Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Peugeot 404 Utility Project

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks looks like a spot weld drill bit and a lot of patience for me
    Marty

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    Attachment 78649Attachment 78643Attachment 78644Attachment 78645Attachment 78646Attachment 78647

OK

All straightforward. Front end also

Very neat arrangement! I'm impressed.

I made a note in the jiffy bags with the nuts etc that the rear springs when released tried to "make a circle" so there may be an issue lining up the mounting holes on reassembly. I propose to use some truck size tie-down ratchet straps to compress the springs and make the ellipse wider thereby (hopefully) lining up the bolts.

Thank God for rattle guns & my Fergy to do heavy lifting.

That's it while I wait for the rotisserie. Over to the Dauphine to reassemble the power unit.
    Great work George. and that is one impressively tidy work space!
    Cheers Gerry

I once purchased a 1966 Porsche 911S with a petrol powered heater. It was originally a Belgium vehicle shipped to the US and purchased here as a Califormian car sight unseen. Lots of rust!

Removed the heater and binned it. Not brave enough to try and fire it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuffen View Post
    I once purchased a 1966 Porsche 911S with a petrol powered heater. It was originally a Belgium vehicle shipped to the US and purchased here as a Califormian car sight unseen. Lots of rust!

Removed the heater and binned it. Not brave enough to try and fire it up.

Same here! The thought of driving with a flame going was too terrifying to consider.

Because the petrol burner was fitted, the usual VW heater was not installed so I just rugged up when driving in the winter.

The Australian Army did buy, I think, 3x182's (RHD) to try out. These were Safari models with tropical air filters & no petrol burning heaters. They gave these European versions a fair go but opted in the end to keep their Series Land Rovers as being more suitable for Australian conditions e.g. 4WD vs RWD with an LSD.

They were also offered the VW Australia Country Buggy which preceded the 181 by a few years and they just ROFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Country_Buggy

Ghastly things! The only car I ever owned with a roof that leaked like a sieve & a floor that was 100% watertight. You'd hit the brakes in heavy rain & your ankles got wet courtesy of the inertial tsunami.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Attachment 64706Attachment 64707Attachment 64708Attachment 64709Attachment 64710

I'm now the new owner of Adrian Wuilleman's Peugeot 404 utility. Man, that was an interesting drive from Sydney to Geelong with a thumping load on the trailer. Everything went well thanks in part to Adrian's skill at tying Gordian knots with my elastic ropes.

I've admired these things for many years and am looking forward to doing a sympathetic resto.

The first challenge is to get it off the trailer- both rear brakes are seized and the tyres have "ceased to be".

Well you have to start somewhere so I will start with the wheels: sandblast, paint (Sage Grey) & new tyres. Are 165x15 cross-ply appropriate?

I am aiming for a European style canopy. Can someone put me onto to a contact that has one? About 10 years ago, I restored a 1960 VW single cab ute with an original canopy & from photos they are very similar: i.e. U-section steel hoops & hardwood slats. I'd like someone to do me a template so I can bend the hoops.
    How did the Big 6 go towing that all that distance
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    How did the Big 6 go towing that all that distance
    Errrrm, I used the SO's Territory.

Hey! BUT it DOES have a Peugeot derived diesel powering it!

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default Rotiserie Hook Up

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1418.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1420.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1421.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1422.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1423.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1424.jpg

The rotisserie arrived. I chose this one because of the whopping 8 inch polyurethane castors. I have a rough concrete floor in the workshop and I will need to move it around often & to pull it out onto the grass with the Fergie for high pressure washing. I have an old boat trailer winch to pull it back inside. I learned from the first mobile trestle I made for the Dauphine that small (100mm) rubber tyred castors are a PITA.

ALL rotisserie suppliers stress that you need to have the car close to the uprights to minimise stress. That's fine but you lose access to the front & rear. So I used square sleeves to go over the "horns" of the unit but they are 6mm thick and a nice tight fit. This means, I hope, the downwards force will be applied right back to the upright rather that at the end. (Structural engineers feel free to pontificate!). Hopefully, I will be able to rotate the sleeves 180 degrees to accommodate the Dauphine later.

