Project Belle' - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Project Belle'

Last week, I bought a ’54 203 as a donor vehicle for Belle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1285.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	78865

The chassis was in poor condition. Initially I thought, if you were keen it was salvageable. But on closer inspection, it would have been a lot of work. Major work, would be a better description. The whole floor pan and sill sections would have needed replacing.

Name:	DSCN1301.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	78874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1305.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	78876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1306.jpg 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	78877 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1311.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	78879

Name:	DSCN1304.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	78875

With the engine and gearbox previously removed, the stripping process was sped up.

The doors, bonnet and boot lid are all free of rust, but the front and rear guards have small amounts of rust and a few dints, but nothing that is too serious. The same goes for the sills, the flat edge along the bottom of both will need some remedial work.

Name:	DSCN1300.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	78873 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1298.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	78870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1299.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	78872 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1297.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	78869

Name:	DSCN1296.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	78868

It had a good dashboard, which is useful as Belle's has had a largish temperature gauge inserted hers. A gauge will be re-installed, but discretely under the dash.

Advertisement

Robmac, your right, now I do need a shed to store the spare panels for both Belle and Keith. Cannot fit anymore bits into the garage roof rafters.

After cutting off the roof, I pulled on a ‘B’ pillar and it just broke off. It was nearly rusted all the way through. The other side was the same. Something to check when restoring my girl.

Name:	DSCN1294.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	78866 Number one son with all the appropriate PPE gear ?? At least he now wears shoes, shirt and masks etc. I had to put my foot down, as it was an accident waiting to happen.

Name:	DSCN1295.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	78867

Unfortunately, the wreck had a mix matched set of brake drums. Some 403 and what was 203 were badly pitted or had sections broken off the rim of the drums.

If anyone has a set of 203 drums and front shoes, plus the shoe spreader plate (?) please send me a PM.

The gearbox was an early box, which had been converted to a floor change set up.

Name:	gear box.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	78880

As for the diff, well enough said…

A friend up this way, has three 203’s from a 1949 through to a late ‘C’ all needing restoring, so he took the box and everything else I did not want.

Cheers.

Dano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Belle'-dscn1310.jpg  
    Last edited by Dano; 25th January 2016 at 02:51 PM.
    GreenBlood and StephineS like this.

I reckon you could have sold that to someone in UK for restoration....

Seriously, what a great find and sensible actions!! It always surprises me how similar the basic shape and construction is to the Renault 4CV - same shape bolt-on mudguards, basic shell (for example bottom corners below windscreen etc. I guess both follow 1930s Chevrolet in that regard.

Regarding safety, here's water well drilling near Mackay in 1980 - so I guess SOME progress has been made in the Sunshine State.... The shirt was due to the cold, early in the morning and came off later of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Belle'-abbott-point-barefoot-drillers-1980.jpg  
    Dano likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Having recently been privileged to a private viewing of our 'Belle' I have to say she is, and will be again, a chic little bit of French finesse.

Sitting in the passenger seat I realised these old cars have a natural charisma that modern cars just don't have, the simplicity, the style and lack of plastics immediately transport one back in time to a fun place.

I reckon Dan is on the right track with the antique cream color scheme too..

She is a ripper little car and when she's completed to the astonishing standard that Dan is renowned for she will be a real head turner.

We should do some crowd funding and make a movie or documentary about all the old 50's French cars we can get our hands on while we are still able to drive and enjoy them.

Congratulations on your find Dano.

Dan, I think you are on the right path with this cream. The sample I sent you (Arunta Beige) is authentic to my wagon and looks OK on a commercial but I think something lighter looks better on a sedan. The beige is also rather a funny colour, throwing pink in some lights. This could be explained by its red content which appears when the paint separates in the can. The advice of my automotive painting teacher many years ago was to avoid dark colours on VW beetles. His logic was that dark colours do not suit rounded forms - and a 203 sedan is fairly round!

As an alternative, I think 203s look good in light grey. Red trim goes well with this colour and is an authentic combination. The 404 in the attached photo is about the right shade of grey. Just my two cents worth. If you stick with the cream, red trim should also go OK.

You might also consider something more yellow like the Ford Sandstone I used on my Dodge (second photo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Belle'-copy-2-p1010032.jpg   Project Belle'-1-jan-7.jpg  
    Dano likes this.

1000+ Posts

Our 203 wagon was light grey. I just wish we had some photos of it. Wasn't a priority in those days though.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Not sure if this site, Auto A4 (https://www.auto4a.com) has been mentioned here before, but I found and used it recently.

Name:	DSCN1518.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	81675

They mainly deal in the older models, Peugeot 403 and earlier,Renault R8’s, Fregates etc and the older Citroen Tractions etc., plus other makes/models.

Name:	A4.png 
Views:	512 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	81678

Although the website’s order page offers international shipment, it only shows France as an option. However, if you email them an order and pay by credit card (you do have to send these details via emai), they will ship to Australia. It took a couple of emails to confirm the order etc, but nothing too onerous. They are also very prompt in responding to emails.

As a trial, a small order was placed and it consisted of 2 x rear pillar sidelights, 2 x tail light seals and 2 x seals for the flipper arm indicator housings.

