Gaston the 1982 2CV - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Gaston the 1982 2CV

1000+ Posts

I'm in the same boat with my D resto! Lookin good, are you going original on the paint job?

Advertisement

Default Murphy strikes again!

It's like this. When I clamped and bolted the floors in place initially they all appeared to align with the chassis during a trial fit. So, I began the task of welding the floor panels in place.

At the rear end the floor sits on top of a flange at the front edge of the "under the rear seat" box section. This section had rusty bits which I re-created and replaced over a number of days some time ago.

To make the floor fit on this flange, as well as align with the front mounting flange (the new footboard) and the seat belt mounting (already in the new sill, non negotiable) I had to create a relatively graceful curve in the floor panel. That was my big mistake.

Naturally, when one has carefully crafted a curved floor and wants to mount it flush on a flat chassis, something isn't going to match! I can only put it down to brain fade.

Yeah, I stuffed up. I guess I can't really blame Murphy for his one, although the temptation is always strong to do so.

So today saw me unpicking the welds between floor panel and sill as well as the support welds either side of the aforementioned box section. "Why?" You ask. (In your relentless search for truth). Because I'd neglected the simple precaution of supporting and bracing the box section before welding everything on.

Yes, the box section had dropped about 30mm before I attached the inner guards to it, so by the time I attached the floor panels it was already rigidly positioned 30mm too high. End result, see the picture! Serves me right for not triple checking everything.

Never mind. All's well that ends well. The floor has been re-positioned and re-welded at the stern end and is now flatter than Auntie Maud's chest. In the process, the box section was also cranked into it's correct position and the sills pulled in to alignment with it before welding the whole kaboodle together (again)

So apart from a heap of little bits of welding needing to be done so that the floor panels are attached firmly both sides, that's all of the repair panels now joined into a cohesive entity henceforth to be called a 2CV body!

I plan to add a bit of brazing in a few spots, in line with Mr Citroen's original process, since this will be a gentler and potentially smoother surface for the outer panel sections.

Last thing today was to begin the process of sealing the welded seams (with a product imaginatively called Seam Sealer) before priming and painting the whole underbody.

Once that's sorted I can lower it on to the chassis for a final fit, before preparing the body for painting overall. Won't that be fun?

If you knew how much I hate painting you'd understand the term "labour of love" when applied to this car!

Cheers for now, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-floor-misaligned.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-floor-panels-now-flat.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-seam-sealing-time.jpg  
    forumnoreason likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2006 307 Auto 5 Door ("Spike" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 ex UK 2CV6 ("Gaston") Under restoration
    Half of a 1984 2CV6Special ("The Alleged Vehicle")
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Oh, and the prevailing wisdom currently is that Gaston will be painted white. Boring I know but easy to achieve.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

"Oh, and as an after thought, I don't fancy lead poisoning."

You are safe enough with the metal. It has got to be oxidised or otherwise compounded to be soluble enough to get into your system, especially as you are unlikely to be eating much of it ( unlike the kids in Mt Isa, where it is a real problem )

Good luck - great progress with the project. HAve always wanted a 2CV, which will unfortunately have to wait.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Forum, or can I call you For for short? Thanks for the encouragement.

First of all, yes, old paint went west inside and outside wherever there was welding to be done. Welding to shiny metal is the only sort that works.

Secondly, the body is braced every direction and was so before I started removing rotten bits. I took all my measurements off The Alleged Vehicle and so far it's all looking good. The braces are 10mm square tubing and may not be too clearly visible.

You're right about flexing. There's not a huge amount of metal in the thing overall, but as I've gradually welded in the new bits the frame has become noticeably heavier and more rigid, so I must be doing something right.

Way back when I was a trainee in the 1970's I did a course on lead wiping. Sure, it was addressing the sealing of underground communications cables but the principles are, i'm sure, at least similar.

If I was planning on presenting this car as a complete, new concourse standard vehicle then maybe I'd see what could be done but there are two reasons not to go the lead wiping & filling route.

The first is ability, as detailed above.
    The second is adding more weight to a 2CV is like cutting off horsepower.
    Oh, and as an after thought, I don't fancy lead poisoning.

Body filler will be the weapon of choice. I at least have some capability with that, just not expert. Sort of describes my skills all round I guess

Cheers, Pottsy.

Default ANother Milestone Achieved!

In keeping with my plan to have this car complete as soon as possible, I set myself the goal of having the bodywork completely welded and mounted on the chassis by the end of July.

Happy to say I achieved this today!

Gaston is starting to look like a car again, (albeit a bit naked!) only this time with more metal and no rust!

Feeling pretty pleased with meself today!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-wheels-again.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Well done Pottsy. You are making good progress. We are looking forward to joining you in NZ. Hawk
    Dave Rogers likes this.

