Gawd, another R8 upgrade - Page 8
  • Register
  • Help
Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Gawd, another R8 upgrade

Fellow Frogger!

Yes KB, apart from that 30 mm needed to line up the bottom of the front panel the panels are a really good fit, particularly the bonnet.

The dash looks the part and that yellow is a great choice for a sporty R8 in 2018. It is all coming together nicely.

Advertisement
    JohnW likes this.

Work has stalled on the steering and brakes momentarily, so I have diverted onto the electrics. Been acquiring some parts off eBay- light switch; relay mounting blocks and relays; fuse box etc.

Made up some plates to mount the relays to the side of the battery box and zinc plated them with my home kit, then dragged out the existing and spare harnesses I had. None of them are in great shape so I may use them as I guide to make my own harness up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-613bf53d-ae78-4c59-b0fc-ebb6a11521f2.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-0a8ec94e-c889-4038-a940-f4cdd0cb0f3d.jpg  
    COL, J-man, Shoji and 2 others like this.
    KB

So the wiring continues. Because the old harness (and my old spares) are in such poor condition; and because a lot of the switch gear is being changed; fused and with relays, it makes more sense to start from scratch and fabricate by own harness as I go. The harness to the rear of the car is run and installed (but not the final terminations and wrapping); and I am most of the way through the front harness. Then I will need to work out how they all join at the dash area - oh what fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0221.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0222.jpg  
    KB

Nice. Exactly WHAT is that red-handled tool? Do I need one?

This does allow you to set up fuses properly, rare in an R8...Ö Oops, forgot your earlier post. Fuses AND relays. Very nice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Lol.
    JohnW, that red handled tool is called a thingamybob.
    Handy for just this type of job. It’s also known as a red-handled Phillips head screw driver sitting behind an aftermarket headlight switch since I’ll more than likely be going with a falcon steering column and switchgear.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Lol. JohnW, that red handled tool is called a thingamybob. Handy for just this type of job. It’s also known as a red-handled Phillips head screw driver sitting behind an aftermarket headlight switch since I’ll more than likely be going with a falcon steering column and switchgear.
    Wonderful. Where do I buy one?

I confess to having a Holden windscreen wiper/washer switch since the 1970s, perhaps HQ but I can't remember, . It's very good actually. Turn for wipe, they self-park when you turn off but if you turn it to another position you can stop them where you want, and you push for wash. You can wash alone with a gentle push, or you can push hard and it turns and starts the wipers as well. There are limits to sensible originality if you use the car a lot.

I have Toyota "flood the screen" jets these days too. Brilliant and unobtrusive in the bonnet grill.

Thanks for the detailed description of course.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Page 8 of 8 First ... 45678

Thread Information