Name:	DSCN1514.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	81674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1519.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	81676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1520.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	81677

As far as I could tell, all their items are aftermarket replicas, they do not appear sell any genuine NOS items.
    The website is not the easiest to navigate, but there are a lot worse out there.

I am happy with the quality of the supplied items and I will use them again.

Now for the disclaimer about recommending a supplier and or parts to others, caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware"

Cheers,

Dano

Tinkered with Belle’s rear end today.

The worst part about having two cars to restore is I know I should finish the 404 first, but curiosity got the better of me again. I was intrigued to see what condition the differential was in, as I have been offered a few 403 centres of late. According to the parts manual, the diff in a 203 ‘C’ is interchangeable with the early 403’s.

So up on stands she went and the process begun.

Name:	DSCN1524.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	82037

From the moment the oil was drained, I was not expecting great results.

The first thing out was just a huge glob of almost solidified sludge. To be expected, since the car has been sitting around for 23 years plus.

Name:	DSCN1528.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	82034 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1550.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	82056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1552.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	82057

The next interesting point was the left rear brake line had been cut off, just shy of the wheel cylinder. Strange way to disconnect the line. Has to be done though, if the banjo joint is frozen into the cylinder, except in this case there was no banjo joint.

Name:	DSCN1531.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	82039

The build-up of grease/oil and road grunge around the diff bolts took some cleaning away.

Name:	DSCN1534.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	82054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1536.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	82055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1537.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	82060

The easiest way would have been to completely remove the whole rear end, but since I had to put it back together and didn’t want to run the risk of oil spilling all over the floor from the torque tube, only the axle tubes were removed. The diff that was stripped out of the ’54, which is being used for donor parts, is completely different. The crown wheel comes out of the left side of the diff housing and it is the right side in the ’55. On the other hand, the current diff/rear end could be out of a 403?

Either way, it is time to find a replacement. First thought was turn the wheel around and run on the reverse side of the teeth. However, as the following video shows, the reverse sides are starting to wear as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHuTQdq4i8

Name:	DSCN1555.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	82045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1559.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	82058

The other advantage of raising it and removing the axle housings, was it gave me a good chance to have a look around for rust damage etc. Considering its age, it is not too bad. The left sill is going to need some remedial work as well as around the panel under the bumper bar. The jacking points will need a touch up, but overall, it is OK.

Name:	DSCN1539.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	82047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1540.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	82048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1546.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	82052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1549.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	82053 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1542.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	82049

Cheers,

Dano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Belle'-dscn1544.jpg   Project Belle'-dscn1545.jpg  
    Last edited by Dano; 21st March 2016 at 11:00 AM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Doubt I'll ever use these, but they will look good in the boot/toolbag with the rest of the original tools that came with the car.

Name:	DSCN1567.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	82226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1570.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	82229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1569.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	82228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1568.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	82227

Dan, this is a great set. However there were only three spanners provided in the original tool kit (8/10, 12/14 and 17/19) - see pp67A 67B of the parts book. Given your surplus of Peugeot tools do you have a spare phillips head screwdriver 6703.02 (clear varnished wooden handle). This is the one thing I am short in my tool kit and could be persuaded to part with a quantity of legal tender for same.

Tony,

You are correct about there only being 3 spanners in the kit. I only needed one (cannot remember which one now), but they were offered as a set on eBay, Germany and bidding got competitive towards the end. Yes, they were a little expensive, but hey its a full set.

As for the phillps/posidrive head screwdriver, no I cannot help you with that. Only have one.

Do you or any other reader have a spare set of the multigrips embossed with the Peugeot name?

Cheers,

Dan

Sorry Dan, I only have one pair of multigrips - which I bought for about 12 Euros on French Ebay. They come up regularly there. Look for outil ancien Peugeot multiprise. If it helps I have a spare 17/19 spanner to which you are welcome. Then you can keep the full set to hang over your mantle piece. I also have a small package of useful 203 goodies to send you. Do you have any particular needs at this point which I can include if available?

Phillips head screwdriver anyone?

Tony
    Last edited by Commerciale; 25th March 2016 at 01:32 PM.

Tony,

Look forward to receiving the bag of goodies. As for other things no, but thanks for offer. I must finish the 404...
    The collection of 203 bits is now starting to fill the third bedroom.

Cheers,

Dan

Finally, I have found the illusive crown wheel and pinion, for Belles rear end.

Name:	Finally correct diff centre.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	94199

After two false starts, this arrived today. Found it on eBay France a few weeks ago.

Previously I have purchased two centres, but both turned out to be incorrect models. The first one was from a seller in France who agreed to take it back and refund the purchase price no questions asked. The second one was completely wrong, even after numerous emails containing dimensions, photographs of the markings on the old centre, plus numerous phone calls, confirming suitability. The seller absolutely guaranteed it was the correct one. It was in Australia, and after all the checking, I was feeling comfortable about it.

