Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By Balki
  • 3 Post By Balki
  • 3 Post By Balki
  • 1 Post By daffyduck
  • 1 Post By Balki

Thread: DS21 Safari restoration

Default DS21 Safari restoration

I thought i better start a thread about the resto of my safari, in my other post i started a discussion on the engine rebuild and modification which is under way and currently still at the machine shop, so i have got in and removed all the flooring and tar based deadener, rust convertered the surface rust and painted the floor with wattly DTM985 which is an awesome product, its bascially a 2 part epoxy high solid surface tolerant paint that even brake fluid wont touch if left submerged for months, i then put resomat from front to back taped the joins and put ezy cool heat insulation on seat box front floor and fire wall, im hoping this should keep me cool, i removed the aircon unit as a friend who does ac systems is going to modify it to take late model oring fittings and a better tx valve, i wil refit it and use a modern compresser with new hoses, over the heat insulation i have some underfelt that has a polyurethane suspended layer in the middle to make the car event quieter, enjoy the pics, i will post more when i get more work done, the pictures of the fuel tank show how much dust there was, under the tank was full with a perfect inprint of the tank in the dust, there was a spot of rust under it which was a relief, oh and the little helper is my daughter Celeste
    DS21 Safari restoration-38.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-40.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-41.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-42.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-35.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-37.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-44.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-45.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-46.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-49.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-51.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-img_0929.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-47.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-48.jpg

Advertisement
    David S, dishaka, JohnW and 3 others like this.

Yes!!!!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nice! You'll be pleased with the heat and sound reduction by insualting it. My '63ID19 without a roof on it is Wwwwwayyyy quiter than the same car in the colour blue with a roof fitted...

Is that a spray paint, or can you roll/brush it on

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

you can roll it on spray it, or brush it, i brushed it as it flowes nicely and you can put on a thicker coat in one go and push it into all the nooks and crannies

And the BEST little helper there is!
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

found some pictures on my camera of the work I did on it late last year, this included removing the roof and sorting roof rail rust, paint stripped and repainted roof in two pak, fitted reduction starter, heavy duty battery leads, powder coated air filter housing and battery tray alternator brackets etc, new water pump, new thermostat, new suspention boots all round and new bump stops, rebuilt the steering rack, fabricated stainless exhaust, two paack painted the wheels, rebuilt the spheres, replaced upper and lower ball joint dust boots, fitted grease nipples to all the steering ball joints, 123 ignition, VN commodore alternator with built in reg, refitted roof using sikaflex so now its sealed for life, found the roof wrack fitted perfectly on the xantia to take it in to my work for polishing

DS21 Safari restoration-88.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-89.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-90.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-91.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-92.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-93.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-98.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-99.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-100.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-101.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-102.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-img_1723.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-img_1725.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-104.jpg
    Dano, JohnW and dishaka like this.

Drool. I'm newly inspired.

SF

Like the photo of stripping the paint off the roof, brings back memories for me. I did the same years ago with paint stripper and lots of elbow grease, it's a huge surface area to prep. Then I went to the local paint shop and said if I bring you my car roof and a couple of other bits that I've prepped will you paint it for me. They thought I was a bit odd, but we agreed a price and I turned up in the Safari with the roof in the back hanging out the tailgate! I then undid the tailgates and left it all with them, they painted it (midnight blue) and we drove around in the fresh air for a few days!

making some more progress on the interior while waiting for the machine shop to finish engine parts

DS21 Safari restoration-56.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-57.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-58.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-59.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-60.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-61.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-62.jpgDS21 Safari restoration-63.jpg
    Lasya, Boyracer and UFO like this.

Did you happen to find carpet clips? Everybody needs some of those.
    Lasya likes this.

you mean the clips sewn onto the carpet, mine were still good so reused them
    Lasya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    you mean the clips sewn onto the carpet, mine were still good so reused them
    Yes. Most of those are now wasted.

Thread Information