Peugeot 404 Utility Project - Page 7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Peugeot 404 Utility Project

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Trust me, it ain't from a 504 or 505 : neither have a unit joint. The diff, tt , gearbox and engine are a rigid assembly.

Advertisement

The assembly is mounted to the body/chassis with met-elastic mounts at the engine and diff.
    True for the Australian-delivered sedans. Wagons, utilities and low-spec overseas models use uni joints, just like the 404.
    cjl likes this.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    Attachment 91435Attachment 91438Attachment 91439Attachment 91440FiAttachment 91441Attachment 91436Attachment 91437

The thought of fitting this assembly solo was a bit daunting. Especially with my spinal issues.

I had a surplus pot plant mobile platform and some scissor jacks so after a bit of welding, I felt I had a solution. The jacks enabled me to get the TT/prop shaft/GB nicely lined up with the diff. The middle jack turned out to be not needed & in fact was a nuisance so I removed it

It worked well & with the GB pushed forward over the front beam and then backwards, I was able to partially engage the diff splines as shown by the wheels turning when I turned the GB input shaft by hand.

And then it got stuck and wouldn't push in all the way home.

I'm not sure just how hard to push- I can get a couple of G-clamps and squeeze the flanges together,

Comments?
    Good work..... a little mechanical assistance always helps!

You will need to get the torque tube and diff aligned before it will slot in. In your photos, it seems like they're at different angles. You may need to unbolt the U-bolts from the springs to get some rotation of the diff, then tighten it up again later.
    Scotty

And as an aside... do you have the spring in the back of the prop shaft?
    Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    And as an aside... do you have the spring in the back of the prop shaft?

You betcha!
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    Good work..... a little mechanical assistance always helps!

You will need to get the torque tube and diff aligned before it will slot in. In your photos, it seems like they're at different angles. You may need to unbolt the U-bolts from the springs to get some rotation of the diff, then tighten it up again later.
    It's not just the alignment!

On inspection, the GB is ~100mm forward of its 3 point mounts but the TT & diff flanges are only 50mm apart.

During the resto, I dismantled the springs to clean & lubricate the leaves. The shackles are double jointed so the springs (with the diff attached) are free to move back & forth to a certain degree. The back end obviously ended up bolted back in about 50mm to far forward

The only fixed point in this whole shebang is the GB and so the back end needs to have a "re-set".

I can't see a way out of it: the spring/diff assembly needs to be released then hooked up to the TT. Now the GB can be fixed into its position & then the diff/springs assembly is jacked up and (with the shackles loose) bolted into place.

The problem is the places to suspend the body in the rear are quite a distance from the ground .

I'm going to have to get creative.
    Dano likes this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default Success!

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1891.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1968.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1969.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1970.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1966.jpg

I quickly realised I would need another mobile platform for the rear end so I adapted the dolly I made for the Dauphine power unit.

The high lift was obtained by modifying 2 semi-useless car stands I bought for peanuts at a swap meet ages ago- their bases were all of 125mm square. There was no way I was getting under anything they held up!

Getting alignment was a doddle once everything was out in the open. The G clamps were def not required.

With everything bolted up, the two mobile platforms moved as one and rolled nicely into position.

Using a cordless drill to turn the scissor jacks, getting the lift was easy & the castors made aligning the mounts no problem at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1967.jpg  
    marty 404 and FIVEDOOR like this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default Addendum.

Well I had to detach everything & do it again. I was working beneath the car attaching all & sundry and when I went to put in the top GB mount, the hole had shifted even though the two lower ones were done up. It was plumb dead centre immediately after lifting the GB up but misaligned as I worked elsewhere. No amount of levering etc. would get it to line up.

This is probably due the GB moving as the weight shifted.

If you're doing a GB refit put the top bolt in FIRST!

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default I'm Baaaaaccck!

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2081.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2096.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2095.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2094.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2093.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2092.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2091.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2090.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2089.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2088.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2087.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2086.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2085.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2084.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2083.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2082.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2097.jpg

Fear not Comrade Punters, I'm still on the right side of the daisies!

Struck down with medical issues late April. Resolved. Growing older is a bitch but the alternative is worse. Trimmed down the fleet a bit- spinal issues. Unnecessary as it turned out, but c'est la vie! The Landy & bike have gone. I can't work out how to change my signature.

Onwards!

The spare wheel carrier fastener problem solved. It probably should have some sort of a wheel handled bolt to lock it in but I used an M8 Allen bolt

I installed the fuel tank after having the perforated upper section bronzed up. I don't have oxy so it was outsourced plus I have a phobia about flames on petrol tanks. Ye Gods! Les Francaise believe in minimal engineering, don't they? 30 (?) litres of petrol defying gravity via a single 8mm threaded rod a single M8 nut. I'm considering installing a couple of check straps so I can sleep!

Major movement was the installation of a 505 radiator, instead of reco-ing the original. Rather than restoring a 1600 I'm going for a used, re-freshed 2 litre motor. I mocked it up with wood blocks, and, guided by One Who Has Travelled this Path, was told to lower it a bit. It's vital to put it hard against the RH inner guard & the right height is critical to get a hook up to the water pump outlet.

Rubber bushes were made with stuff from Clark Rubber.

I made an adaptor bracket for both the lower and upper mounts.

It looks pretty swish, and, as Ed China would say: " A lick of paint and Job Done!"

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Fellow Frogger!

Its great to see your back in action
    I like your radiator installation I am going down the same path .

Default Addendum

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2098.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_2099.jpg

The 404 rad is only half the width of the 505 so one central top mount was adequate- that Gallic phobia of over-engineering again?

But one mount for the 505 unit meant there was way too much fore & aft movement on the LH side.

So I made a simple strut with 6mm rod & a couple of washers & utilised one of the bonnet lock fixing mounts to attach it.

Should I find another orig strut I'll use it for symmetry but as the bonnet lock mounts are about 20mm further inboard, I'll need to do a cut & shut to get it to fit.
    Last edited by geodon; 13th October 2017 at 06:31 AM.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread Information