Melun "service"
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geodon
  • 1 Post By David M

Thread: Melun "service"

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    502

    Default Melun "service"

    Is it just me or are other people finding this mob a bit "precious"? 3 emails 2 weeks ago & zippo replies.

    Advertisement


    They seem to more stuff than Der Franzose but the latter OTOH seems very eager to please.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    32,793

    Default

    I have been dealing with Melun for years and although they aren't as sharp as I would like they generally do deliver, except for that annoying European trend of not telling you in advance that they are out of a stocked item. Instead you wait until your parcel arrives and only then discover it is short an item or two.

    Der Franzose on the other hand seem faultless.

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,677

    Default

    My experience of Melun is that they do deliver, over more than ten years now.

    The best service I've had from France is Mecaparts and Web Pieces Retro. Mecaparts are good at replying to emails in English and even remind you when something unavailable comes into stock. Some of us know WPR personally - excellent, variable range of odd things and he will build most things for you to a high standard - e.g. gearbox, engine, distributor etc etc.

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    Is it just me or are other people finding this mob a bit "precious"? 3 emails 2 weeks ago & zippo replies.
    Two weeks ago is circa Christmas and New Year holiday period. Can't people who own their own business have a few days off and possibly travel to somewhere warmer for a short holiday? I think you may be expecting a bit too much at this time of year, for something that is unlikely a VOR emergency.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Melun seem to have a mixed reputation here. I was wandering around the Bourse at Cognac yesterday in the rain (they were there along with their competitors) and I overheard some very vocal local cursing them in no uncertain terms. I have no experience, I use
    Depanoto who have never let me down over 40 years, Renel (who don't like shipping overseas) and NeoRetro.

    Don't expect from anyone in France the concept of 'customer first' that we take for granted. Lunch breaks, opening hours and holidays are sacrosanct and employees have priority over customers. Business owners take the same position because legislation freezes out the opportunity to open retail businesses outside a definition of a narrow working week. The argument against DIY stores opening on Sundays still rages. Some concessions are being gained so that tourists can shop in certain locations at weekends and after normal hours.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Two weeks ago is circa Christmas and New Year holiday period. Can't people who own their own business have a few days off and possibly travel to somewhere warmer for a short holiday? I think you may be expecting a bit too much at this time of year, for something that is unlikely a VOR emergency.

    Yes!

    Good point Simon.

    Totally overlooked.
    JohnW likes this.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    monbulk
    Posts
    642

    Default

    The second paragraph is quite engaging.
    As the people working for these car part warehouses I would think they have a claim to a defined set of hours, wages and conditions.
    Putting plastic, rubber and metal bits in boxes and sticking on a label to the far flung parts of the earh (OZ) is not going to be 24/7.
    Are the workers currently being paid a "living wage" or does the government top up the local wages with a "family benefit" as we do here?
    The question of weekend work here, as you would know, is by penalty rates. There is a recent suggestion here by the Productvity Commission to "reform" a range of worker benefits. Are workers in France compensated for "unfriendly" working conditions.
    There appears to be a bit of a parallel about the entitltlements where you are in France and here in Australia.

    D
    Wildebeest likes this.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,883

    Default

    Yes, they have a very rigidly defined set of working conditions and that is the cause of the challenge facing France. When economic times were easy it was politically simple and expedient to make sure that the benefits were spread as fairly as possible. However once an easy life is legislated it is very hard to take it back. Politicians responded by allowing borrowing to fund the benefits that the economy could no longer support, in the hope that future growth would cover the debt. They got it wrong and now France has a debt burden that it still cannot cut back. It employees and their on-costs are no longer competitive. The government is struggling to cut those costs back and is faced with the inevitable results that unemployment is rising with no end in sight and the capital investment that creates jobs is going elsewhere.
    The controls are so illogical and repressive that you get scenes like my Panhard parts supplier who runs a small enterprise and was forced to stop taking orders for the last few months of last year to avoid his revenue going over an arbitrary ceiling for these business structures.
    It is fruitless trying to pay a 'living wage' from either taxation or employers if the value of the work as seen in global markets is inadequate for people to purchase the goods or services. The French worker today, in common with his peers across the globe, earns his euros and spends it on Chinese manufactured goods, holidays elsewhere, communication and informations services without national identity etc.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Hi,

    I have used Melun Retro Passion for a few years. Their bits and pieces are in the process of restoring my second 4CV. Their deliveries usually arrive in less than 10 days and I have always had 100% of my order delivered. I have also used Ichard and like John, Web Pieces Retro. Same story, good service. Maybe I am just lucky.

