Gawd, another R8 upgrade - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Gawd, another R8 upgrade

Thanks Ray, good advice and drawings there.
    The subject of this thread is still away at the panelbeaters whom I have not spoken to since dropping off the shell early January.
    I did intend to ring and get an update or drop over there but with the storm damage to the garage, I'm not keen on hurrying him up at this stage in case he completes it in a rush and wants me to take it back during the garage reconstruction phase. It's safe in his workshop for the moment!

Advertisement
    KB

I dropped into see the car this week. The panelbeater has had it since early Jan. the body hasn't been touched - apart from sanding dust covering it (at least that may stop it rusting!) and he has started stripping the doors. Lots of bog, dents and poor previous patching evident. Didn't think they'd be that bad but given the state of the bodyshell maybe it shouldn't surprise me. The drain channels are missing off most of the doors so the drain holes drilled in their place may have to remain.

His lack of pace is only balanced by the fact I can't take the car back before July anyhow on account of the storm damaged shed situation.
    I'll leave it another month and go again. He did say he'd start the bodyshell "next week". To top it off, I took my camera and it shut down on the first photo I went to take due to flat battery so I only have a few photos on my phone. When I get back to work next week, I'll download them and post a couple up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_1083.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_1084.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_1080.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_1081.jpg  
    Last edited by renault8&10; 2nd April 2016 at 10:29 PM.
    KB

Doing a trial fit of the new rear brake kit I got and reassembling the gearbox ready for when the shell comes back from the panelbeaters.
    R16 discs and Fiat calipers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2820.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2823.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2831.jpg  
    59 Floride, J-man and JohnW like this.
    KB

Those brakes should be adequate. Neat fitting.

How's the body going?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

How's the body going?

Cheers
    Putting on a little pudding last time I saw him..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

How's the body going?

Cheers
    Elle and I have agreed on a break to see other people for a while. In my case, my wife Roz.
    J-man and JohnW like this.
    KB

It's a miserable wet night in Sydney tonight, so I thought I would have a play with the new plating kit setup I got last xmas. Since the garage drama, I haven't had anywhere to set it back up until now. I bench was constructed over the compressor and most of the kit resides there. This was my first chance to try one of the plating techniques that use the power supply and current. Up until I've done electroless nickel. Tonight I gave the cobalt nickel kit a run.

I think my current may have been too high as the pieces have tiny lumps of coating on them. I also put very little effort into pre-cleaning and polishing prior to plating. Not unhappy with the results for a first play. This one also uses a high temp (50-60C) so evaporation of the plating chemical is also fairly high. Copper and Zinc use ambient I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2833.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2834.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2836.jpg  
    59 Floride and JohnW like this.
    KB

Looks like a good start. Can you redissolve that metal and replate with the kit you have?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

No John, I don't believe so.
    The plating solution can be decanted back into the drum and reused but not the metal itself. I think there is a way of reversing some plating using a reverse current but I've not looked into that.

The anodes need to be rinsed and reused.
    The second batch of washers came out much better. I'm currently working on the third batch.

They are shock absorber washers in case anyone didn't recognise them so they'll be largely out of sight.
    KB

Thanks Kevin,

I guess it would be easy enough to reverse, i.e. dissolve, but you end up with impurities dissolved too, like copper, and I imagine your solution would be quite pure and you'd want to keep it that way.. Nasty stuff too, quite toxic I imagine.

Chromed shocker washers indeed. That's quite flash! I'm off to Bathurst the week after next FYI.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I'm going up for the Saturday afternoon and evening only so I'll see you guys there.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'm going up for the Saturday afternoon and evening only so I'll see you guys there.
    BYO Renault..?

Yes, not sure which one yet. Probably the R8.
    59 Floride and JohnW like this.
    KB

Frank Wicks is picking me up from the airport (Sydney) on Thursday morning, so see you there!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Put one side of the brakes together this afternoon.
    Then realised a few nuts and bits hadn't been through the cleaning up and plating works, so did another batch of Nickel coating:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2837.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2838.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2842.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2843.jpg  
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Kevin, are you getting the welds on the brake mounts crack tested? I was told it would probably be required if not recommended, it may vary from engineer to engineer.

Or are yours not welded onto the original back plate?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hadn't thought of it. I'll have to see how I go.
    They are two plates welded with a spacer tube where each calliper bolt goes through. They are not part of the original backing plate I think but fabricated separately. They bolt to the axle tube. I might try the homogated brakes on an A110 route that COL mentioned since they use the R16 discs and caliper mount.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Further to my comment, VSB14, NCOP5, 2.2.3 states:
    Caliper brackets must be mounted using all of the original disc brake caliper bracket mountingpoints or at least three of the original drum brake backing plate mounting points.

My interpretation of this is that we will need to use all the bolt holes that held the original backing plates on to be street legal in NSW, so the half bracket design may not fly unless it was used on a production car that was legal here. Was it used on an Alpine?

It may be easier to remanufacture the part that the tie bar attaches to as well so the bracket can be made a one piece. A rose joint instead of the hexagon washer would take care of not getting the angle of the bend spot on and give better adjustability. The welded part of the tie bar may require crack testing.

If so a reference would be nice. We also need a reference for the drilling of the additional holes in the rear hubs as the rules state that you can't do it.

COL

What Kevin has done is basically what the factory did to the Alpine A110.

All the parts are in the Alpine Parts Manual.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Can you scan the page COL?

c.lees - technically, it does use the original holes to mount the caliper bracket. Which one is the caliper bracket? If it said mount the caliper I'd be screwed.
    I know what you mean, but it will come down to interpretation. As for redrilling the plates on the hub, he was ok with that provided the discs aren't redrilled. They will need to be in the front of course. I'm assuming the back has as well otherwise why redrill them. I will take the car to him when it is closer to being finished when we formally start the certification process but before it is completed.

If I stay with carbies, I would probably fall into LA1 as it is not seen as much of a performance enhancement as what you are planning.

It is a grey area for sure. At this stage I can only press on.
    KB

COL

Default Alpine A110 Gros Frein

Hi Kevin

Here are four pages from PR992 Parts Manual that I have.

They show the caliper brackets for the front and rear and also the extra holes that are drilled in the hub and R16 brake rotors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-pr992-42.10.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-pr992-42.55.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-pr992-43.20.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-pr992-43.35.jpg  
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Perfect, thanks COL.
    As you say, that is exactly what I have on the rear.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

If drilling the disk is a no no how are you doing the front? 4 holes?

On the rear are the r16 disks normally clearanced for the wheel studs, or do they not interfere? I've seen big brake kits with clearanced disks.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    If drilling the disk is a no no how are you doing the front? 4 holes?

On the rear are the r16 disks normally clearanced for the wheel studs, or do they not interfere? I've seen big brake kits with clearanced disks.

When using the R16 rotors you still need to align scallops so they line up with the wheel studs. There is also a locating ring which is used to make sure the rotor is aligned central to the hub. This is the same for both front and rear.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

In 2013 the RMS had me drill my discs as they weren't 100% happy that I had floating discs on an ICV I was registering.

They wanted the discs to be firmly mounted to the hub and the only way to do it was drill through the disc and hub and use 6 hi-tensile bolts to hold it all together.

The car had passed all its brake tests with the discs floating but this was a belts and braces solution.

If I wanted the car registered I had to drill and bolt the discs.

Rules are all about interpretation.

Page 3 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information