Respray advice
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Richard W

Thread: Respray advice

Default Respray advice

Hi all

I am in the throws of restoring my recent purchase, a 205 GTI "Classic". It needs a full respray and not having been through the process of having a car fully resprayed I have two questions:

1. Have had various quotes from repairers and prices have ranged from $2000 to $7000 for a full external respray and with me doing the removal of replacement of exterior trims etc (interior will stay in the car). With such a wide range of prices - how do I tell who is ripping me off (ie. over quoting) or who is intending to do a dodgy job?

Advertisement

2. Most have recommended taking windscreens out (front and rear). A couple of repairers have mentioned that front window may crack when it is pushed out? Whilst they say it is a small risk, they nonetheless wanted to warn me. Has anyone had any experience with this. I want to keep the car as original as possible so keeping the original window seal and windscreen (both hard to find second hand or new) is key. Would it be better to ask them to do the respray with front window in. is this possible or would the outcome look bad?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    vic

Quote Originally Posted by VC205 View Post
    Hi all

I am in the throws of restoring my recent purchase, a 205 GTI "Classic". It needs a full respray and not having been through the process of having a car fully resprayed I have two questions:

1. Have had various quotes from repairers and prices have ranged from $2000 to $7000 for a full external respray and with me doing the removal of replacement of exterior trims etc (interior will stay in the car). With such a wide range of prices - how do I tell who is ripping me off (ie. over quoting) or who is intending to do a dodgy job?

2. Most have recommended taking windscreens out (front and rear). A couple of repairers have mentioned that front window may crack when it is pushed out? Whilst they say it is a small risk, they nonetheless wanted to warn me. Has anyone had any experience with this. I want to keep the car as original as possible so keeping the original window seal and windscreen (both hard to find second hand or new) is key. Would it be better to ask them to do the respray with front window in. is this possible or would the outcome look bad?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    vic
    Best use to google search which is up the top of the homepage before asking a question on a regularly discussed topic.

Here are the Forum Search Results for "car respray"

aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999 - aussiefrogs.com - Google Search Results

Hi Vic. There is no problem getting a new windscreen for a 205 if yours were to crack - about $300. Not sure about new seals. On my current project car the front screen was removed and then a new one fitted afterwards with the original rubber.
    I've had two rear hatches resprayed without removing the rear screen (my previous Classic and my current project car) - just pulling the seals up instead and the result on each was excellent.
    Last edited by Richard W; 2nd February 2016 at 11:27 AM.

I removed my rear screen for respray. The "Seal" just sitting on the top, and the glass is glued in. I damaged my rubber "seal" during removal, but got a new one from Peugeot. It's probably worth removing the rubber, but I don't see any reason to remove the glass...

$7K is getting up there, but without really knowing the car it's hard to say whether it's OTT.

A cheap respray will add negligible value to the car, it will be tarred as "Classic No.XX with the bad paint job".

Quote Originally Posted by rtsnoz View Post
    I removed my rear screen for respray. The "Seal" just sitting on the top, and the glass is glued in. I damaged my rubber "seal" during removal, but got a new one from Peugeot. It's probably worth removing the rubber, but I don't see any reason to remove the glass...
    Now that you describe it, I think that's actually what was done for my cars - I just know the glass didn't come out and the results were still good.

I'm no expert. However, I have three good experiences of respraying cars with the glass left in and the screen rubbers propped out and masked, to get paint under the seal not butting against it. Leave them propped for days.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    $7K is getting up there, but without really knowing the car it's hard to say whether it's OTT.

A cheap respray will add negligible value to the car, it will be tarred as "Classic No.XX with the bad paint job".
    yes. definitely keen not to go for the crap option, just want to make sure I don't pay top dollar and still get a crap outcome!!

Icon6

Hi all

Cheers
    vic
    G'day,
    One method is to have a look at some of the cars that have been resprayed and, if possible, talk to the owners [of the cars]. I had a little job done on the 18E, by a place that does a lot of custom and hot cars. They also have two Harleys in their front office, but that didn't affect my decision. Customers are very critical. They either love the result or don't. There is no in between. Maybe you could go to a custom car show, and have a bit of a look around.
    Good luck, don't settle for second best.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

If the car is a Classic and it "needs" a full respray, don't consider anything other than a bare metal respray.

That means removing the door handles, locks, wiper motor, etc. Take the panels off the car to spray the apertures properly and edge out, etc.

There is $1500 of materials used to respray the car if a cheap but reasonable quality paint like Protec or Mobihel are used. PPG or any other premium brand obviously cost more. Don't use Hi-Chem or anything that can be purchased from a regular autoparts supplier.

If the car requires very little panel beating then a bare metal respray, including painting the bay, costs $5000 absolute minimum. $7000 is nothing to pay for a restoration quality respray by someone who knows what they're doing.

$2K will get you taped up door handles and moulds, a quick scuff with Scotch Brite and paintwork with runs. You'll then have to pay bare metal price and then some to rectify it.

Windscreens
    Front: take it out if you can but plan to either destroy the windscreen and keep the seal intact or vice versa. Both may come out without breaking but 25 year old window seals are no longer supple.

Rear: remove the rear spoiler and fit a line of 3mm electrical wire under the seal to lift it off the body. It can then be taped up and sprayed so that when the wire is removed the seal sits over the fresh paint.

If you'd like to see what a 205 looks like $4.5K into a $6K respray, send me a PM.

yes. definitely keen not to go for the crap option, just want to make sure I don't pay top dollar and still get a crap outcome!!
    As Pug206gti said, the only way is to find a good painting place and get recommendations from customers. Go and see his work (or hers...) and judge their attitude, how they'll work with you, what sort of clients they have etc. In my case, we had a good man in our car club in Perth whose son has Kpaz Automotive Spray Painting (who deserve a plug) and who has done work for the most fastidious restorer I know and regularly fixes up expensive cars for dealers. So, I knew the business, I knew their clientele and I trusted the whole family. I never got competitive quotes, just paid what they asked - I did get an estimate beforehand of course. We exceeded it a bit for very good reasons, as you do find "stuff" after you'd started. We've used them for two Renaults now and I'm very happy with the outcomes.

So, start by talking to people you may know who've had work done and go from there.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I want to keep the car as original as possible so keeping the original window seal and windscreen (both hard to find second hand or new) is key.
    Cheers
    vic
    There is a certain irony in wanting to keep the windscreen and rubber in for originality, to then respray the car and totally ruin the car's originality.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    There is a certain irony in wanting to keep the windscreen and rubber in for originality, to then respray the car and totally ruin the car's originality.

Jo
    I think that 'totally ruin the car's originality' is a bit harsh. We're not talking here about needless erasing of patina by someone obsessed with over-restoring a car that should really be left alone - we're talking about the curse of early to mid 90's PSA paintwork where the top coat is rubbish quality just goes off completely in Australia's heat leaving a white crazed finish all over the horizontal surfaces of the car. As I understand it, that can't be fixed any other way than to sand it off and start again.
    jo proffi and BIGRR like this.

Thread Information