• 2 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 3 Post By Peter Chisholm
  • 2 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By J-man

Thread: How to make a head gasket

Default How to make a head gasket

Not even I would be this crazy (unless I was desperate) but it's good to know it can be done..

https://youtu.be/KzzkYb6D22M

Advertisement

Well. I'll be. Looks as though he's made lots of 'em that way and very good hand to eye co-ordination

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Not even I would be this crazy (unless I was desperate) but it's good to know it can be done..

https://youtu.be/KzzkYb6D22M
    Thanks, I like that, closest I have come to is making a gasket kit for pair of SU's I had trouble sourcing gaskets kits for at the time.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Thanks, I like that, closest I have come to is making a gasket kit for pair of SU's I had trouble sourcing gaskets kits for at the time.
    I like this method a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uXkVbprj0

I made one out of copper sheet for a mark 4 jaguar in Targa tasmania to get him out of trouble, worked a treat

Can anyone hazard a guess what material they use for head gaskets and where it might be sourced from, no not copper the other stuff from post 1..?

This company seem to have a range of materials.

Gasket materials ? Just seal it! - VICTOR REINZ
    Sunroof, 59 Floride and Dano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I like this method a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uXkVbprj0
    I considered that option, but figured storage space for the equipment is a problem, finding room for a Stanley knife and a pencil is much less of a challenge
    Kenfuego and J-man like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Can anyone hazard a guess what material they use for head gaskets and where it might be sourced from, no not copper the other stuff from post 1..?
    Hmm, me thinks you want to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Hmm, me thinks you want to give it a go.
    I would definitely give it a red hot crack if I needed one and the universe wasn't providing 'don't you worry about that'.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Making your own gaskets, almost a lost "Art" - good thread.

I would definitely give it a red hot crack if I needed one and the universe wasn't providing 'don't you worry about that'.
    Used to buy mine from Repco in assorted sheet sizes and thicknesses, still have bits and pieces left over that I use occasionally when I need a specific gasket. Failing that, if you can get to scavenge the waste bins at local gasket makers, what they chuck out might supply you enough for a lifetime of small gasket making. AA Gaskets - About

I find that if you nicely ask people who work in the industry, you can usually get a tip from them as to where you can buy sheet material sufficient to make up a head gasket. In fact some are so helpful that they will just give you the material... otherwise you might have to buy bulk lots in various sizes.

Then again it became so easy and much cheaper to buy precut gaskets without wastage i.e. sump and tappet cover gaskets, but I used to save the waste middle bits when they were included as well in the precut stuff - handy for use as smaller gaskets.

My sons Porsche was held up in a workshop for a few weeks while they sourced a carburettor gasket from Germany, when 10 minutes work with a ball peen hammer and some gasket material would have enabled them to get the car out of their workshop and back on the road.

I still have some of the rolls of gasket paper I bought 50years ago, and have made many paper gaskets from them.

I guess I got lazy just like everyone else, but sometimes there are better materials available now, especially for low pressure oil sealing of sumps and tappet covers, with the abandonment of just plain cork gaskets, and then the improved laminated cotton and cork, for the new composite materials sourced in modern precut gasket sets.

Good to see that some are willing to make their own when required. Which is handy when NOS parts are no longer available for your treasured car.

Good thread.

Ken

I'm no stranger to making gaskets and have become fairly adept at things like cork sump and tappet cover gaskets, and paper gearbox gaskets. If you own an old Fregate you learn to use leather punches, scissors and craft knives because if you do manage to find a gasket set it is so old you need to soak them in water to rehydrate them. I did however manage to find a newly made Fregate head gasket to suit my engine but would need to be fairly desperate to make one from scratch.

I've been making my own gaskets (but not head and sump) for years. Doesn't everyone? Sounds a bit lazy but I reckon it's quicker, and possibly cheaper, just to make one on the spot.
    Dano, 59 Floride and Sunroof like this.

By the time the purchase of oil jointing or cork is added up and labor factored in, a gasket set makes sense.

Although I have had a few where the fit has been pretty average.

I bought a sheet of 1.5mm grey compound, steel reinforced gasket material from my local engineers supplies shop about 10 years ago, since then I've made exhaust (and some inlet) manifold gaskets from it.
    In my experience, the exhaust ones are the most needed, as it seems that the manifolds come off and on more often than other engine overhaul operations. The sets always seem to lose the manifold gaskets first.

I've also drawn up some of the more often needed paper ones on my cad, then print it out on the gasket paper to aid accurate cutting, by hand. The old DS19 gearchange system valves, coolant/LP pump and gearbox gaskets are now readily available... via the printer.

Haven't tried a head gasket yet, but after seeing the first clip.... I reckon I'd give it a go.... maybe.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

I once "made" a head gasket for a Perkins P4 by coating the old one with silver sheen paint. Does that count?

Roger
    Kenfuego and Sunroof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I once "made" a head gasket for a Perkins P4 by coating the old one with silver sheen paint. Does that count?

Roger
    If it worked - good lateral thinking. If it didn't - what were you thinking?

1000+ Posts

Icon14 You do what you have to do, if you don't have......

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post

Roger
    That was a regular quick fix for the old Ford Prefect (Defect!!) in far off "no money to spend on new parts" days Roger, Cheap, very effective and never burnt one out using the old "Silver Frost" paint of those days.

I'd suggest that modern silver paint is not of the same robust makeup with acrylics and other plastic stuff in the mix these days...

Ken

When I was a young fella, I made a head gasket for my model aeroplane engine using the foil seal in a new tin of Milo. Worked a treat
    59 Floride and Sunroof like this.
    cheers,

John

Thread Information