The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm) - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 12 First 123456 ... Last
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)

1000+ Posts

Here it starts, nice clean engine in bits to reassemble. Today's efforts until I realised we had two sets of big end bearings and no mains.

Oh well,
    Pistons with rings, thanks to Jeff etal on the Vauxhall links, they fit very well next o no ring gap once in.
    GTI6 calipers coming this week, lets see who gets there first Graham or Jeff?

Thanks to all who have helped so far,

Advertisement

The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-engine-start-assembly.jpgThe pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-welch-plugs.jpg
    Demannu, jo proffi and frog like this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

1000+ Posts

Today's efforts afer getting the right bearings, 1.5 to 2.5 thou clearance on the main journals, big ends very tight too perhaps 1 to 1.5 thou, this will ease with time. Had to use a J4R crank as mine was at the limit of clearance around 1 and 5, 3 was at 1.5 thou but the ends have worn.
    The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-crank-forgot-squirters.jpg

Now what? fit the pistons of course, new big end bearings.
    The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-crank-now-pistons.jpg
    The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-botton-end-finished.jpg

Finished on the botton time to close it up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Botton end finished.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	67733

Trebond red and sump on now the head, new gasket fit the two dowels and away we go, oil on the bolts, 35nm 70 nm plus 160 degrees that is a bit of hard work, you can feel the bolts stretching.

Head on looking good, storm on its way so time to shut shop, have lunch and fiddle with some other things to mount to block, only to take them off again when I paint it.
    The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-head-.jpg

Fit the water pump and that's it for today.
    The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-end-view.jpg

Fit my old XU9 engine mount, shift a dowel, FU magic. Looks like Chez will get on the road before me. I am looking on as I am going to also trick up a J4R as a bolt in change for this J4RS lump.
    Last edited by Matthew; 21st March 2015 at 06:12 PM.
    Kenfuego and Demannu like this.

What year is this engine? I've had numerous RS engines apart all the way from '97 to '04, Gti6 and VTS, and I've never seen those cam gears. The number 1 main cap casting is different too.

Those Opel rings have much better oil control rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Yes he has, I will not advise what some of my other skills are, needless to say they make a big mess.

Any way progress today in the milk crates of bits I found the lower engine mounr, alternator and wonderfully the starter. Its an S1 205 GTI so the question is now will it fit a BE3 box from a S3 GTI?

Need new headlights due to age and fatigue, ordered. Need top mount and gearbox mount as well as a new fitting to the lower mount.

Rear beam being reconditioned. Car is clean inside and still smells the same just need to celan out smashed glass from rear window and have it rettinted the same as the rest..

Bonnet and roof need a respray to be the same as other panels.

Worst thing is the prick broke the red reflector on the back which is impossible to replace now days.

This will start in enrnest within the next few weeks, just need to decide whether to get aftermarket pistines, bore it out to 86.5 and trick it up and run E85.
    Hi Mathew,

Sorry to hear about the nightmare I feel for you.

I've got a red rear reflector for the boot panel that your welcome to have, its got a couple of scuffs/a bit dull but no cracks.
    Would probably polish up good!

If you want it give me a call 0488 627997

Good luck with the project

Nick
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Bluey, not sure what year it is but its an older one so I would guess 97/98. Not sure why its different but its an RFS block as given by the stamping on it. Good to hear about the rings, glad something is going my way

Nick, great to chat and as discussed I wilol arrange for pick up, good to have it if I cannot get mine fixed.

thanks to all who have assisted,

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew; 23rd March 2015 at 10:04 PM.

1000+ Posts

Struts overhauled, waiting on drive shafts, amusing myself making things threads do not show but its an oil pressure adapter, GTI6 only has switch and I want pressure too.

The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-oil-pressure-adapter.png

As i said before. Use an S16 one. They go straight on.

1000+ Posts

Will try Cam, finding parts and a sociable and patient car parts place is hard, need bits for the doors where the magic maggot stole inserts, god help me with the dash the cluster is sitting loose and I have not gone in there. Your knowledge set is at least two cars ahead of mine!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Will try Cam, finding parts and a sociable and patient car parts place is hard, need bits for the doors where the magic maggot stole inserts, god help me with the dash the cluster is sitting loose and I have not gone in there. Your knowledge set is at least two cars ahead of mine!
    G'day,
    if you are not careful, you could end up with a really cool custom.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?
    "Well, you got to die sometime. You may as well be doing something you enjoy when you're doing it, right?"

