1986 Fuego Turbo NZ
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frans

Thread: 1986 Fuego Turbo NZ

Default 1986 Fuego Turbo NZ

So a quick summary of this project so far.

I bought this car back in mid December 2011 (that is depressing). It has been off the road since about September 2012 now (very depressing, and very surprising looking back at my old build threads on other forums suck)

It was sold new in Nelson NZ, then it had three owners in three years, then to Christchurch, went through to families there. Then a guy in Palmerston north bought it, replaced all the suspension bushes etc in it and over cut and polished the paint. (evidenced by the rusty rub through marks). Then it was sold to the guy who i bought the car off. He hardly drove it and never really used the turbo. Did about 5000 miles in it in about 5 or 7 years.

Me and Dad traveled from Auckland to palmy, picked the car up for $955, and drove back to Auckland. Car went good but I was taking it easy as it really needed to be run in again.

Did an oil change soon afterward, flushed cooling system etc. Polished it so it was actually shiny again.

Replaced left tail light with non faded one, removed wooden gear knob and put standard one back on (real mission thanks to a ton of glue), swapped the locations of boost gauge and clock so I could see boost gauge while driving, cleaned engine bay, new filters, new rear pads

Enjoyed it, daily'd it. Was so much Awesome.

I then did some more work. Out of necessity. I had to replace head gasket as that blew one day. Also not long before that I had to replace CV as that got busted too, after a long while of sticking when reversing.

So I got head gasket done and I enjoyed it a whole heap more. Then on a weekend away (a about 4 months later) with Fast Frogs in NZ, the cylinder liner seal/s went on it. Kept it going for the weekend and back home and then had to park it up as it was just way too bad and way to much mayo.

So I have then pulled out engine, went to paint engine bay, but as I was working on my own, I lost enthusiasm and time, so engine bay is stripped of most parts, I have started to sand and prime engine bay ready for paint. Hopefully finish the priming on Saturday. Engine is in garden shed with its head off and sump off.

Bearings looked ok, but need replacing obviously. Crank looks ok so far, but need to remove for inspections, likewise for rods. Pistons are not bad, but I do want new ones for I have plans for this. I want a small amount of head work done, more boost properly this time from a Steve Murch Built turbo, new fuel pump and things to tidy up. Will get a custom clutch made using the old parts, lighten the flywheel, new slotted rotors for front brakes from I think EBC, I also want some compomotive wheels for it too, in about a 15" size. Little bit of low (still has to be practical), reverse rear roll bar, double front bar, new front seats with better bolstering.

Other notes include that we still have my dads old Fuego turbo that succumbed to rust and engine problems at twice the km's of mine. Still lots of good parts on that so it is helpful. Mine is mostly rust free, just left A pillar is starting to rust, bottom of doors are a bit dodgy and that the worse of it. Luckily it has been stored inside for the last couple of years.

If you have questions or want details, just let me know.

A few more piccie below. I did lose a heap of pics though when my external HD hit the floor thanks to a cat and then the repair shop lost it.

Advertisement

French
    1975 Renault 12 Wagon (project)
    1986 Fuego Turbo (motor being rebuilt + more work)

Not so French
    1972 HQ Race Car
    1989 Lada Niva (2L Fiat twin cam with EFI)

So, where does anybody have suggestions I go when looking for new pistons?
    French
    1975 Renault 12 Wagon (project)
    1986 Fuego Turbo (motor being rebuilt + more work)

Not so French
    1972 HQ Race Car
    1989 Lada Niva (2L Fiat twin cam with EFI)

Mecaparts in France have them for the R18 Turbo. Many companies can make up specials for a lot less than the Mecaparts ones.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Lincoln,
    All is well and we forgive you for not completing the car in a reasonable time but......" but as I was working on my own, I lost enthusiasm"
    is not acceptable. That is normally when the most work gets done.
    Frans
    jo proffi likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Nice looking Daimler Sports on the trailer there.
    What are the plans for that? Can't be many of those left.

Paul.

Thread Information