Gaston the 1982 2CV
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Gaston the 1982 2CV

Default Gaston the 1982 2CV

First of all, allow me to relate the history. I was given this car by a lovely bloke in Sydney who came to the realisation he wasn't going to tackle it. The car was apparently brought in from the UK by a chap who came from there also, and ran a business in Pymble called "Delifrance". Given that the car was sign-written with Delifrance Pymble all over it then I guess he used it as a sign board.

Dave, the lovely bloke in Sydney, obtained the car with the intent of building it up as a Raid entry. As I said, after it sat under a decaying tarp in Sydney weather for a number of years, he decided it wasn't going to happen and I came into the picture.

A hilarious road trip involving my son's Discovery 3, a trailer and a couple of mates, saw the car, now labelled Gaston, installed in my garage in Melbourne.

Condition was rusty to say the least. While it didn't look too bad overall, closer inspection revealed some horrific amounts of rust, some of which had been artfully concealed by seam sealer and silastic before being painted! Since I brought the beast home in 2013 I've been gradually taking stock of what would be needed, augmenting my workshop equipment and retiring, not necessarily in that order.

Once I'd separated body from chassis it soon became apparent that the chassis was going to need to be replaced. I was fortunate to be able to purchase probably the only apparently rust free second hand chassis available in Australia so it was all systems go.

Advertisement

I've brought in one lot of panels from ECAS already, and a second order is allegedly on the way, but Roy is a bit tardy when it comes to international orders I've found. That being said, the first order was superbly packed and arrived completely undamaged after a scenic tour of the world's parcel sorting points. (Three separate places in the UK, Germany, France, Philadelphia, Louisville, Honolulu, Louisville again, Sydney and finally Melbourne!)

So the sum total of the parts to be replaced forms a large list. We're talking both floors, front toeboard, boot floor, lower A pillars, lower C pillars, windscreen panel and sundry little bits all over. I'll probably replace the sills as well rather than patch them up. Bonnet, boot lid, roof and bumpers complete the list.

The chassis has recently been blasted and has returned showing only one small patch of rust at the leading edge of the inside floor. This can be replaced with a repair section, then painting and rustproofing will proceed before the running gear gets gradually cleaned and transferred across.

At the end of the day I expect to have a rust free, completely solid 1982 2CV6 which should be fun for many years to come. In the meantime I'll have the fun of getting it there bit by bit.

Oh, the motor started and ran fine before I pulled it out, but I'll get on to checking that over further down the track.

The latest bit of good news is from the NSW depart of roads and boats, or whatever they're called, confirming that the car was (a) import approved (b) compliant with the 1982 ADRs and (c) previously registered in NSW. (Except they won't tell me the number it was registered under due to "privacy restraints" ! It came with the UK plates on it strangely enough.)

I figure it had been complied as the doors have neatly welded-in intrusion bars and the reversing light was wired up, not to mention the kiddie seat bar across the back.

So if you've stayed with me this far, you'll be keen to see some pictures, and I'll start posting them just as soon as I finish sorting and resizing the relevant ones. Be patient and all will be revealed!

Cheers for now, Pottsy
    GreenBlood, frog and JohnW like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2006 307 Auto 5 Door ("Spike" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 ex UK 2CV6 ("Gaston") Under restoration
    Half of a 1984 2CV6Special ("The Alleged Vehicle")
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I used to eat quite regularly at Delifrance when I lived in Singapore. They do a lovely chicken and Mayo roll!
    KB

What happened to the Slough-built one? Out of interest...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Alphonse the Slough '57 is still with me waiting patiently for me to deal with this impertinent youngster.

He's sitting under a car cover in a purpose built lean-to out of the weather.

He was going to be the retirement project but when Gaston came along I figured I could make my mistakes on him and then get Alphonse completely right.

That's the theory anyway!

Cheers, Pottsy
    J-man likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Alphonse the Slough '57 is still with me waiting patiently for me to deal with this impertinent youngster. He's sitting under a car cover in a purpose built lean-to out of the weather. He was going to be the retirement project but when Gaston came along I figured I could make my mistakes on him and then get Alphonse completely right. That's the theory anyway! Cheers, Pottsy
    Makes complete sense to me. Being English, Alphonse is presumably a bit reserved and well-behaved, so you shouldn't have too many problems there....
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Citroen 2CV by Mike Hannon | Photobucket
    First and easiest project I did, luckily was mechanically good.

