• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Brianbcs
  • 1 Post By R8 Dream

Thread: R8 Restoration project

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8 Restoration project

It's been a while since I updated the progress on the R8 G replica project. The whole gearbox/axle/trunnion seal thing has been done to death on a previous post.The Fiat brake conversion took much longer than anticipated due to sourcing the bits,this is now completed apart from o'hauling the calipers.
    So yesterday,despite a bloody hot day here in Traralgon,with the help from son Damo we managed to marry the transaxle assembly to the body.I know there have been previous posts on how to do this but our method involved jacking /hoisting the body to a height sufficient to clear the shocker towers.. 600mm I think..sliding the transaxle under the body,then simply lowering it down onto the transaxle.We had two Super Cheap hydraulic jacks under the axles and blocks of wood at the front of the box and a combination of jacking and lowering had the entire thing bolted up in 1/2 hour! Very smooth sailing! The "turfer" hoist only really served the purpose as backup as I didn't have a lot of confidence in the shed trusses.The pics will show it all.
    So a very exiting stage as the R8 is on her feet again and the project can only move forward from here!!
    Cheers BrianR8 Restoration project-p1100367.jpgR8 Restoration project-p1100368.jpgR8 Restoration project-p1100369.jpgR8 Restoration project-p1100371.jpg

Advertisement
    R8 Dream, JohnW and J-man like this.

Looking good Brian.
    Are you using the Longer R8G axle straps or the shorter A110 ones? I used the shorter A110 ones and one failed at the bolt hole. Getting some longer strap this week.

Paul.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Fellow Frogger!

That's interesting Paul as mine are the short ones also.They are certainly short...needed a lot of effort to fit up without any weight on the axles! I bought them from Meca.Will be keen to hear how your longer ones work out. Brian

Galvanised chains are sometimes used. If you cut them a bit long, that allows them to be adjustable, and if you insert them in some old bicycle tubing, they won't rattle. Don't forget to cut/drill a couple of small holes in the tubing, at the lowest point, for water to drain out.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

I bought some industrial belting offcuts from a place in seven hills and made my own.
    Looks very much the original Gordini ones I've been told - about twice as wide as the R1130/1132 ones.

I have no idea what the genuine ones look like though.
    KB

Likewise I used some conveyor belt material cut to 50mm wide. I based mine on the Mecapart lengths.

Attachment 80561Attachment 80562
    J-man likes this.

Yep, same stuff. Mine might be a little more Orange in colour than yours, or it could just be your flash.
    KB

All looking very nice!

Does anyone know, to raise an old chestnut, why the weights on the trailing arms are bolted on where they are bolted on? I'd always assumed it was to kill a resonance, noticed and fixed about a week before the car was on sale.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah John,I am in the process of restoring mine and have been careful not to alter the position of the weights for the same reason..not really knowing if it matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    That's interesting Paul as mine are the short ones also.They are certainly short...needed a lot of effort to fit up without any weight on the axles! I bought them from Meca.Will be keen to hear how your longer ones work out. Brian
    Hi Brian,
    I also got mine through Meca. They only had the shorter Alpine ones which I fitted and one broke at the bolt hole.
    The Alpine straps are 335mm long and the R8 Gordini, R8 and R10 are 395mm, quite a difference.
    The straps supplied by meca are made from transmission belt and I couldn't get any locally, so I went to our local hydraulic hose business and bought a 5m roll of Conveyor belt the same dimensions for $10.00 and made 2 new ones as in the photo. From what I have been told the conveyor belt is stronger than transmission belt. Got plenty left over if I break any more.

I also painted the black conveyor belt with beige vinyl paint to match.

R8 Restoration project-dsc_5154.jpg

Good luck,
    Paul.
    Last edited by Paul T; 12th February 2016 at 10:45 AM.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Paul, I know I can get conveyor belt locally so will give it a go. Whilst I think of it and on a different topic, does anyone know if the fuel sender unit as fitted to the front tank of an 8G is the same as an R4 unit?

The tank itself is an R4 tank, my guess would be yes.
    KB

12 Volts !!!!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

12 volts..good point Ray!

Voltage won't matter.

The sender unit is a variable resistor so just varies the voltage passed with fuel level.

The gauge unit is the voltage dependent part.

Fellow Frogger!

Ok, thanks for clarifying that ! It would seem the senders are easy enough to obtain o'seas.

Thread Information