Tadpole

Great effort Pottsy! I wouldn't have believed it when I saw it 3 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Leti View Post
    Great effort Pottsy! I wouldn't have believed it when I saw it 3 weeks ago.
    Oh! Ye of little faith McF!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Default And it's only Saturday!

So far this week I've managed to achieve the following:

Created a plywood template for the windscreen.
    Dismantled, cleaned, painted and prepared the driver's seat frame for reassembly.
    Cleaned off the old vinyl signwriting from the doors and prepared them for attachment.
    Checked out the replacement roof and prepared the boot lid and hinge for attachment.
    Painted (well Mrs P has really) the interior of the car in gloss white Metalshield epoxy enamel.
    Assembled and fitted the new exhaust system to the car, less the engine pipe for the present.
    Begun the process of fitting thermal and acoustic sheets to the firewall exterior and interior as well as the floor and ultimately the doors.

Overall this doesn't look much, but it's involved many hours of careful resurrection of some parts that were very manky, and sourcing of alternative materials for some others. An instance of this latter is some time spent at Clark Rubber for the seat padding amd exhaust hanger material, not to mention a length of rubber that looks like it will be a perfect infill for the attachment of the rear mudguards to the body.

Also been sorting and preparing all the myriad nuts and bolts needed, assembling things like steering column. pedal box and gearchange controls. Cleaning and painting front door hinges, fuel filler etc.

Been busy, and it's still only Saturday!

Here's a shot of the car as it sits so far while the paint dries internally.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-interior-painted.jpg  
    Dave Rogers likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Great progress and I'm enjoying following this thread!
    Dave Rogers likes this.

Default Continuing Apace!

Time for an update I guess. Since my last epistle several things have been achieved.

I've got the wiring in with a few judicious changes and additions. After 42 years as a technician, I reckon I'm pretty au fait with electrical stuff, but a couple of things in this, the simplest of cars, has me agitating the follicles. It appears that there is no original high beam warning lamp fitted, or, at least, I haven't been able to find one. Tracing a loom full of wires in only three colours is an exciting task, and when some of the ends have lost their little coloured ferrules it becomes a painstaking "put volts on here and see where they arrive" exercise. Anyway, it now has a high beam warning light, and it's even blue!

And as a bonus at least I now know roughly what wire does which thing. Oh, and I've also installed a new fusebox, just to upset the purists! ( )

One of the mysteries yet to be solved is what the hell the buttony switchy thingy on the top left of the dash actually is. (Sorry to use technical language there.) There were two wires attached, the function of which I've yet to ascertain and in fact have given up on. The actual device doesn't do anything. Turn or push, nothing moves, and the two connectors aren't attached to anything internally, they just turn and slide out of the housing. I reckon some Gauloise smoking joker stuck it in to see if anyone would work it out! To cap it all off, The Alleged Vehicle has the exact same dingus in the same spot with the same effect, ie, none.

A prize of a kind smile to the first person to enlighten us all on this one.

As part of the exercise of chasing wiring, I dismantled, cleaned and analysed the headlamp switch and it's an absolute gem internally. A beautiful piece of simple but effective design. Bit like the whole car really.

A new windscreen is on order from a local supplier of vehicle glass and a pair of new front seatbelts are also on the list.

Today saw the interior of the beast, well the front half at least, substantially completed. I've used "EzyKool" on the engine side of the firewall and "FormShield" from Clark Rubber inside the firewall and on the floor. Whilst I don't anticipate a huge reduction in noise, it should have some effect.

Not a favourite job by any means. I hate working under dashboards (and laying flooring) at the best of times and once I moved on to the floor it all started to move around annoyingly. That was when I had a Eureka moment. To locate the right spots for the seat mounting I used some 7mm bolts with their heads cut off and this also served to hold both the soundproofing sheet and the vinyl in place while trimmning to fit.

Over the top of the flooring I've fitted black vinyl in a Chequer Plate pattern, also from Clark Rubber. (They love me there by now!) Time will tell how effewctive this is, but it looks way better than the rusty white scunge that was the floor covering when the car first arrived here at the Institute.

The driver's seat has been stripped and rebuilt thanks to Mrs P's sewing skills and Clark Rubber again for the foam padding. Passenger seat appears useable at present but may get some attention down the track. Back seat is next.

Don't want to moz meself but there is definitely a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

Picture captions should be self explanatory.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaston the 1982 2CV-getting-there.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-mystery-button.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-new-fusebox.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-wiring-mostly-.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-seat-before.jpg   Gaston the 1982 2CV-seat-after.jpg  

Gaston the 1982 2CV-interior-soundproofing-position.jpg  
    Dave Rogers likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information