Anyhow, it was the wrong one as well. Not even the same serial number or ratio stamped on the side. Cutting to the chase, the seller basically told me to sod off. You bought it, not my fault and I’ve spent your money...
    Yes, I am aware that you buy at your own risk, but when you go to the lengths, I went to check the accuracy of the part, I felt pretty p….d off.

Still not sure what it is out off yet. It is a genuine Peugeot part, with the following markings.
    5x23
    Stamped 841005

Does anyone have a clue what it could be out off?

This arrived today, been looking for the heater core and fan unit for awhile, normally they were being sold separately, or needed re-coring. It looks as though this unit has been overhauled recently. The core looks new and the nuts and bolts are all new. The tap looks reworked as well.

Name:	heater 2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	98004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heater 1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	98005
    My wife is now happy.

This is the item I mentioned in the recent 203/403 block thread, where I wrote about a German eBay seller who purchased it from another seller on my behalf.
    59 Floride likes this.

Dan, a couple of questions. I was under the impression that a genuine heater wouldn't fit in a RHD 203 due the positioning of the steering column. Have you tried it? Also, did you get the dash mounted rheostat with the heater?

Fellow Frogger!

The heater does fit in a right hand drive 203 Tony. I had one fitted to my white 203 which I took out when I sold it to AJ. I am going to fit it to Carolyn's 203 (one day). The second one I have we are measuring up to fit in the 403 Van - anything would be better than the 403 heater that sits out the front near the radiator in a 403.
    FLASH

Thanks for that Flash - it must be a tight fit. Regarding the early style 403 heater I do have some experience with these. The problem is that the core tends to silt up and the hot water flow, although present, is restricted. Removing the top and rodding out the crap is the only answer - then they work OK.

Tony

Fellow Frogger!

I think we would rather the heat at our feet rather than out the front with the radiator..........

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I think we would rather the heat at our feet rather than out the front with the radiator..........
    If you recall the 403 has large rectangular ducting/ bracing along the length of front chassis rails .

The early heaters are a small core recessed into the duct and fan at the front.

On the 403 I owned the heater seemed to work well enough if the core was clean.

The later 403 has the Sofica style heater beneath and in the middle of the dash.
    Last edited by robmac; 15th July 2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tony, Ah no, I didn't get the rheostat, But I'll be onto it tomorrow. As for the heater, I was not worried about it fitting as my brother had a 203 some 30 years ago and it had this configuration in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think that a heater was an option on the Australian models? I guess not, because having the heater tap down round the drivers ankles is not the ideal place for adjustments as you are cruising down the road. From memory and it has been a while, it was a snug fit.

Being an original, it's OK to go into Belle and secondly and more importantly, it will keep the wife happy as well. On odd occasions, it does get cold in Brisbane.

Robmac, you're right about the 403 heater position, and as Flash said, they were fairly ineffective from memory.

A little off track for this thread, but still on PUG stuff. My family has had a few Peugeots over the years. My dad, was a Peugeot fanatic. In his eyes, nothing came close to a Peugeot. His enthusiasm wore off or more correctly stated, was drilled into his 6 sons. We all had a Peugeot of some type as our first cars. When I went to Canberra to collect the 404 with one of my brothers, we did a bit of a count and reckon we had at least 30 over the years. At one stage, we had every model from 203 to 604 parked in the front yard. Dad had the first 604 in Australia (So we believe). He privately imported the one he purchased from the factory, whilst living in England for a few years. It was a 4 speed manual without air-conditioning. It never suffered any of the carburetor issues the Australian models experienced. It arrived about about 4 months before the Australian model release.

Sorry for getting off track, just reminiscing.

Cheers

Dan
    Last edited by Dano; 15th July 2017 at 11:08 PM.
    DeeCee likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Dan: For your information and edification the heater tap on that particular Ducellier heater is very easy to adjust as you motor along.
    Sometimes the simple things work best it would appear........ Well, mine did until the fan bearing ground to a noisy halt. We're onto it though.......even looks like the original three bladed fan 'ancienne' may be replaced with a multi-vaned drum type one. The Korumburra expert reckons it's an easy fix and who am I to argue? I'll let you know when and if it gets done. For now I've been busy reconstructing a 403 steering column cowl for him.......like me it was feeling its age, also like me it was very warped (among other things!)
    How about another 'Belle' update?
    Okay be good (ish!) Deane.

These were delivered this morning.

Name:	20171209_094306.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	101849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171209_094341.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	101850

They are interesting because they are pliable and not rigid like the original product. I have contacted the seller to ask it he knows what material/polymer was used to fabricate them. Hopefully they will stand up to the Australian sun.

I found them on the following website, which is a bit like Aussiefrogs. It appears to be administered by one individual.

https://www.zerotrois.ch/

It contains some interesting information about 203 and 403s. (It does convert to English.)

Cheers

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 9th December 2017 at 11:08 PM.

Hi Dan
    Great job. :-)

Kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post

I found them on the following website, which is a bit like Aussiefrogs. It appears to be administered by one individual.

https://www.zerotrois.ch/

It contains some interesting information about 203 and 403s. (It does convert to English.)

Cheers

Dano
    I'm a fan of that site already, particularly after spotting the good looking sort holding the shield.

Peter, Peter, Peter! Hahaha

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information