Default Update Time

Well after a number of things encroaching on my available time, not the least being moving my 95 year old Mum to a new (smaller) unit and shifting/disposing of her excess furniture and Stuff, I'm finally seeing some fruit of my labours on Gaston.

Over the past few months I've repaired the rust in the replacement chassis and painted it a lovely shiny gloss black. The paint I've used is "RustGuard" which is a readily available epoxy based product. Flows on well and seems to fill the gaps and seams nicely.

Having removed all the usable suspension bits from the donor chassis I've been busy cleaning and painting them preparatory to reassembly on the new chassis. It was a very pleasant surprise to find that not only are the brakes in good nick, although I have new parts for them anyway, but also the wheel bearings, kingpins and suspension arm bearings are all good. It looks like they were all done before the car was exiled to the Antipodes. I'm not complaining. It's less work for me to do.

ECAS have supplied new shockers, bump stops and sundry other bits. All the nuts and bolts I can replace are being so, including the axle to chassis bolts. In accordance with the prevailing wisdom I've slotted the ends of these for easier removal in case of breakage.

Today saw me using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design, thank Project Binky for that one!) to create a skid platefor the fuel tank. I've used 1.5mm chequer (checker?) plate aluminium for this. I don't expect it to withstand huge rocks but it should protect it a bit. I'll create a similar unit for the front once I can measure around the engine. My new favourite tool has become the air powered metal shear. Made this job so much easier!

Final task for the day was to bolt the newly painted rear axle up to the chassis, using lots of Copper-Eze to offset any future rusting or seizing.

A productive session. Hopefully I'll soon have a rolling chassis and can tackle the hard part of welding on the new panels to the body.

With any luck these piccies will be self explanatory as well.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-fuel-tank-sitting-situ.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-cad-template.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-completed-guard.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-inside-view.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-slotted-bolts.jpg  
    David M and Dave Rogers like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default Update time again

Work continues apace on the Amazing Gaston.

Having finally completed moving Mum and sorting a couple of other things (like building a new engine and exhaust for the Mini, but that's another story!) I've now got a rolling chassis and am halfway through welding up a new body.

The chassis is now complete and shiny. The rear brakes are now fitted with new wheel cylinder kits and new shoes. I've adjusted them to the correct radius so they should be both Hunky and Dory. The rear bearings turned out to be SKF units which are unworn, so a clean and check in petrol followed by a re-grease and re-install and Bob's yer Father's Brother.

Naturally, if I hadn't bought a set of spares they would have been munted, bloody Murphy, but at least I have spares.

The spring pots checked out OK and I've fitted out all the exposed threads, as well as the knife edge assemblies, with hand crafted rubber boots (from old bicycle inner tube!) which hopefully will keep the worst of the dirt and dust, not to mention corrosion, at bay.

New Burton shock absorbers all round and also a newly crafted under engine tray completed the chassis so far.

I still need to check the front bearings, but so far they feel good, as do the kingpins. Once again, I have a new kit in the wings so probably won't need it! (In the spares box for future reference though!)

Last thing was to fit the new set of Adventure Bumpers to give it the rugged individualist look!

Having sat back and admired the rolling chassis I began to address the rusty shell that is the bodywork.

I've got the following new panels: Both floors, both sills, front kick board (lower firewall), windscreen frame and internal frame filler/support, boot floor, tail light panel and sundry "a" and "c" panel pillar sections and panel repair sections.

Over the last week or so I've managed to fabricate and install a new box section for under the back seat on the left side of the car. Having completed that it was time to remove the manky sill and install the new one. Before I could do that I had to weld in a new section of "C" pillar as well as a right angle piece to join the rusted section of the inner guard to the "C" pillar. Removing the sill exposed more rot around A and B pillars which I've addressed before finally welding in the replacement LH sill today.

To make sure I had the sill and pillar in the right relationship I used the mudguard as a gauge to set it up.
    Once I'd gone through all the hoops to ensure the whole lot was in alignment I figured I'd better at least check that the doors still fit, and got a real buzz of achievement when I found that both doors actually fit, and close, properly! Woohoo!

Next up I felt confident enough to weld in the sill finally. Having done that I've now got the kick panel clamped in situ ready to use it to help align the RH sill.

