How exciting! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one
    My neck is starting to come good again after post #22

Advertisement
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    How exciting! Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one
    My neck is starting to come good again after post #22
    Yeah I agree J-Man, I looked a bit silly doing a hand-stand on my desk at work but it was worth it!!
    J-man likes this.
    Current Frogs:

1970 Renault 10S (Sunburst)
    1968 Renault 10S Replica (Alpine White)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Thanks Kevin. They look so good.

The grill might be the issue I suppose, on the rear lid. Just a detail but maybe an expensive detail.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

mmm, they're able to do the "grill" on the bonnet though no problems.
    I'm still to decide if I drill and cut out the slots on that, or leave it blanked off - thoughts?
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    mmm, they're able to do the "grill" on the bonnet though no problems.
    I'm still to decide if I drill and cut out the slots on that, or leave it blanked off - thoughts?
    You will need the slots opened up for correct airflow to the heater/demister and vents to avoid a foggy windscreen. Best option is a Dremel and some careful hand sanding and filing.

I agree, can’t understand why they don’t do a rear lid. It’s more important to get weight off the rear than the front if you are after improved handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    You will need the slots opened up for correct airflow to the heater/demister and vents to avoid a foggy windscreen. Best option is a Dremel and some careful hand sanding and filing.

I agree, can’t understand why they don’t do a rear lid. It’s more important to get weight off the rear than the front if you are after improved handling.
    Yes, I'd definitely open the vents on the bonnet. You might consider whether you want to make a hole and put neat but coarse mesh over the hole rather than trying to reproduce the slotting though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Small bit of progress to report.
    I've rebuilt the front upper and lower control arms with new bushes, and this afternoon started tackling the dreaded task of cutting those bonnet vent slots. Not finished yet, but coming along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2450.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2451.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2455.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2456.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-img_0725.jpg  
    J-man and 59 Floride like this.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kev, if you are still having problems sourcing or repairing the rusted panel, I have a contact who can fabricate the necessary replacement sections. He is highly skilled, able to form a sheet of Aluminium into a Ferrari body panel complete with complicated compound curves etc. He also does one off mild steel sections such as the ones you are after. He now teaches some of those skills at TAFE. If you are interested, send me a pm.
    J-man likes this.

KB, you need to pinch the blue strip around your nose for a better fit, they'll seal better that way.

Hi guys.
    Currently away at the 4cv muster in Forbes.
    Chris, I'll chase up a fellow after Easter but if I can't get him or if he falls through, I'll get in contact with you.

Cheers
    Kevin
    KB

Fellow Frogger! Gordini Pervert's Avatar

Small bit of progress to report.
    I've rebuilt the front upper and lower control arms with new bushes, and this afternoon started tackling the dreaded task of cutting those bonnet vent slots. Not finished yet, but coming along.
    Sorry for my ignorance - what are you doing to the slots? And may I also ask where you bought the suspension bits from?

It's a fibreglass bonnet that doesn't have the slots cut, so I've had to drill and Dremel them out.
    The control arms I had bead blasted and painted myself, the bushes etc came from Mecaparts.

I'm halfway through pressing the bushes in. I've done the lowers, just have the uppers to finish. And of course, the rest of the restoration.
    KB

Fellow Frogger! Gordini Pervert's Avatar

It's a fibreglass bonnet that doesn't have the slots cut, so I've had to drill and Dremel them out.
    The control arms I had bead blasted and painted myself, the bushes etc came from Mecaparts.

I'm halfway through pressing the bushes in. I've done the lowers, just have the uppers to finish. And of course, the rest of the restoration.
    thanks mate! Looks the goods well done.

RE Bushes - didnt go for DIY nolathane?

I'm ashamed to say that this has had so few updates this year that it dropped off the site.
    Unfortunately the panelbeater/spray painter that I'd been waiting on since Easter dropped out so I was forced to start from scratch trying to locate someone to assist on the body repairs. Consequently the shell sat in bare metal with a phosphine coat for far longer than I would have liked. This caused me to lose a bit of motivation to get on with the other bits and pieces.

I eventually found a panelbeater and I'm due to ring him on the 4th to sort out when the shell is to go off to him. He will only do it to primer for the budget I've allowed, so I will still have to work out getting it painted. I also hope to start the gearbox freshen up in the new year, so it looks like there will be multiple streams happening - the shell, the gearbox, the fibreglass panels and the nickel or zinc plating of parts using my new kit all happening with a bang in the new year. Consequently, the motivation to get going again is up at present so hopefully a bit of progress will keep the spirits high.

