Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti

Default Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti

Hey Everyone,

First post here and i have to also say my first French car, That being a 2001 Peugeot 206 Gti. This car was bought at a Salvage Auction for a very cheap price and its sole purpose is to live the rest of its life on the track, be it Dirt or Circuit.

Car fired up first go with a good battery in it but wouldnt idle, turns out the throttle cable clip was in the wrong spot so as soon as the throttle was let go it would close the butterfly completely making the car stall, that was fixed easily and it now starts and idles fine.

Plans are to strip out anything thats not required, carpet, back seats and plastic trims etc will be pulled from it to try and shed some weight, the front seats, centre console door trims and dash will remain along with the roof lining, as i'm not sitting in sweltering heat between stages with a hot roof above me, the other thing that will be staying is the air conditioning, for the same reason. Atleast until it needs to shed some more weight!

Will keep this thread going as improvements are made to the car and the build progresses. Feel free to throw any tips and ideas in as i am completely new to these cars, i normally throw around a little Gemini on the dirt and the little Peugeot is going to be a learning curve, albeit a very quick learning curve!

Just remember, this is grass roots motorsport, club level competition, although we will be racing for the state title next year. This is to show people that you dont need a massive budget to hit the track and have fun!

First things first i need to make the shifter a short throw, it has quite alot of travel so its the first thing on the list.

Advertisement

Cheers Josh
    Brett likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm pretty sure you can get short shift rods for the GTi from the UK. Not for the GTi 180 unfortunately for me, at least not without cutting up the firewall.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome Josh,

Indeed, a cheap Peugeot is a great way to get into motorsport, and even though you think shift is long, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Easiest way to get into racing cheaply, is simply to race what you bring.

Race, Break, Repair, Repeat.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

VIP Sponsor

Stick to the dirt you can be competitive for far less money.
    BIGRR likes this.

Icon6

G'day,
    maybe add a GoPro camera to the list, so we can see you racing.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

A Go Pro will definitely be installed, already used one in the Gemini

The Little Peugeot took a hard hit yesterday in its first Khanacross event, totally my own fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xah1rFYhmtA

Resulting in the radiator pushed back into the inlet manifold, front bar completely torn off, and a whole mess of the front end plus some personal injuries from the hit. Looking at the speedo i think i was doing 80-90kph.

The car should be fixable, after a front end tear down i'll see if it can be pulled out and strengthened because its bloody quick!

VIP Sponsor

Looks more like a rallysprint, for a Khanacross there should be a 90 degree corner or more every 120 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh84 View Post
    The Little Peugeot took a hard hit yesterday in its first Khanacross event, totally my own fault.

Resulting in the radiator pushed back into the inlet manifold, front bar completely torn off, and a whole mess of the front end plus some personal injuries from the hit. Looking at the speedo i think i was doing 80-90kph.

The car should be fixable, after a front end tear down i'll see if it can be pulled out and strengthened because its bloody quick!

Don't be tempted by the dirt. Buy a set of semi-slicks and come to a Supersprint.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

The car will be far more competitive on dirt and after you've done a couple of laps on a racetrack there is no more to be gained.
    BIGRR, FIVEDOOR and Dano like this.

If you can drive on dirt, you can drive on any surface!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Looks more like a rallysprint, for a Khanacross there should be a 90 degree corner or more every 120 metres.

The only motorsport I like more than Motorkhanas. I competed near the pointy end of my class for a few years driving my wife's 1.3 Reno 10 about 20 years ago. At the 1st test of the last (Leppington) Khanacross I attended, I had to use 3rd gear down the straights, so back to the pitts, packed up and left (Too dangerous at those speeds). I have not been back since!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

VIP Sponsor

Since then the rules have been tightened but doesn't seem to have done any good.
    Easy way out for some clubs to avoid having to get an Autocross licence for their tracks.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josh84 View Post

Hope you are recovering OK Josh - give your own injuries priority over the car!

Horse riding instructors always insist on people getting back on a horse after a buster, so they don't lose their nerve. Since you are talking about fixing the car, it doesn't sound like you are in danger of losing yours!