    Regards

    David

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Yes, they have a very rigidly defined set of working conditions and that is the cause of the challenge facing France. When economic times were easy it was politically simple and expedient to make sure that the benefits were spread as fairly as possible. However once an easy life is legislated it is very hard to take it back. Politicians responded by allowing borrowing to fund the benefits that the economy could no longer support, in the hope that future growth would cover the debt. They got it wrong and now France has a debt burden that it still cannot cut back. It employees and their on-costs are no longer competitive. The government is struggling to cut those costs back and is faced with the inevitable results that unemployment is rising with no end in sight and the capital investment that creates jobs is going elsewhere.
    The controls are so illogical and repressive that you get scenes like my Panhard parts supplier who runs a small enterprise and was forced to stop taking orders for the last few months of last year to avoid his revenue going over an arbitrary ceiling for these business structures.
    It is fruitless trying to pay a 'living wage' from either taxation or employers if the value of the work as seen in global markets is inadequate for people to purchase the goods or services. The French worker today, in common with his peers across the globe, earns his euros and spends it on Chinese manufactured goods, holidays elsewhere, communication and informations services without national identity etc.
    I've just placed my 1st order for Dauphine rear axle rubber boots.

    Gerry's synopsis is deadly accurate; postage for 2 boots= 60 Euros. That sort of charge is familiar to me. I experienced the same in 2012 in Bella Italia where a swollen, inefficient, government run postal service is there, in effect, for its "workers". Some friends bought shoes & clothes to mail home & it was barely worth the effort when they spent literally hours (despite my being fluent) & heaps of Euros on postage to get them home. Years ago, I experienced no such problems in Germany when buying rarer VW bits.

    This means I must source as much as possible locally (hoses, bearings, seals, V-belts), repair (water pump, transmission mounts) and make stuff (gaskets) rather than replace, thereby contributing to the lack of employment in France.

    Mais, c'est la vie, ne c'est pas?

    John W, your contacts were impeccable, if costly! Merci!!
    Last edited by geodon; 14th February 2015 at 08:33 AM.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    I've just placed my 1st order for Dauphine rear axle rubber boots.

    Gerry's synopsis is deadly accurate; postage for 2 boots= 60 Euros. That sort of charge is familiar to me. I experienced the same in 2012 in Bella Italia where a swollen, inefficient, government run postal service is there, in effect, for its "workers". Some friends bought shoes & clothes to mail home & it was barely worth the effort when they spent literally hours (despite my being fluent) & heaps of Euros on postage to get them home. Years ago, I experienced no such problems in Germany when buying rarer VW bits.

    This means I must source as much as possible locally (hoses, bearings, seals, V-belts), repair (water pump, transmission mounts) and make stuff (gaskets) rather than replace, thereby contributing to the lack of employment in France.

    Mais, c'est la vie, ne c'est pas?

    John W, your contacts were impeccable, if costly! Merci!!
    Glad the contacts were helpful.

    Regarding the postage cost, well, not exactly. Many of the European parts suppliers have a minimum postage charge. The trick is to buy as much as possible within that initial postage charge by adding items until the postage is exceeded, then dropping the last item off the list. Tedious? Yes..... But the method does work. Web Pieces Retro doesn't do it that way incidentally.

    And, of course, quite a bit is available locally. Seals, some bearings, odd NOS stuff on ebay and from, for example, members of the 4CV Register. Renault 4CV top hoses can be cut from a lower hose from an early Holden Barina (although it might now be harder to find than a 4Cv hose....)

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts driven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    in France and UK

    Don't forget to ask for an ex VAT price otherwise you will miss out on the 18% discount

    No VAT paid on overseas sales...to Australia

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    in France and UK

    Don't forget to ask for an ex VAT price otherwise you will miss out on the 18% discount

    No VAT paid on overseas sales...to Australia
    Good point. On some sites, e.g. Web Pieces Retro, that happens automatically when the delivery address is specified as outside France.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •