• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: who needs engine hoists...

Default who needs engine hoists...

tadaaaa

Advertisement

did have to get a friend to lift while I pulled it back as it wanted to lean to its centre mass and was impossible by myself (I tried!), but at least i didnt need 3 people! Had no hooks to force it out - could have done it myself otherwise, but was complete sinch with 2, took less than 15 second to get it in.. some googling around showed that the 8V should weigh no more than 150kg.

Funny how 5 out of the 8 sheave pulley mechanisms from bunnings were already open. Clearly people use these for 1 job then return it.

Anyway, grabbed this DFZ 8V, will be reading every rebuild thread. This rebuild will set the record for the slowest rebuild on AF.
    Kenfuego likes this.

The power of lateral thinking!

A suggestion? Pulleys don't lock. Ratchet tie downs do. And they have a levering action to make the lift easier.

You may need to take a couple of "bites at the cherry" i.e. prop the block up on something while you release & re-position the tie downs to take another lift.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

The power of lateral thinking!

A suggestion? Pulleys don't lock. Ratchet tie downs do. And they have a levering action to make the lift easier.

I once lifted a VW single cab ute body using four truck ratchet tie downs over roof joists that I had braced with treated pine logs first. That enabled me to get a trailer under it.

You may need to take a couple of "bites at the cherry" i.e. prop the block up on something while you release & re-position the tie downs to take another lift.

*WHOOPS! I tried to edit & got another post! Ah well it's getting late even for insomniacs like me!*
    lion5 likes this.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

1000+ Posts

Engine stands and hoists are modern inventions... In my obviously unenlightened youth we lifted them out of the car or truck with ropes - loops around the shoulders was easiest as you stood astride the motor (it was usually possible with the n-s layout). Once out the same rope loops enabled you to support it upside down, sideways or whatever. Well equipped garages/sheds had a ceiling beam and chain block for hoisting, but once out it was back to the ropes or propping on the bench for engine assembly.

The huge gearboxes and transfer cases on Landrovers also needed to be lifted up to remove - you cannot drop them down.

My old man's engine work bench was a corker - it would have taken a huge weight, and was the preferred work place.
    Wally and lion5 like this.

*The huge gearboxes and transfer cases on Landrovers also needed to be lifted up to remove - you cannot drop them down.*

Aaahh! A subject I'm intimately familiar with. The box & t-case needs to come out via the inside before the engine comes out! That's why I cut off the cross member under the gear box and then modified it to a bolt-on. The GB can be lowered. In fact the engine & GB can be lifted out thru the front as a unit. That beats undoing a myriad of bolts in-situ.

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

1000+ Posts

Been there and done that several times! It wasn't the lifting that was tiresome (again you can straddle the box) - it was the ten thousand bolts and screws (have I missed some) that hold down the floor and seat base.

Sorry, makes me cringe, after having seen workplace and home ACCIDENTS with jury rigged tools

Advice to anyone DON'T COPY THIS to avoid reading Aussiefrog posts in hospital and wasting my taxes

Use the correct tools
    UFO and Dano like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Gee's ... I hope you had something very heavy on those shelves... all I can see is them toppling forward. That telstra rope is remarkably strong stuff.

Everyone has 2 or 3 un-used ancient block and tackle sets clogging there shed don't they ?? I have one here you could have used. Lifting them to roof height is almost as much fan as lifting the motor itself (you *just* manage to get it there and the hanging hook on it tilts forward so you can't hook it on ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Dano likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

i had 6 wheels + tyres + another rim sitting on top of that dexion table.

I'm an engineer not a doofus. The table alone weights more than the engine would
    CarNut likes this.

1000+ Posts

I'm an engineer not a doofus
    Love it! Put it under every MIEAust signature!

About 40 years ago dad bought a 1952 series 1 SWB Land Rover to tow a 27' caravan around Tasmania. He pulled the engine out with a block & tackle attached to 3 long posts forming a tripod over the car. He had a set of OS pistons, but opted to hone the bores and lathe the pistons down (with the assistance of the local gunsmith) to fit it all together. He announced it should do for 3 months. Seven years later while at the local garage, he saw another 2L Land Rover engine out the back, on inspection (pushing the flywheel round with his boot) he decided it had more compression than the engine in the car and replaced the original engine.
    lion5 likes this.