1000+ Posts

Progress to date, engine almost ready and car being prepared, power steering in and cooling pipe about to be fitted.

Here is some bling, intended to cut down heat into firewall and then into cabin.

The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-engine.jpg
    lozenge, parry and BIGRR like this.

Pure art!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

1000+ Posts

Not quite Mark, your coil holder inspired me, the extractors are just 200 odd to get done, I want something like your to hold the LS2 coils. Ths is nothing on Bluey and Cam / Pats car, I wish!
    Last edited by Matthew; 10th August 2015 at 06:48 AM.

1000+ Posts

One step closer today, put in a battery checked for shorts and powered the car up, most things worked, headlights and front electrics did not most likely because of earth return missing, hence my other post. I hope there is a contract out on that mongrel who stole these things.

Good news, rear lights OK, radio working, wipers, clock, no front lights at all.

Dash is intact mainly boy they are getting brittle, 4 monthe in the sun certainly did the paintwork any favours. (ony S1 with intact upper dash in the whole wide world?

Engine will be going in soon and I will sort out the wiring at that point. Lots of googling to find the wiring diagrams etc.

Joy oh joy.

Update, fitted earth blocks and connected up connectrs, all front lights working

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew; 6th March 2016 at 11:11 PM.
    Dano and Kenfuego like this.

1000+ Posts

My worst fears ar now confirmed that f'ing f'wit magic has smashed the dash to pieces, why?

It was to pinch the main loom connectors and whatever they connect to, because they are not there and he has obviously been right through the dash, bits broken between steering wheel covers and intrumentation over towards the fuse panel, broken behind the middle push switches.

Out with the JB weld now to put it right. Time to get an SLR?

Matthew, you really deserve to have a nice car at the end of all this.

1000+ Posts

Thanks mate, it was a really nice one before he worked it over, in fact he commented it would have been the best S1 in Oz, not anymore.

Having fun with JB weld, quite impressed so far. Will have to remove dash, damage everywhere. At least it can be boged up and hidden away good opportunity to reinforce it and fit anti squeek stuff! It will end up better than before too.

What a way to spend your weekend.

1000+ Posts

Now I know why the dash is in such poor condition, he has stolen mine and replaced it with this crappy one.

I know this because my glove box repairs with PVC are no where to be seen, this was something unique about my dash, I am sure it now adorns his sons car.

Another theft by magic, another police report.

1000+ Posts

Impressed with your determination to get this car back into some semblance of what it meant to you before this saga began, hopefully justice will prevail or that karma weaves its own strange ways to right wrongs, and good to see a good example to others, to beat the [email protected] of the world.

Keep us update and nice to see other froggers rallying around you, those that have helped can be justly proud of the car and your determination to fix it.

Ken
    Australdi likes this.

1000+ Posts

Thanks to you and all, lots of JB weld the only issue is its fragility now, look at it the wrong way it breaks again sort of stuff.

I suspect I will go down a carbon fibre / glassed dash to strengthen it. On issue is I have to take it out to fix every thing the prick broke in doing this. To make matters worst I have a grey dash with a black bottom half. He is lucky the won't let him back.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default This afternoons efforts!

[The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-engine205gti.jpg

A few hours this afternoon and see what happened?
    FIVEDOOR, Kenfuego and Demannu like this.

1000+ Posts

Default Back on its feet

New shafts, a good clean down below, oil and nulon into gearbox, inlet on and still on its original springs and shocks which seem to be fine, looking better but the dreaded clearance issue still hits with the j4r inlet which I hoped to avoid. The j4rs would be a nightmare but I will have it cut down to fit.

Pictures to follow.
    CEyssens and FedGrapes like this.

1000+ Posts

Today, dash out to fix up the f" up magic did to it, that gutless thief / piece of turd is lurking around, he is visiting the 205 driver site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83870[/ATTACH

Lots of gluing to do, gave access to the wiring, out with the jettronic loom and test the instruments then onto patching the 6 into the old wiring, oxidising by the day by the looks of it now.

The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-imag0585.jpg

Fun and thanks to Scotty who came and instructed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-imag0584.jpg  
    Dano likes this.

Nice going! I'm interested to see your dash repairs, would you be OK to post some photos as you go along?
    cheers Craig

1000+ Posts

The pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-imag0587.jpgThe pheonix rises (post the thief mmmm)-imag0586.jpg

Sure, here are the first couple, see the broken bit from his crappy replacement. JB weld, autobarn its good stuff.

I rather like the silky oak!

Why have the other forums not excluded Magic?

Page 2 of 12 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information