Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti

1000+ Posts

It does fit other models; search eBay and there are usually a few listed - the listing will give you some hints about other models, such as the 307 AFAIK. Best is probably eBay UK.

Advertisement
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hey Guys, Its been a while since the GTI has been out, and me for that matter! Turns out at this stage with the current results i'm leading class C for the state championship! Which i'm very happy about, however some results are missing from the table and i have missed 2 rounds so i have to take that into account.

I'm going to push to make the rest of the rounds this year and try and come home with the win!

the 206 is in need of some parts before the next round, I need 2 new lower control arms, the ball joints in mine are flogged out and these apparently cant be replaced.

It has a oil leak, pin points to rear main by the look of it.

I plan on taking it on some tracks days at eastern creek so will need to get one of the 16's fixed as its cracked!

I cant wait to get back out there and into it again!

Hey guys, fired the peugeot up the other day only to have it start to trickle oil out. Turns out the rear main has gone, what a job it is to get that gearbox out! The downside is the pressure plate for the clutch has also gone, the thrust bearing has almost worn right through it, guess I know what's been causing my clutch shudder. I've ordered the oil seal, but can't justify the cost of a clutch kit at the same time, I have 4 or 5 more races this year. I plan on winning the championship so I need it to be bullet proof. Anyone got a spare pressure plate? Lol

Hey Guys, had the gti out last weekend for its first round in ages. Had a spin which lost me 16 seconds but we had fun anyway. Heres a Vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCMMD-oNWlU

VIP Sponsor

I will be at Awaba at 0900 on Tuesday to route chart the Rallysprint course to use as part of our 50th anniversary Southern Cross rally event in November.

Some war paint.

michael_ozzie, Pugly 306 and Brett like this.

The time came to blow the cobwebs out of the little 206 GTI on the weekend, i did some maintenance on the car trailer before hand for the season, bearing overhaul, brake clean and check and 4 new LT tyres. Now i knew the new tyres were a bigger profile, but i thought i had enough clearance to cope with this..

Got the Peugeot ready, made a quick access bonnet opener on the front, no more reaching under the passenger dash to open it. Adjusted the harness, gave it a once over and ready for last weekend.... or so i thought...

The time came and i loaded up the Peugeot onto the trailer in our back yard and pulled it up the yard ready to leave quietly in the morning, This wasnt to be.... Turned out that my new light truck tyres, when loaded decided to hit the mudguards on the trailer at the front... With it getting dark i was in no position to fix this and breaking out the angle grinder wasnt an option.

Turns out the Previous Owner, or the person who built the trailer decided to move an axle, separate them abit, i assume to help spread the load and take some weight off the towball.. That's all good i'm fine with that, What i'm not fine with is moving the axle and deciding NOT to move the mudguards or fit mudguards that would accommodate the lengthened axle gap with the correct size tyres..

Not. Happy. Jan.

So defeated, i pulled the Pug off the trailer, put it away and called it a night.

So i ended up missing the first round of State Khanacross for the year... Disappointing yes, However all but 1 class competitor from last year chose not to show up, so i'm not to far behind!

The next round is in May at Eastern Creek which i am going to compete in. However what the future holds for the GTI is uncertain at this stage, You may well laugh, make jokes of, call me names.. But i searched long and hard to find a little car to race, a number of years to find a cleanish one locally anyway. To build and turn into a NSW IPRA car, Circuit racing has always been my love! That car... is a Holden Gemini.. Go Ahead, i've put my flame suit on.

Oh i should probably add, seeing as i havent mentioned it, i followed an online photo showing how to modify the shifter linkage to make a short shifter and it worked wonders! The throw is now around 10cm 1st to second.
    michael_ozzie likes this.

Ah man. Gutted that something like the arches on the trailer would stop you getting out there

And top works on the Gemi! You'll have a blast.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Car looks great, but remember paint / stickers are not performance accessories.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Ah man. Gutted that something like the arches on the trailer would stop you getting out there

And top works on the Gemi! You'll have a blast.
    Yup, I have fond memories of a 1977 vintage Gemi, best standard car I have had on dirt, so easy to keep sideways and forgiving on bitumen when one overcooks it. I have been told that slippeing it into 2nd at 110kmh gives one compressing slide that can be very useful for washing off speed whilst turning during those almost oops moments, or so I have been told
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Car looks great, but remember paint / stickers are not performance accessories.
    Thats true, but if she looks the part... haha

Thats Plastidip too! So just peels straight off... in theory..