Due to the large number of workshop accidents, Worksafe Victoria have written a guide " Automotive Workshop Safety"

This is essential reading for all Home Mechanics.

https://www.vwa.vic.gov.au/__data/as...hop_safety.pdf

Remember the recent TV ad with the young boy and basketball waiting for his dad to come home

Couple of examples from the simple check lists Pg 37

Housekeeping
    Workshop floor free of slips and trips hazards
    Fluid spills cleaned up immediately
    Rubbish not stored near flammable substances
    All tools and equipment stored appropriately
    Air lines, hoses, and tools clear of floor surfaces

STAY SAFE enjoy 2015
    lion5 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the link. Mostly old fashioned common sense, but spoiled by a great deal of the Elf and Safety drivel loved so much by the public service. Rbwadley's dad's tripod was the standard lifting tackle in farms and yards in those days.

One thing that really gets my goat is this constant customer can't/shouldn't enter the workplace stuff. Any mechanic and particularly dealership who applies that rule in my book has something to hide. I've never met a really good one who works to it.

The same garbage comes from councils and utility workers - I was once told my front yard was a workplace by one of these rule-bound nuisances. I told him to get stuffed.
    CarNut and Kenfuego like this.

If you're an engineer, what's the mechanical advantage of your system? Good use of Telecom rope.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Due to the large number of workshop accidents, Worksafe Victoria have written a guide " Automotive Workshop Safety"

This is essential reading for all Home Mechanics.

https://www.vwa.vic.gov.au/__data/as...hop_safety.pdf

Remember the recent TV ad with the young boy and basketball waiting for his dad to come home

Couple of examples from the simple check lists Pg 37

Housekeeping
    Workshop floor free of slips and trips hazards
    Fluid spills cleaned up immediately
    Rubbish not stored near flammable substances
    All tools and equipment stored appropriately
    Air lines, hoses, and tools clear of floor surfaces

STAY SAFE enjoy 2015
    Hey .... Keep out of my shed !!! It would help if the bloody ugly pink car didn't keep p!$$ing LHM all over the floor

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Elf and sefty - a moving target....

There is some sort of physics laws that dictate that as engines age over the years, they get heavier to the point that an engine and gearbox that you could easily carry in your arms to the workbench 40 years ago is now so heavy you can't budge it without some help or mechanical contrivance.

Ken

Nothing that human ingenuity can't fix or fork up

Glad you found a solution that works Lion 5.

Now all speed to that engine work....
    Only19 and Whippet like this.

1000+ Posts

How many rope sections support the motor Peter?

Indeed that it is the theoretical answer.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Or you could have borrowed my engine hoist for the weekend....
    KB
    KB

Nice move.

Now you need to make a support for the engine so you can have it in the stand sideways to allow access at the main bearing seal and center the weight so the engine is in equlibrium either way up.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

yep schlitz, I bought that engine stand of renault8&10, he pointed me to a good metal spares place near my area, I dropped by to have a look at what I could use to rig up a system similar to yours you made in a post way back on a nice red coloured block. Though that'll be in quite a while. I rigged this up so I could clear space in the garage for the time being.

I was going to buy proper pulleys with ratchet straps and all that, but they were getting too pricey for my liking. that rig alone including the 680kg rated rope was $40. I can use it for anything else now though.

Peter: 2 right, two moving pulleys. I wasn't great at physics, what helped me pass back then was my maths and not the understanding.

1000+ Posts

Don't count pulleys - just think about equilibrium at the load. Angled strings up; gravity down.

but they were getting too pricey for my liking. that rig alone including the 680kg rated rope was $40.
    C143 | HS-S 1T3M Chain Block | For Sale Sydney Brisbane Melbourne Perth | Buy Workshop Equipment & Machinery online at machineryhouse.com.au

For $50 more you could have the purpose built item, which is totally and universal, safe and will last a lifetime.

The incremental cost is less than the doctor's bill or lost pay if the the cobbled up system allows the engine to fall .

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Don't count pulleys - just think about equilibrium at the load. Angled strings up; gravity down.

The number of pulleys in that system dictates how much effort is needed to pull the engine up, seasink.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    The number of pulleys in that system dictates how much effort is needed to pull the engine up, seasink.
    I would have thought that the "number of pulleys" dictates the mechanical advantage.

The weight of the object being lifted is what dictates "how much effort"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information