1951 Citroen 11BL
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 1951 Citroen 11BL

I post the following information for people the might be interested in the restoration of my 1951 Citroen BL. This is a Paris built right hand drive car which in so many was makes for an easier restoration.

I have had this car for 35 years, purchased to restore, started back then but put on the back burner. Over the last 10 years Iíve worked on restoring the peripheral things. The seats have been re-covered, grille, bonnet, wheel cover are finished, road wheels, all the switches and controls, wiper mechanisms, windscreen finished and both the front and rear ends rebuilt.

The biggest leap forward was mounting the body on a rotisserie. There is very little rust in the body but having it mounted allows me to clean and rustproof underneath, replace brake and fuel lines. Access to the inside of the body is so easy and at a good working height.

Advertisement

By way of explanation, what is black and yellow I bought and what is green I built. As is obvious, it makes working on the body so easy as I can move it around and roll it over by myself. From the point of view of mounting I managed to do this and only drilled two holes in the body.

1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf4552.jpg1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf4553.jpg1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf4554.jpg1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf4555.jpg1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf1682.jpg1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf3744.jpg

Looking Good Allen.
    I hope that mine comes up as well. Did you buy the pre-sewn covers from CTA? Also what did you do about the seat springs?
    All of my mechanicals are done including shafts front end and steering rack. My body shell is at the same stage as yours and I have yet to tackle the seats!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Yes Gerry, the seat covers are from CTA. The springs on the drivers cushion were beyond it so I took that to the local upholsterer and got him to rebuild it in the right foam. It seems OK but I wont really know until it's in the car. I hope that the new silent blocks in both the front and rear will make a worthwhile difference.
    Cheers Allen.

CTA also supply replacement seat spring sets. I think this is the way that I will eventually proceed. I have had cloth for the door cards and A B and C pillars for a very long time. The only worry about the Seat sets (which look fabulous) will be the colour match. The cloth I purchased was commissioned by the TAN club before CTA came into existence. I had made all of the fibre board components to mount this trim onto a long time ago.
    It will be very interesting to compare restorations as we both proceed. The aim for me is to get the car into colour by the end of this coming summer.
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

I've got some spare headlights and spare wheel covers if anyone's interested.
    There is also some other stuff that I can't identify.
    I put this offer out about 12m ago, and some restorers have been and taken what they've needed.
    It's all FREE, but if I have to freight it, you'll have to pay!

1000+ Posts

Oh, and hub caps. Lots of hub caps.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Oh, and hub caps. Lots of hub caps.
    I could be interested in a set of 11BL hubcaps. How good are they?

Allen did the CTA seat covers come with the front squab flap that covers the seat frame from view when the door is open?
    There should be one on both front squabs facing each front door!
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Pretty shitty, but I'd pick the best ones for you. 4, 5, or 6??
    Sorry, not computer literate enough to post photos.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, they have a flap on the outside of the seat, just a single thickness of material. It may yet need some backing stuck on to it ? This photo shows the original seat and it would seem that the flap was held on with press studs. The condition of the car would suggest that nothing had been done to it. It went off the road in 1978.
    Allen.

1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf0008.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Pretty shitty, but I'd pick the best ones for you. 4, 5, or 6??
    Sorry, not computer literate enough to post photos.
    Hi, A set of four would be excellent!
    I'll PM you some details.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    Yes, they have a flap on the outside of the seat, just a single thickness of material. It may yet need some backing stuck on to it ? This photo shows the original seat and it would seem that the flap was held on with press studs. The condition of the car would suggest that nothing had been done to it. It went off the road in 1978.
    Allen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	61555

That seat looks more like the ones I have in mine! ----Patina-----?????? Ha Ha!
    The flap of which I speak is not on the back rest but on the seat cushion.
    It hangs down over the exposed seat frame. That angle does not show it!
    The original is reinforced with a sheet of thin rubber as a backing!
    1951 Citroen 11BL-dsc_0099.jpg
    As you can see that flap on this one ( a passenger side cushion ) is pretty moth eaten!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

G'day Gerry, That picture was all I had of the original seat and it shows the press studs on the side where it appears the flap might have been attached. The flap on the side of the CTA supplied covers is not as large as the one on your old seat but I feel it will still do the job. I've found a photo that just shows the front edge of the flap, from that you can get an idea of the size.
    Allen.

1951 Citroen 11BL-dscf1680.jpg

Allen, that is great. It shows the flap clearly. Thank you. The catalogue on the CTA site did not give me a clear indication. You have solved one of my dilemmas. I will probably purchase the necessary seat spring set and covers in the new year. At the moment I am having new leather faces made for my Light15. This of course is absorbing my resources at the moment!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information