The rear connections was to have been via 8mm plate rectangles connecting to the rear spring hangers but the span was ~ 100mm too much so I will have to drill 2 more holes in the cross member to get the narrower span.

The front will connect via the jacking points. The 1 inch square thick walled steel tube fitted the jack points very neatly & will be welded onto the sleeves.

Oh! The reason the front mounts are skewed is because the jack points are splayed outwards.
    Dano likes this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Suggestion:

Rather than drill holes mig some plates with studs. Then they can be ground off and this keeps the vehicle original.
    Dano likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Default Prior to going on rotisserie

Attachment 79964Attachment 79965Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1439.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1440.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1442.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1446.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1447.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1448.jpg

OK Robmac, you've pricked my conscience. I won't drill more holes! (said he who cut a hole in his Dauphine boot to get better access!)

Before going on, I had to work on the rear of the tray while I had good access- repair a ding and remove two ugly brackets that had been welded on to support a bastardised tray.

It wasn't straightforward as they were welded into corners where I couldn't get at them with an angle grinder.

My slide hammer wasn't up to pulling out the folded tray & there was SFA room to swing a hammer so I cut it out, bashed it straight the welded it back.

I noticed there MAY be a very slight dip in the outside corners of the tray (overloading??) but will wait till I get the sides on & decide if it needs attention.

The brackets were at least 5mm bar & welded in with extreme prejudice. I elected to try to drill out the thick welds using 1/8 then 3/16 double ended bits. Due to the uneven surfaces, starting points for the drills were hammered in using a king sized awl. Once done, a cold chisel & hammer did the job.

One came off cleanly, t'other left some damage. I'll wait till it can be rotated before tackling the repair

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default That went well!

The last time I attached a vehicle to a rotisserie, I badly estimated the axial centre of gravity. Not this time. I was spot on!

I was a bit concerned that, like the tackle of one of the protagonists on The Tales of Eskimo Nell, it may have bent in the middle like a bow string fiddle. But no! Perfectly rigid.

Adrian, I hope you didn't pay overly for the de-rusting. They obviously didn't expect anyone to see the work they did underneath. OK it's effective but Mon Dieu it's crude. I'm going to have to tidy it up a bit. There are also some small areas of rust that will require some minor cutting & shutting.

As you can see, I've opted for clamps made of heavy angle iron. Two reasons:

(a) Flexibility. By avoiding welding bits onto the rotisserie, I can use it for other cars e.g. the Dauphine

(b) Fitting & removing. With the Kombi I did ages ago, when it came time to dismount, the movement etc during resto made it difficult to remove a yoke frame. This way, I can release each of the mounts separately & easily. The price paid was drilling 20+ 10mm holes!

Now the drudgery starts: wire brushing, rubbing down etc. etc. At least I can do it without getting crap all over me!

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1449.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1452.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1453.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1454.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1456.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1457.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1458.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1459.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1460.jpg
    Last edited by geodon; 30th January 2016 at 06:45 PM.
    Demannu likes this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

That is a trick piece of kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    That is a trick piece of kit!

Dan, things have changed.

A long time ago when I made the my 1st one, materials alone cost me more than this one AND it had a length of 1 inch all thread at each end instead of hydraulic rams for lifting.

I'm not sorry I sold it now. This is a breeze to use & makes my old one look amateurish.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default Underbody coating

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1461.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1462.jpg

Does anyone have details of what this sound deadener (?) coating is?

It appears to be on the underside on the passenger compartment & to have been used on the inside floor & up the firewall.

It will be damn useful to "dignify" some of the underbody repairs!

It appears to be the same colour as the bodywork, so I'd be looking for something I apply (brush, roller, spray?) then paint later?

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Fellow Frogger!

Think it is called stone guard. Any automotive paint supply place will have it
    Adrian Wuillemin

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Thanks, Adrian!

A bit of a search & I think this (solvent based C-Guard) is the go:

http://solutions.3m.com.au/3MContent...bute=ImageFile

So, wire brushing, rust repairs etc , then (no primer required) a few layers of this in grey, then Sage Grey acrylic to colour it, then K&H Diamond Hard epoxy clear brushed on (leaves no brush marks!) to toughen it up.

