Gawd, another R8 upgrade - Page 6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Gawd, another R8 upgrade

No, you're pretty much up to date Angelo. It was too wet in Sydney this weekend to do much. The next bit of work is more dismantling of the R10 front end which is outside. I'll chase a sender float tomorrow, maybe start cleaning up the rack tomorrow night. I've decided to pull the bolts off the R10 and check their condition and maybe use those if they're good as I don't think I'll be able to get to the bolt shop for most of the week, and not sure they'd have that special square head anyway. I notice you used new bolts. Where did you get yours?

Hopefully I'll get the tank back in during the week, then the gearbox can follow.

Advertisement
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    No, you're pretty much up to date Angelo. It was too wet in Sydney this weekend to do much. The next bit of work is more dismantling of the R10 front end which is outside. I'll chase a sender float tomorrow, maybe start cleaning up the rack tomorrow night. I've decided to pull the bolts off the R10 and check their condition and maybe use those if they're good as I don't think I'll be able to get to the bolt shop for most of the week, and not sure they'd have that special square head anyway. I notice you used new bolts. Where did you get yours?

Hopefully I'll get the tank back in during the week, then the gearbox can follow.
    All the bolts were pulled off the R8 and I had them replated (Zinc), including the square head ones. A lot of wire brushing!!
    Mecaparts sells them but they come up good, so saved a bit there.

The main wishbone (long) bolts you see I had remade, as by trying to get out the original ones I damaged them.

Also I note you made up a new 'rubber' seal for the fuel tank. Just make sure you use neoprene rubber as this will resist petrol, unlike 'conventional' rubber which will break down quickly.

Thanks for that.

I bought new "Pin" bolts for top and bottom the long ones you refer to; new dangle adjusters and the locking tab that goes on those. I'll re-use the square head bolts and the locking tabs for the rest. Once I take them off the R10, I can decide if I re-plate; paint or just use as they are based on condition. Of course new balljoints top and bottom and the rack bits as per the previous posts.

I have no idea what type of rubber sheet it was; or even where it came from - probably Clark rubber a few years ago. I plan to smear some Stagg sealing compound underneath it before re-installing.
    KB

The R10 has officially retired! Various bits are going to be used in the project R8.
    Please don't throw the doors away. I seem to need a couple every 20 years or so.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

So another afternoon after work, another small step for man.
    I finished cleaning up the steering rack last night in the parts washer - I felt old this morning, the back pains from leaning over the thing for ages; the fumes; the degreaser on my hands. But it came up pretty good I think.

I also had a crack at the fuel sender arm. I had bought a genuine VDO round float but found (as did Ray) that it doesn't fit through the standard hole. Thought I would carefully crush it in the vice to make it more oblong - crack! $35 in the bin. So bought the rectangular one from Mini spares in Adelaide. Ordered Monday night, despatched tues; delivered at work just after lunch today. All up was about $21 so at least its' heading in the right direction. Installed the float on the now shortened arm - just straighten out the arm they said. Yep, stress cracking and breaking when I went to re-shape it.

Once the sender was in the tank, that lead me to bolt the tank back in place. Then I thought what the heck, I'll jack up the back of the car (actually lifted it in the centre of the trolley with my trolley jack attachment) enough to slide the gearbox and it's make shift platform trolley underneath. It almost looks it's in place already. I had added the front rotisserie stand on for added security.

When the front is ready, I'll lift the whole shell up with slings and my engine stand; remove the trolley and rotisserie stand, then drop it down onto the gearbox and front wheels.

Not a bad hour or so's work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2951.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2950.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2952.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2954.jpg  
    JohnW and R8 Dream like this.
    KB

Are you going to install a front tank KB?
    If so I have all the dimensions of the cradle I drew up for another member.
    I think the front tank is the same as an R4 tank???

Looking good.
    JohnW likes this.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

It was an R4 tank with a triangular wooden frame.
    I'm going to put some sort of front tank in, but not sure what yet. I'd like to put a foam filled fuel cell. My engineer recommends a poly one rather than alloy. He claims the alloy ones weep and smell. I haven't found a nice poly one I like yet though.
    KB

Wow, a Chemist with his own Engineer!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

It was an R4 tank with a triangular wooden frame.
    I'm going to put some sort of front tank in, but not sure what yet. I'd like to put a foam filled fuel cell. My engineer recommends a poly one rather than alloy. He claims the alloy ones weep and smell. I haven't found a nice poly one I like yet though.
    It sounds like you are on the right track. In a new build, I wouldnít be using an R4 tank. I doubt even if an engineer would sign it off on a modified car regardless of them being fitted as standard to an earlier parallel model. As fitted to an 8G they are not vented apart from the cap, so all the vapours end up in the boot, and the filler is on the opposite side to a standard R4 tank. Keep looking for a modern front tank that will likely pass scrutineering for a new build.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

I've been searching for a front tank for a while, none of the poly ones seem to be the correct shape if you want any boot space left. I've been looking for ones around the 40 litre mark, an internal pump would be nice.