Tomorrow's another day!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-rolling-chassis-engine-sitting-there.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-box-section-trial-fit.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-box-section-all-welded-up.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-under-tray.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-using-rear-mudguard-gauge.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-doors-sitting-position.jpg  

Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Looking good, my friend. Love the yellow tappet covers and spring pots. Your bodywork skills are impressive in that you've got it all square without a jig, you'll have to come and do mine when the times comes. But I can't offer you a nifty 4 post outside hoist, that makes life much easier. Looks like all is on track for a timely finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

Nice work, Keith. Do the sump and the fuel tank guards mean that Gaston is to be a raid car?
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - current project.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Can't wait to start work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Nice work, Keith. Do the sump and the fuel tank guards mean that Gaston is to be a raid car?
    Hi John,

Not specifically for Raiding, although the target is to have this car on the road asap and take it to NZ.

Trying rather for my own interpretation of a robust workhorse. I want to be able to jump in the beast and head bush if the mood takes me, and I figure that having the generous ground clearance of a 2CV will encourage me to go that step further when it comes to exploring.

When that happens, the little extra insurance of guard plates may make a difference. They're aluminium so no great weight penalty either.

Cheers, Pottsy (Ray)
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi John,

Not specifically for Raiding, although the target is to have this car on the road asap and take it to NZ.

Trying rather for my own interpretation of a robust workhorse. I want to be able to jump in the beast and head bush if the mood takes me, and I figure that having the generous ground clearance of a 2CV will encourage me to go that step further when it comes to exploring.

When that happens, the little extra insurance of guard plates may make a difference. They're aluminium so no great weight penalty either.

Cheers, Pottsy (Ray)
    It''s scary to get a 2cv down to this few parts.... especially when you try to weld it. There is just nothing there It's barely a step up from a motorbike safety wise ...... Offroading Just borrow "rage rover" if you need to go offroad and keep the nicely restored 2cv for fun

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default The Adventure Continues

Once again I've managed to spend some quality time with Gaston. (In a one on one, bloke to bloke, no funny business, sort of way of course!).

With only the long weekend intervening (Hay Mini Nationals, 50th year, couldn't miss that!) I've begun to make real progress. The new sills are welded in along with the associated repairs to the pillars as required.

Positioning the pillars in such a way as to ensure the doors still fit was a challenge solved by firstly creating a couple of template bars to measure strategic points in the door frames. This proved its worth when I was able to trial fit the RH doors in place and they actually line up! The LH ones were done last time.

However, the well known Murphy of legal fame had to stick his nose in. Having carefully positioned everything (or so I thought) and tacked the sill in position I thought I'd have a look at how the A pillar repair section fitted, only find the relationship between the pillar and the sill was out by about 10mm in a direction that I hadn't measured! Bugger! To make it worse, the tack welds I'd done were among the best yet, and once ground off to reposition it resulted in marginally thinner metal and, you guessed it, blown holes while welding. Tedious to fix, infuriating, but not a deal breaker. Just don't bring Murphy round here for a while!

This week has seen the new footboard get welded into place and the floors bolted up to it. I don't want to weld these until I can align everything on the chassis so they're held with bolts and vice grips at present.

Yesterday and today I've spent hand crafting a new section of inner wing for the RH rear. In hindsight, I probably should have bought new panels, but I figured a bit of panel steel and some hammering would work.

Courtesy of French Connection (Thanks Dave) I have a surplus C3 bonnet to play with that has yielded a couple of repair patches so far. At least it's all still French, or at least Citroen related. (Not sure where C3's are made) The end of the day saw the repair section welded in and the new lower C pillar panel clamped in situ and checked for alignment by sitting the window in its hole. All good.

Tomorrow it's on to the LH side inner wing which is nowhere near as rotten as the RH was. Then it's trial fit for the other C pillar repair section before moving on to the tail light panel.

I figure on fitting the tail light panel before the C pillar panels as that will give me slightly better access. Same goes for the boot floor. It'll be after the tail light panel.

Once they're all stuck on I'll be able to turn it all over and crack on with the new windscreen panel and associated sub panel.

Mrs P described it all as a big Meccano Set and I have to agree. I'm reliving the fun I used to have with Meccano when a lot younger than I am now. That can't be all bad I reckon!

As an aside, I can now recall why I never chose Sheet Metal Worker or Panel Beater as a potential career. I would have starved I reckon!