I also built a small trolley for the body shell which will help lift it up to attach/detach from the rotisserie over Christmas which I will post some photos of as an update to this post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2533.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2534.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2535.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2552.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2553.jpg   Gawd, another R8 upgrade-dscn2554.jpg  

Last edited by renault8&10; 1st January 2016 at 11:17 AM.
    KB

Any progress is progress.... Your welding skills definitely trump mine!!

Happy New Year - always shout if you are missing something I might have for the R8 too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Found a fundamental design flaw in my design. The cross members on the R8 have a hump in the middle that hangs down lower than the outside so it "rocks" on the centre bit unnervingly. I'm halfway through making some 5mm plates to weld two on each corner to pack it up so it sits level.

I also made 4 plates that have a long bolt through it with a spacer that I can use as a retaining bracket to ensure the shell doesn't bounce off the trolley when wheeling it around.
    KB

Well my two plate theory wasn't high enough so I had to cut some 20mm SHS about 70mm long and weld a piece on each side at the front. I'll try it just with the SHS on the front only and see how it goes.

When I threw some old offcuts in there before pulling it out to weld, it seems to level it out nicely so we'll see how it goes. Then discovered I'd run out of teal blue spray cans, so off to the junk shop for a couple of cans - had to economise with only two as they'd gone up to $4 each!
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

Some good news today!
    I was supposed to ring the panelbeater yesterday to discuss a start date but couldn't get hold of him. When he rang me back it was during the RCCA meeting and I missed the call - I am seriously impressed at how he ALWAYS returns calls!

Spoke to him today and weather dependent, I'm dropping off the shell to commence next Tues or Wed. I've already lined up a couple of AF'r friends to help man handle the shell onto the trailer. So, the next phase begins!
    JohnW and J-man like this.
    KB

KB
    As much as I like your trestle trolley for moving on, I feel it is a bit heavy and difficult to work under the car.

Bolt on frames and 2 channel ramps, and I load it myself. Mainly as there are fewer AF friends this side of the island. They can fit all rear engined cars, with small mods even worked on the R5 mid engine.

Gawd, another R8 upgrade-blue-g-back-paint-3-sml.jpgGawd, another R8 upgrade-8g-blast-2-sml.jpgGawd, another R8 upgrade-a110-paint-2-sml.jpg

Ray
    COL likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Nice Ray. I gather it uses the rear cross member bolt holes at the back. Where does it bolt at the front?

Also, is that reinforcing on the R8G shell at the rear shock tower position std on Gordini's?
    I know R8's often split or get damaged there.
    KB

COL

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    KB
    As much as I like your trestle trolley for moving on, I feel it is a bit heavy and difficult to work under the car.

Bolt on frames and 2 channel ramps, and I load it myself. Mainly as there are fewer AF friends this side of the island. They can fit all rear engined cars, with small mods even worked on the R5 mid engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue G Back from Paint 3 sml.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	79211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8G to Blast 2 sml.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	79212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A110 to Paint 2 sml.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	79213

Ray
    Nice idea there Ray.

Do you have pics of the frames on their own?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

KB, front mounts to front suspension holes on subframe, or like on the Dauph at present with an extension to the front bumper mount positions, as the front crossmember is in process of "repair" to R10. There are 3 main reinforcings on the R8G. The rear crossmember mounts area, front and rear of the front suspension area and bottom of the A pillar just under the bonnet. You need a parts book page to see them all.

Col, I have no pictures of the frames out of the car, as there was only short time between R8G and A110. What I will do is sketch them up with dimensions and post them with more pictures. I have used the idea for a long time, but these were made just recently when I opened my workshop for customer projects. And my Dauph project.
    Ray geckoeng

Ray, the other advantage of yours over mine is that yours supports the shell front and back whereas mine tends to balance it across the two centre cross members under the car which are fairly narrowly spaced apart - I was concerned about that hence the additional plates to "lock" the shell onto the trolley. I also considered using a tiedown through the front cross member hole as a secondary security measure.

The disadvantage of yours however is that you can't install the rear cross member or presumably front control arms etc without removing it off your trolley somehow. Although if it was the full transmission on mine it would probably over balance also. Do you have another stand or similar for that reassembly stage?

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    I have used the idea for a long time, but these were made just recently when I opened my workshop for customer projects. And my Dauph project.
    Sorry to hijack KB, but Ray, do you have photos of the Dauph project for us to drool over? In another thread of course, like the Dauph thread
    cheers,

John

Revival of an older Thread,
    Sorry it has taken so long to complete the task.
    The A110 came back from paint today and I was able to get under and take measurements.

The wheels are Bunnings, and that size to take the load in partial rebuild.

Any questions, just ask !!!

Gawd, another R8 upgrade-renault-trans-trolleys.jpgGawd, another R8 upgrade-paint-2.jpgGawd, another R8 upgrade-paint-3.jpg
    COL likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Thread Information