• 8 Post By Balki
  • 2 Post By Balki
  • 2 Post By gerrypro
  • 1 Post By Balki
  • 2 Post By Balki
  • 3 Post By Balki

Thread: Citroen B14 small restoration

Default Citroen B14 small restoration

Picked up this lovely B14 1927 model last weekend, its been in a musseum for 3 years then sat in the owners shed for a bit over 2 with birds and rats and possums doing there dirty work on it and in it, they have chewed a hole in one front seat and in the middle of the rear seat, also one of the winder handle knobs, engine hasnt run for many years,

got it home saturday and checked oil and water etc ready to start it, put fuel in spent 10min working out what button on the dash does what, turned fuel on and cranked it over, took a bit to get it to start but it ran, it was only running on 3 cylinders and after fixing a fouled plug it still only ran on 3.5 cylinders, at the same time the carby needle and seat must be shot as the carby just over flows with petrol.

Monday, I thought i better check the valve clearances in case it had a stuck valve, all clearances reasonable so in with the compression tester, well well, number one 10psi number 2,3,4, 70 psi, I then removed the cylinder head and found cylinder 1 valves badly corroded after being left open for years, so i removed all the valves and took them to a mates workshop and reground them to as good as new

Tuesday, recut the vales seats in the block and installed the valves and adjusted clearances, cleaned and painted sylinder head and engine side cover, just waiting for my new head gasket NOS on ebay AUS to arrive, then we should be motoring

This car is a bit rare i think, it was assembled in Milano and has a green and gold badge not blue and gold and has fabrica italiano Milano written around the perimeter

Advertisement

Citroen B14 small restoration-5.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-6.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-7.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-8.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-10.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-15.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-photo-1.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-photo-2.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-photo-3.jpg
    seasink, FIVEDOOR, JohnW and 5 others like this.

All this without me?
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

if you are quick you might see it with its head still off

UFO

I hope we'll get to appreciate this beauty at next year's Cit In.

It will definitly be at the Tassie Cit-in,
    I finished the engine the other day, painted the head and bloke and the horn put in new radiator hoses and ordered period brass hose clamps and bonnet corner protectors from the UK which should add some period touchs, I managed to get a OEM head gasket in stock in Australia for $50

Citroen B14 small restoration-55.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-56.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-57.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-59.jpg

I ended up with it running very smoothly but couldnt get the idle down low enough due to wear in the carby, so i dismantled the carby and found the buttfly worn on the sides but not the top and bottom, so carefully i filed down the top and bottom of the butterfly to make it shut further and inprove the sealing around it, i also found there wasnt enough end float on the spindle shaft so after some careful filing of the carby body it inproved the shut of the butterfly to as new, refitted and fired it up and found i can run the idle right down to 300 rpm and it still keeps ticking over, it will idle that slow that i reckon you could nearly change the fan belt while its going
    Dano and FIVEDOOR like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Amazing !!! Is the oil pressure to low if the idle is set down really low Have you taken it for a spin yet
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane you are right, the oil preasure guage drops right down to the bottom of the gauge if the idle is set to low, I have set it around 600 rpm seems happy at that, I would love to take it for a spin but I currently have a broken ankle and its in plaster so all I have managed to do is work on it, waiting for a friend who owns a 1923 Peugeot and knows how to drive it to come and drive it for me

Is that a Milano numberplate and yet right hand drive. Interesting. Looks great.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Italy didnt enforce right hand driving across the board till 1927, unsure how where what but it definitley wasnt converted

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

I love the fact that the inlet valves are on the RHS of the motor and the Carby is on the left. What a torturous induction path. Please can you describe the manifolding? I love this car. You are very fortunate!
    Lasya and Dano like this.
    Cheers Gerry

Glad you noticed that gerry, the intake manifold is cast in the block and runs between the two middle cylinders then spreads to each inlet valve, by the time the air get to the cylinder it must be 80 degrees, so much for a cold air intake

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Glad you noticed that gerry, the intake manifold is cast in the block and runs between the two middle cylinders then spreads to each inlet valve, by the time the air get to the cylinder it must be 80 degrees, so much for a cold air intake
    Via the aussiefrogs App
    That is seriously nice. Great work to find, buy and fix. Hope the ankle fixes as well.

I think it was a B14 on the Antiques Road Show a couple of nights ago - soft top with a rear tailgate.

There's a starter motor on the other side of the engine, or not?

Isn't it amazing what came to Oz over the years!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

starter motor is on the right hand side but over the top of the bellhousing so you can't see it
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 1923 Pug.

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Shane you are right, the oil preasure guage drops right down to the bottom of the gauge if the idle is set to low, I have set it around 600 rpm seems happy at that, I would love to take it for a spin but I currently have a broken ankle and its in plaster so all I have managed to do is work on it, waiting for a friend who owns a 1923 Peugeot and knows how to drive it to come and drive it for me

Hi Balki,Wondering what model your mates '23 Pug is.

Nice score eh!!-Rubbery as we say!!

Peter.

1923 type 163 open tourer im fairly sure, he also restoring a quadralette

finally got around to working on the B14 again, had a mate fully recondition the carby to make it pretty and frabricate a needle and seat for it because it kept overflowing the float chamber when i let the car sit for a few hours, also had the magneto repaired due to a weak spark, guy that did it couldnt believe it actually ran in the condition it was in, he had to rewind one of the coils because there was a short, put it on my trailer and took it in to my work tonight to fit a new exhaust, thought you guys might like a picture of the best way to lift a vintage carCitroen B14 small restoration-photo-1-7-.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-photo-2-6-.jpg
    1915 type 153 and tresbon like this.
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

The generator burnt out the windings a few months ago and I have decided to covert it to 12 volts, makes starting easier and as the 8 volt battery has died it seems the best solution, but I want to keep it looking original so I bought a Yanmar ym1500 permanent magnet alternator 15 amp inside the original generator housing, I have attached some pictures that shows the setup, I made a small shaft to bolt to the front of the new alternator and goes through my original front bearing to fit my pully and fan to the front of it.

I also had to buy new tyres as the previous owner at some point fitted 18 inch tyres to 45cm rims, when I hit a bump on the road it would knock the tyre out of center causing the car to shake like crazy, so now it has a proper set of Michelin double rivet tyres like it had when it left the factory

Citroen B14 small restoration-img_4776.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-img_4777.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-img_4778.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-img_4780.jpgCitroen B14 small restoration-img_4779.jpg
    Dano, garyk and PeterMol like this.
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Fellow Frogger!

lovely , thanks for sharing

Me too. Lovely, thanks for sharing. Can you get enough revs for the alternator with the standard pulley? I guess that is actually the benefit of the alternator - charging amps at low revs.

Some of us in the 6V Renault brigade have acquired (large diameter) 6V alternators from USA. However, yours is much better disguised as a generator.

I still reckon the car is a wonderful find/acquisition.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information