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 16th February 2016 at 11:53 AM.

Dont be too hard on yourself , Hampton is a tricky little place , many a car has suffered damage around that course. Maybe a good roll cage should be next.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Thanks for the Replies and encouragement guys! Looking at the vid i was doing around 80kph at that point of the crash! I've been given the all clear by the Dr, some tissue damage in my back but i should be fine.

The car will hit the track again! Once i was given the all clear i pulled the front end down, will need some parts for it like bar, radiator etc but the front member is completely gone, i think i will remake it from steel instead so i can mount a bash plate on it.

I am completely over the moon with the cars performance and i have to say it felt quick!

Here is a full vid of the stages i did, some full opposite lock at the 6m mark! My hand coordination is getting better and i was having a ball!

Feel free to give me some pointers etc, it was my first drive of both the gti and hampton.

Your right Andrew, a roll cage is on the cards, right after the wedding.. haha

https://youtu.be/0RvqxhavIeA

Dano likes this.

Shorts and t-shirt in a Cams event?

Also id love to see some pics of your harness bar please.

VIP Sponsor

No need for harness bar or neck to ankle clothing but I think CAMS had something else in mind when it drew up the regulations see here: http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/AutoT...egs-2016-1.pdf

I normally do wear long pants and long sleeves. But was told at this event that it wasn't required in an enclosed car.

I'll upload a pic of the hatness bar

Hey guys, the peugeot and myself had our second outing 2 weeks ago at our home track, managing a 4th in class. Not bad considering we had 2 driver related spins. The rear brakes are way to grippy and will have a bias valve installed in the cabin.

It ran well and it had no issues plus it got alot of attention.

The downside is I had an issue with it.. again.. the gearknob came off in my hand and I punched the dash on a downshift, resulting in a sore wrist that I thought was bruising or a sprain. Saw the dr today after constant pain when bearing weight on it and have an x ray tomorrow, Dr seems to think I've fractured a bone in it. But I will wait to see the results.

Afew thing on it need tweaking, I've lowered the rear 40mm. It was sitting way to high in the back. I'll be replacing the gearknob with something more grip friendly and replacing the factory steering wheel with an aftermarket one.

The pedals were way to close so I bent the original accelerator pedal and got it 2 inches to the right. Need to move the clutch pedal around the same distance to the left.

I'm enjoying racing it, the driver just needs to learn it's not a rwd!
    michael_ozzie likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Great to hear you got it back out and fixed so quickly. Close pedals are normally a good thing for heel/toe and left foot breaking if that's your thing, but I can see the problem if you have largish feet. Got some videos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Fellow Frogger!

I've never had an issue with the pedals - even when wearing my steel caps. But to each their own etc.

I would suggest getting someone with PP2000 to disable the airbag in the steering wheel BEFORE you actually remove it. From what I can tell, if you do that, it won't show an airbag fault. If you remove then disable, it seems to always show a fault.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Ive got wide feet and am used to cars with wider pedal setups. For instance I missed the brake pedal completely and pushed the clutch to the floor instead with my right foot and then when taking my foot off got stuck between the pedals.

Heel and toe doesn't really bother me yet as I had an ankle operation that has given me less movement in the joint so it's physically impossible for me to do it, unless I customise the pedal setup completely.

Here is a vid of the last race.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ28J-uLhOs

1000+ Posts

Howdy Josh. Totally interesting thread!

There's a group buy for short shifters being sorted out right now elsewhere on this forum. The place stocks them for your car, but the only problem is they are pretty pricey; GBP130.

I've only had my 206 a short while, but currently find the throttle pedal a bit high for heel/toe. I have to angle my foot awkwardly.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hey Guys, been a while since a post so thought i would update you.

Turns out i damaged ligaments in my left wrist from the crash i had. Still painful at times but i'm dealing with it.

I'm trying to pinpoint this noise in the Peugeot. I think its the power steering pump. So its off to ebay for a unit, unless any other models run the same pump that could help me track down a replacement?

Cheers Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information