Cheers all, until the next update. Here are a few happy snaps to go with the above opus. Oh and please don't be too critical of the joins on A and C pillars. There will be lots of body filler before painting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-rh-inner-guard-repair.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-floors-clamped-situ.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-rh-pillar-repair.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-lh-pillar-repair.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-foot-board-welded-.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-rh-quarter-window-fits.jpg  

Gaston the 1982 2CV-rh-c-pillar-repair.jpg  
    J-man and FIVEDOOR like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

... joins on A and C pillars. There will be lots of body filler before painting!
    You could venture into the world of lead loading/ filling. And at same time minimize the chance of future corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD98LDc0GAI
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Nice work, Ray.
    I see you are working your way steadilly up the degree-of-difficulty ladder to the tail panel(s) summit. You'll be OK though, judging by your pics. The repair panels are a godsend aren't they? I'm a little further down the road with my 2CV project, rubbing back painted doors and guards. It's looking good now and the brown lacework that was the tail panel is a fading nightmare.

You'd have been encouraged and inspired by CCCV's recent visits to Historic and Vintage Restorations in Blackburn and to Peter Tommasini's workshop in Bayswater. You can pick up gems of tips on technique and you always feel better when they tell you about their mistakes.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - current project.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Can't wait to start work on it.

Default I've been busy, honest!

Progress is happening apace, but one step forward, one step sideways. (Shall we dance?)

Having obtained the C3 bonnet as raw material I proceeded to attempt to fabricate the inner guard section that was rusted beyond recognition. After a lot of hammering and swearing, I finally managed to have it in place and welded. It wasn't pretty, but appeared to fit OK.

Time than to tackle the other side. This was a lot easier as it was way less rusted and still gave me a couple of reference points to work from. Cue a reprise of hammering, cutting, swearing, etc.

That's when it all came unstuck.

Having cobbled together a suitable repair section, and before welding it in, I thought I'd see how it all matched up to the tail light panel. Disaster! The section I'd already fabricated and welded in was about 30mm shorter than it should be (see lack of reference points comment above). The upshot of this was that either the tail light panel was going to be welded in crooked, definitely NOT a preferred option, or the carefully hand crafted section had to be cut off and started anew. Aargh!

I've taken the easy way out. I'm awaiting a new package from Germany containing a pair of replacement inner guards along with bump stops etc. Should have got them earlier but foolishly I thought my skills were greater than they are. ( 'Twas ever thus! )

So I've carefully augmented and re-measured all the bracing around the back so that the only floppy bits are the inner guards which will be replaced. After that I moved on to the windcreen panel waiting patiently in the wings.

The top of the bulkhead was rusted quite badly so I had to make a replacement angle section for the full width after careful measuring and removal of all the manky metal. This proved a lot easier than I thought so, encouraged, I proceeded to install the "across the top of the dashboard and under the windscreen frame" panel. Encouragement continued so today saw me install the windscreen panel completely.

This is welded in at the top of the bulkhead, behind the abovementioned panel with the long name, and up the 'a' pillars. Matching it up to the top and bottom corners was made easier by having The Alleged Vehicle on hand for measurement and comparison.

I'm not a purist as such but since the factory saw fit to braze the four corners of the frame to the body I figured I'd follow suit. Having learned soldering at my Father's knee, brazing has always been relatively straightforward for me since the two methods are very similar, just using different temperatures really.

That being said, it's been some years since I've dusted off the brazing outfit, but it really is like riding a bike.

So at the end of the day, the whole front of the car is pretty much finished, only needing seam sealer, caulking, body filler and paint. Sounds easy doesn't it?

All of the fresh welding and brazing has been linished off with the wonderful flappy discs we have these days, and the whole lot coated with zinc rich primer.

I reckon that's not a bad day's work so it's relaxation time for the rest of the day. While I'm wainting for the new package to arrive, I can get on with installing some of the other new bits that arrived recently, such as the clutch kit, oil cooler etc, brake line kit etc.

More news as it comes to hand!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-windscreen-frame-.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-windscreen-area-ready-new-frame.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-rear-end-braced-up.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-rh-inner-guard-repair.jpg  
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Progress is happening apace, but one step forward, one step sideways. (Shall we dance?)

Cheers, Pottsy.
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...-braced-up.jpg

Nice JIG!

I saw what you did there. Clever!
    David M likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default Testing the Twirly Bits

Been having a break from bodywork while awaiting the arrival of the new inner guards for the rear.

As co-owner of The Alleged Vehicle I've swapped TAV (The Alleged Vehicle) for my Mini for a while. Having a full scale model to work from has been an absolute bonus. It's really easy to go and look at the real, going, complete car when trying to nut out how a part is supposed to fit.

