and seen what a fantastic piece of art you've done on it. Even if the jigsaw has just began....

Mark C.

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for comments. I used to do all my own bodywork and spray, but with the mess and dust, even using a spray booth, my sinuses stopped liking me and I stopped bodywork. Even when I visit my body shops now I have trouble after, so I leave the work to them. That is why all the grinding and sanding on the A110 was done outside in "the wind tunnel" of my alleyway.

Bazza,
    When I did Tom Riley's A110 I hated the hand brake, which sort of worked. But Sam's mechanism just didn't work, so I decided something needed doing to make it better.

Sam visits every Fri afternoon, so we discussed switch positions in the dash and a few other pieces, yesterday.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

HEY BAZZA what breed of dog are you using for you duel barking system [tong in cheek)
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Sam visits every Fri afternoon, so we discussed switch positions in the dash and a few other pieces, yesterday.
    Ray, did Sam like the dash fascia you made for it? It looked very sporty. Well done.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

Fellow Frogger!

Very funny. Fat finger typing.

Bazza,
    Sorry didn't answer your post completely.

The panel in front of gear stick is 2 power point plugs. For charging mobile phone, GPS speedo or radar device. And 2 means you can multifunction !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Great idea. I presume that they are similar to power plugs for cigarette lighters? I have used that location for an internal kill switch that cuts off power to the coil and fuel pump.

Bazza,
    Yes they are like cigarette lighters, they are the Narva type and come individually or in a twin pack with mounting frame. Graeme has them in the Gordini and uses them all the time.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

As well as the ones in the cabin I have them on the radiator panel out of sight in the Gordini and the Alconi.

In addition to driver aids and data acquisition they are very useful for timing lights, gas analysers, tyre pumps and the list goes on.

The cooling and Front Radiator

This is a bit of a task and thought provoking (means I needed to think for a change and plan). This task was incorporated with doing the gear change mechanism, as both share the centre tunnel space and need to work together. First I needed to note was the 17G nose on the box had all the mechanism to the left of the box, and the change mechanism from the gear lever would need to cope. This meant that the rad tubes needed to come down the RH side and exit the chassis tube on the RH side as well.

The Radiator box was made with the glass work when the body was upgraded. I now made all the mount pads and clamps to hold the radiator in place in the air box. All the ali brackets have a hard foam rubber insulation on them to take up any vibration when the car is running. The chassis centre tube needed 2 holes cut in the front end, so the rad tubes could come through. The motor end of the centre tubes needed tight 90deg bends just in front of the gearbox. I would also need to cope with the circulation of the heater water.

The heater water leaves the water pump at the thermostat side and goes forward and down to the top RH side, all in rubber. Then into the glass tunnel that covers the centre tube of the chassis. The heater tube runs above the chassis tube and exits just behind the front crossmember and terminates there. This tube is aluminium with a foam heat shield on it. Then in rubber it goes up and through the bulkhead into the RH foot well to the heater controls. The outlet goes back tot the bulkhead and through and down to the return radiator tube forward and below the front suspension.

I got all the bends and straight aluminium tube measured and cut and then worked out the assemblies, so they could be put in place in the chassis. And then be joined with flexible radiator hose. All was welded, and checked they were in the right positions and lengths were correct. A rough assembly was done and once satisfied, I swaged all the ends so the hoses would be snug with hose clamps on. All the system was pressure tested, and the only 2 leaks were cleaned and finish welded.

All was assembled in the car for the final time, and looked very good.

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0128.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0129.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0130.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0131.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0132.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0133.jpg

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0134.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0135.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0138.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0141.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0143.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0144.jpg

Sam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0150.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0151.jpgSam's A110 V85 !!!-dscn0152.jpg

Last picture is through the water pump panel in the rear firewall of the cabin. For easy servicing of fan belt.
    Ray geckoeng

Is there a specific reason you are running the cooling fans pushing rather than pulling?

Fans work best on the exhaust side of radiators, so I would figure it to be free additional cooling.

Zuffen,
    I have used electric fans front and rear of the radiator, and both have worked very well for me. Never heard they work best sucking through the rad ????

Ray
    Wildebeest and JohnW like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ray

Any more news on Sam's A110 project? Things have gone strangely quite since your last post in early November.

Well Dec I started to lay cables for the electrics, and it is all in and loom taped. A few loose ends until motor goes in, and Megajolt also wired in and loomed. Just having to repair all the lights as some backyard monkey has had a go at them, or just stuck everything up with Silicon. Main light mount rings remade from R4 buckets, and being plated. And one spot being re-silvered. Making spot light adjuster screws for one side, as it just had ordinary short bolts holding it in.

So it is just the frustrating time consuming things I am doing at the moment, to get the electrical finished. Pictures and story later.

OOHhh !!! and we had Christmas in between when I did a major service and maintenance on my Isuzu/Rodeo ute. 450,000km.

I went back to work on the A110 for a rest !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information