That's what I'm after. Internal pump maybe not, just 'cause I may start off carburetted then go injection, so would need two different pumps?

Have you looked at the RCI range from Rocket Industries?

Ps - we still need to catch up re shocks; collapsible steering columns and kangoo m/c adapters! let me know when you're likely to be free.
    KB

You know Kevin, I reckon a cheap airfare to Auckland and a day with Frans would be great for both of you! Just a thought, or "a lonely impulse of delight"..
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

After a fruitless trip at lunchtime to acquire some valve springs to cut up (to limit the steering lock on the rack) I dropped in after work to my local mechanic and provider of pink slips to the Byron household. Gave him my shpeel and he comes back with some new nolathane bushes to try. Not a bad fit. So tonight I cut them up to make 15mm spacers for each side, installed on the rack; then screw the tie rod ends on and pull the new boots on. Final task, place the rack in place and put the bolts in finger tight- to allow movement to bolt the steering column on later on.

Finished just in time for my nightly cuppa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2956.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2957.jpg  
    Last edited by renault8&10; 28th March 2017 at 10:39 PM.
    KB

Not much to report lately, but a couple of significant steps today.
    Yesterday I went to visit a fellow restorer and picked up my custom adapter for Kangoo twin circuit master cylinder.
    This afternoon, I started assembling the front hubs and brake components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2971.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2970.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2969.jpg  
    J-man, FIVEDOOR and R8 Dream like this.
    KB

Front suspension this arvo. Bolted the lower control arms up (one had to be trimmed to clear the kangoo adapter), then started on the brakes. Not quite all back together yet but close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2972.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2973.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2974.jpg  
    BIGRR, J-man, R8 Dream and 1 others like this.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

How much did you need to trim off the control arm? Clearly I didn't take that into account. I'll have to check if the adaptor can be changed before I do a production run.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

I just squared the high edge off with an angle grinder. The rear peak on the drivers side one. I contemplated adjusting the adapter but taking the peak off the control arm was easier and simpler. It probably needs less than 5mm. It was only just scraping beforehand but enough to move the rail a couple of mm.
    KB

The joys of working on your own. Spent today trying to get the front end on, then dropping the rear end down onto the gearbox. After much cursing, the rear end is done. I need to get the front springs located right, then bolt the uprights in, so the front end is only partially done. Still its off the trolley and stands and sort of sitting on its' wheels again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2981.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2983.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2984.jpg  
    KB

Front end down. I had a few issues fitting the front springs as it was lifting off the axles stands as per the "renault special tool thread". I started to collate some scrap to try to replicate the tool, but before I did I brought home some scrap biscuit shortening - 15kg solid mass of fat in a box basically. Brought 12x15kg but only put around 8 in the boot. That did the trick!

That'll also work when the time comes to do the final suspension alignment and "tightening up". Then I'll take them back to work and throw them away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2986.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2987.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2988.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2989.jpg  
    KB

So, it hasn't progressed as quick as I would like, but there has been some pottering in the shed.
    Of note is that I've had some parts sandblasted and either powder coated or zinc plated (depending on what and where). They are going on or just about to go on. I'm pretty close to putting the engine back in, even if it is just to save some space in the garage and stop having to wheel it out every time I want to do some work.

The bonnet got bolted on tonight for a trial fit (and similar to the engine stops having to lift it off and onto a panel stand all the time. I've done a bit of a mock up of the dash, and reinstalled the R10 column (until I finalise a collapsible option) so I can steer it.

I'll visit the panel beater tomorrow I hope - I have the day off to have some medical tests done in the morning. I hope to set a time to take the car back to him to fix the front panel on; finalise fitment of the fibreglass panels, and perhaps leave the doors and panels with him for prep and internal painting so I can bolt them on for good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0131.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0130.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0129.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0133.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0128.jpg  
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Looking great!
    Better get my arse into gear with my R8 project!

Mine's loaded up ready to go to the panelbeater for a day visit tomorrow. front clip will go on, and I'll leave the panels there for priming.
    I'm watching the forecast intently as I don't want to get the freshly sanded fibreglass panels wet if I can avoid it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0154.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0153.jpg  
    JohnW, R8 Dream and bowie like this.
    KB

Front end down. I had a few issues fitting the front springs as it was lifting off the axles stands as per the "renault special tool thread". I started to collate some scrap to try to replicate the tool, but before I did I brought home some scrap biscuit shortening - 15kg solid mass of fat in a box basically. Brought 12x15kg but only put around 8 in the boot. That did the trick!

That'll also work when the time comes to do the final suspension alignment and "tightening up". Then I'll take them back to work and throw them away.
    Gee, that looks nice. Brakes should be adequate....

I forgot to comment on the novel mass loading. I'd have used a few bags of cement, but then I'd not thought of 'scrap biscuit shortening' obviously....

You've also reminded me, perhaps a bit uncomfortably, that I can't recall how I did the final tightening of the wishbone axle nuts back when I replaced all those bushes. I suspect I did not do it the right way, but 10-15 years later it is still fine. I'll know what to do next time....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Gee look at that!

Looking good!

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Thread Information