So Gaston's motor and gearbox have moved up the priority line and are in the process of being transplanted into TAV as a mobile test bed. When I first brought Gaston home I started and ran his motor, and it seemed sweet enough, but testing the gearbox was out of the question.

So over the past week or so I've got stuck in to the motor etc on the bench. Now has a new oil cooler, new points, new fuel pump, new clutch kit, new clutch cable, new seals and all new fasteners wherever I could. My mate sussed out that the Ryco Z96 oil filter is a direct replacement oil filter (80mm seal diameter, M16 thread) with the bonus that's it's larger than the Purflux LS131 so provides a tad more oil cooling. Who would have thought a 2CV could share a part with a VH Valiant? I've also fitted a new alternator belt, a Gates 750mm.

Brake calipers are completely reconditioned with new seals, and new pads (main and handbrake) fitted. The discs that were on the car are virtually unworn, one is the nominal new thickness the other under by about half a mm. I suspect this car didn't do a lot of miles once it was landed in Sydney.

As an aside, part of the overall rebuild will include fitting new brake lines. The complete set is available from Der Franzose and comes with all mounting brackets and seals, all for 91odd Euros! Cheap insurance I reckon, expecially when it couples up to the new master cylinder I'm installing.

I've created an adapter for an oil pressure gauge while retaining the oil pressure switch. For the moment I've simply strapped the oil pressure gauge onto the starter motor but this may change once the motor is nestled in its final home. A bit of judicious re-wiring has seen the ignition wire and the oil pressure switch wire amalgamated in a two core cable from the front of the fan shroud.

Since I haven't yet bolted on the carby I won't know until tomorrow how well it all goes, but after filling up the sump, some test cranking has shown oil pressure to be at least present, so that's a start.

Today ended with the whole kaboodle bolted in and the carburettor on the bench ready for a strip and clean. Thanks to David M for his extra pair of hands today, too. Always good to have an extra set of eyes and hands when slotting in an engine, even though the whole thing is manageable in size. Definitely smaller than a Mini assembly!

Tomorrow may well see The Alleged Vehicle doing some test runs. I can hardly wait to see how this engine goes.

Oh, and you may wonder about the paint job. Since TAV's engine has blue rocker covers I thought I'd make sure we couldn't confuse them at all. We also have a spare motor that will most likely get red rocker covers, just so we can refer to the engines by colour and know which ones we're talking about, unless we get careless and swap the covers! Come to think of it maybe I should paint these ones white just to fit the Gallic theme.

And the piece de resistance in this kaleidoscope of colour is the orange neoprene splash guard I've made for the points box. You can just see it through the fan. Very tasteful!

Cheers, Pottsy
    JohnW likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default "It's Alive Igor. It's ALIVE!!!!"

The motor is in and runs sweetly.
    Compression is around 100psi each side (stone cold).
    Oil pressure is in excess of 50psi at idle.
    No major leaks so far.

All looks good for a test drive this afternoon.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default It's all go here at the bureau!

Since my last missive I've had the chance to go for a decent cruise in The Alleged Vehicle, now being used as a test bed for Gaston's mechanical bits. I can report that all seems to be both Hunky and Dory with the motor.

Aside from a couple of coughs and splutters, which I've still to pin down but could be a bit of water in the fuel, or possibly a fuel filter past it's use by date, the beast seems to be a happy cruiser at 100kmh, purring along quite nicely.

Now that the latest delivery of bits has arrived, notably including the new rear inner guards, I've got stuck in to installing them. A couple of the mounting flanges on the remaining floor section were a bit rotten so I've created some new support sections and welded them in before mounting up the guards.

I have to say that I'm really glad I bit the proverbial bullet and bought these extra panels, as there was a bit of panel cancer behind the bump stop mounts that was completely hidden, mostly by the mastic filler and seam sealer that had been put in, back in the UK presumably. The sins that were covered by this stuff were legion!

Anyway, the next few days should see the rear inner guards welded in, followed by a new boot floor and new tail light panel. Apart from the welding of the floors, this will complete the restoration of the body shell so it'll be on with seam sealing, gap filling, underbody painting and generally prettying up the worm's eye view of the whole thing.

In between times I've tackled a few minor jobs such as repairing the rusted bit of pipe in the headlamp bar, and arranging replacement headlamps (the old ones need to be re-silvered eventually, but a quick and dirty, but effective and roadworthy, solution is potentially on hand). More on this anon.