Speaking of the Gemini, i did Khanacross it at the end of 2015 and had a blast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti-img_1549.jpg   Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti-img_1551.jpg   Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti-img_2044.jpg   Grass Roots Motorsport - Peugeot 206 Gti-img_1549small.jpg  

Geminis are great little cars. For IPRA a 2.6L Rodeo or a twin cam Calibra motor might be the choice. Geminis are light and can be made to handle well. There is still a Gemini Racing association in Qld. Many years ago I remember seeing them at Lakeside with their close to stock engines and Kelly Springfields running 1:10s, when in that same time most Porsche Club 911s were only running the same time. We had them run at a set weight of 910Kg, but I remember before this was done, one competitor had got his down to 845Kg, with what looked like a full interior still in the car. This was done partially through dipping the car and sandblasting it besides illegally taking out the window winders and fitting a piece of wood in its place to hold the window up, and cutting out a lot of the metal behind the door trims.
    Last edited by alan moore; 10th May 2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Wrote Piazza, meant Calibra.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

My plan is to be in the under 2.0 class, which means I need to keep the motor a 4 cylinder, under 2.0 obviously and be a holden supplied motor.

I got given a g200 rodeo motor, virgin bore, which I plan to build up and use to start with, however the motor that I'm looking into using eventually is a 20xe opel motor as supplied in some holden calibras. I could run the 2.6 rodeo motor but I'd be up against some pretty powerful cars with double the hp, one thing on my side is weight!

I meant the Calibra motor, not the Piazza. Some pretty hot and light Hondas in the under 2L. A friend has a G200 in his racing Gem making 176hp at the wheels, but he does need to turn it to 8k.At least 50hp down on the best Hondas.

Yeah there are alot of quick cars in that class!

I have mixed feelings running the G200 to start with, the money i put into rebuilding it i could easily throw into a conversion.

Considering as you said a worked G200 is still well behind everyone else!

1000+ Posts

I had a Gemini when I was 17, the round light version. What I remember was a really slick gearbox and solid clutch. It used to BANG into second and you could surprise many a car away from the lights just through really quick changes. Pretty tough engine too.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ive had afew Gemini's my first car was the FWD RB Gemini, every gemini nut hates them, FWD and all... But i thought it was a awesome little car. I've had numerous Gemini's since then, Mostly Wagons though which are awesome little parts haulers.

I feel bad selling the 206 GTI, its a quick little thing but in order for me to contest the state title, i have to drive down to Hampton near the Jenolan caves, which is a 3 hr drive, 3hrs to get 7-10 minutes of driving the peugeot for the day! All effort no reward.

While the dirt is fun, i'd much prefer a closed circuit or a tarmac rally etc.

I have a Khanacross coming up on the 14th May down at Eastern Creek, Which should be interesting.

Apparently they use a big grass paddock with just a bunch of flags everywhere and over 90% of drivers got penalised for wrong direction last year.

I really just want to go out for a fang!

VIP Sponsor

That is the way Khanacrosses were meant to be. The other types are run because clubs can,t be bothered getting an auto cross track licence. Only one in nsw, at nabiac except for the Vic CAMS track at Deniliquin.

Well i made the Decision and Sold the GTI, Its time to focus on the Gemini.. and although its not to everyones cup of tea, its to old, will never be fast enough etc.. to be honest i dont really care.

Should i go something more modern? Probably.. Something with REAL Horsepower... well yes..

The Little gem wont be running its Isuzu Motor, It will be running a C20XE Opel Motor... good to about 250hp with modifications to keep within the rules.. Let them say its to old and slow then!

Seeing as thats the end of my Peugeot ownership... although who knows what cars the future will bring.. it will probably be the end of me posting here and i dont want to put unrelated items on a peugeot site.. If anyone is interested in following the build add Josh Seward Motorsport on Facebook. I am yet to find a motorsport forum where i can start the build progress on there so facebook is the easiest way to contact me, although its killing forums everywhere!

Thanks for the Help along the way, it was ALOT of fun throwing the gti around.. and as i said, who knows what cars are in my future!

Thanks Guys!

Josh

A friend runs a Gemini in the MRA series. It blew up at the last event at Wakefield. It dropped an exhaust valve. The flag marshals found the valve and kindly returned it to him.
    Armidillo likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

the best engine detonation I've seen was an old Mini at Phillip Island, I picked up a gudgeon pin on the front strait. I would have loved to see the size of the hole in the block to spit the top half a piston out...
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information