Sounds real easy.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    It's a Wurth product. And supplied as screw on bottle for a under body sealer gun. Good stuff and water clean up.

Default I've Turned the Corner!

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1473.jpg

The 1st bit of paint has gone on!

OK it's only primer but I've stopped going backwards.

I'm starting at the front & working my way along the secondary areas (underside, engine bay etc) doing rust repairs (lots of pin holes & minor cut & shuts) then wire brushing etc. followed by a light coat of primer to seal everything

Rather than set up my pop-up spray booth See entry this thread 13/2/15) I'm using rattle can primer for the small areas I do as I go.

Later, I'll set up then give it the full primer treatment then stone-guard then colour
    Last edited by geodon; 5th February 2016 at 04:34 PM.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Default Progress!

Greetings Comrade Punters!

I'm back after a forced hiatus.

The crap job of de-rusting & de-scaling to get ready to paint is over.

Of all the gear available, I found these the most useful:

45X Stainless CUP Wire Wheel Polishing Brush Kits Grinder Rotary Tool FOR Dremel | eBay

9 X ZA Abrasive Sanding Sponges Industrial Quality 60 100 150 3 OF Each | eBay

Granted, it would depend on your own situation but those Dremel brushes were amazing at getting into the nooks & crannies

Once descaled, it was time to play musical car stands to get the pop-up spray booth up. Note: if you are making stands to move immobile car bodies use the biggest castors you can afford. The Dauphine's are 100mm & are a pig to push.

Ah! The joy of a big workshop! The Dauphine is out of the way but I can still get to the workbenches.

I'm no spray painter but will do the secondary areas: underbody, eng bay, cabin floor & tray. I will use acrylic primer, then stonechip where applicable, then acrylic colour then finish with a "diamond hard", self levelling epoxy clear which goes on with sponge brushes & rollers. I did the wheels this way & it was a good tough finish.

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1512.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1513.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1518.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1519.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1524.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1525.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1527.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1528.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1510-copy.jpg

I tried doing it bit by bit with primer in rattle cans but it was a poor finish & damn expensive. So I protected any bare metal by sloshing with plenty of phosphoric acid based rust inhibitor which will be a good etch for the paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1523.jpg  
    Last edited by geodon; 5th June 2016 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Adrian Wuillemi likes this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Love your workshop.
    Dano likes this.

Default More Progress

Meanwhile, my electrolysis tanks keep doing their magic!

Attachment 85298Attachment 85299Attachment 85300Attachment 85301Attachment 85302

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Something wrong with the images or links to them.

Default Sorry! Camera issue

Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1572.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1573.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1574.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1575.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1576.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1578.jpgPeugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1579.jpg

Ah! That's better!

A bit blurry but suffice to say they went in rusty & grotty & came out as clean metal after a pressure wash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 404 Utility Project-img_1577.jpg  

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

WOOOOOPS!

The 1st coat of primer went badly.

I got a few patches of wrinkly blistering- a sign of water under the paint.

A victim of the bad weather?

The aqueous rust converter not dried out completely?? Now that I think about it the treated areas of bare metal should have a white-ish hue about them when 100% dry- mine were all dark brown.

I'll wait a few days then try again.

There's plenty of suspension parts, diff & TT to paint & I have to dismantle the cart springs, paint the leaves then re-assemble with some copper grease. Fortunately, only one shackle is stuffed. I'm feeling brave enough to have a crack at it too. The Land Rover experience left me in a bad place!

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

WOOOOOPS!

I got a few patches of wrinkly blistering- a sign of water under the paint.

A victim of the bad weather?

The aqueous rust converter not dried out completely?? Now that I think about it the treated areas of bare metal should have a white-ish hue about them when 100% dry- mine were all dark brown.

I'll wait a few days then try again.
    The parts may like to spend some time in the lounge room in front of the heater.

Even if I overcame the objections of SWMBO, I wouldn't get the rotisserie up 2 steps to wheel it into the living room.

Anyway, she made such a fuss over my baking a set of brake shoes in the oven for a few hours to drive off a bit of oil I'm not game to try, really.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information