Here are a couple more snaps to entertain you all.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-inner-guard-ready-welding.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-inner-guard-removed.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-headlamp-bar-repaired.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-headlamp-bar-rotten-bit.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-gaston-engine-tav.jpg  
    GreenBlood and Le Parisian like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default And the excitement continues to build!

For he first time today I can step back and behold all of the repair panels in situ on the body. OK, they're not all welded yet, but all bolted, screwed or clamped so I can ensure they all match up.

A definite milestone.

The boot floor sits in place on a curved flange which is part of the rear wall of the spare wheel well. This flange was, like most of the car below the belt line, rotten.

I'd heard of metal shrinking before but have never had the need to have a crack, until today.

A couple of lengths of angle were created by bring the air shear (my new favourite tool next to a hammer!) into close juxtaposition to an old Brownbuilt shelf and then, after being tidied up a bit, they were persuaded to become curved flanges.

The method explained to me is to bend gradually until the inner part of the angle kinks, then belt the hell out of the kink with the hammer until it's flat, then do the next bit, and so on. The flat metal efectively shrinks, forming a gentle curve.

It took a while to match it to the profile of the new panel, but once it was done then a coat of cold galvanising paint was applied, holes for puddle welding punched and then the new flange clamped in position and welded.

The old, manky and rusted flange was cut off and the curved wheel well panel prepared for welding.

Before doing that, however, I've trial fitted the tail light panel and the new C panel repair sections so that I can be sure that they all match up.

I've run out of clamps, so a couple of tek screws and some 8mm bolts are also helping to locate everything.

I reckon it looks good, ready for welding next session!

Here are a couple of happy snaps to keep your appetites whetted.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-rear-panels-bolted-clamped-1.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-rear-panels-bolted-clamped-2.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-boot-floor-new-flange.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-boot-floor-new-flange-trial-fit.jpg  
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default A productive day

Well it's all happening down here at the Institut de Citroen.

Today saw the tail light panel welded in, followed by the boot floor and the right hand C pillar repair section.

My biggest concern was that in all the wrestling to get the repair panel to align that the aperture for the rear quarter light may not be right. My concerns were allayed, however as I found that with enough careful clamping, aligning and checking before welding, the hole still matches the window rubber. Woohoo!

The more work I do on this car the firmer my belief that I was not cut out to be a welder, panel beater or even a sheet metal worker. I have the wounds to prove it, along with many telltale lumpy welds.

Certainly the welding is not up to concours standard, but I'm confident that the strength is there. A bit of sealer and bog will transform the whole thing I have no doubt, but it'll always be a home built repair job.

Anyway, next welding task is the left hand C pillar repair followed by the aligning and welding of the floor panels.

Once that's done, all the major rebuilding of the bodywork will be complete.

Then I'll need to address such things as painting, wiring, insulation etc. A doddle I'm sure!

Cheers all, until the next time I take a break.

Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-fits..jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-boot-floor-tailight-panel-rh-c-pillar-repair-all-welded-.jpg  
    forumnoreason and JohnW like this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

1000+ Posts

ripper stuff Pottsy, bog?! What about learning some leading! Argh... did you grind off some/ all the paint to get a clean weld onto the old section?

might be an idea to lightly weld up or clamp some struts with the correct measurements to ensure you have the geometry correct to line it all up as I imagine those bodies would twist all over the shop?
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 19th July 2017 at 09:52 PM.

Forum, or can I call you For for short? Thanks for the encouragement.

First of all, yes, old paint went west inside and outside wherever there was welding to be done. Welding to shiny metal is the only sort that works.

Secondly, the body is braced every direction and was so before I started removing rotten bits. I took all my measurements off The Alleged Vehicle and so far it's all looking good. The braces are 10mm square tubing and may not be too clearly visible.

You're right about flexing. There's not a huge amount of metal in the thing overall, but as I've gradually welded in the new bits the frame has become noticeably heavier and more rigid, so I must be doing something right.

Way back when I was a trainee in the 1970's I did a course on lead wiping. Sure, it was addressing the sealing of underground communications cables but the principles are, i'm sure, at least similar.

If I was planning on presenting this car as a complete, new concourse standard vehicle then maybe I'd see what could be done but there are two reasons not to go the lead wiping & filling route.

The first is ability, as detailed above.
    The second is adding more weight to a 2CV is like cutting off horsepower.
    Oh, and as an after thought, I don't fancy lead poisoning.

Body filler will be the weapon of choice. I at least have some capability with that, just not expert. Sort of describes my skills all round I guess

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information