205 is underway.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By le frogg 205
  • 1 Post By lozenge

Thread: 205 is underway.

Default 205 is underway.

ok so ive been coming up with reasons not to pull my 205 apart and recent events have finally changed my decision. my clutch cable has snapped for the second time and the front seat bracket has snapped. my plans were to put in the new clutch cable and put in the SI seats i have laying around but....

sadly the previous owner went to great trouble to ruin the car and has butchered the oem mounts and retro fitted these lame but supportive and clearly way to big celica seats. and to do so the guy cut the face of the rear rail mount and welded them in about and inch away from factory. and above that the front right mount on the drivers side is almost un recognizable.

i have a friend that is a fabricator so hopefully he can help me to restore it to its oem set up.

ohh and they cut the carpet too! so i dont know if i should replace or leave it for the time being. all depends on whats available?

i am going to give it a good old scrub and power wash at the car wash to see of it come up okay. 30 years of gunk makes red carpet look a little tatty.

thats pretty much it interior wise other than some plastics that are shattered.

Advertisement

as for the out side i would like to put all of the exterior trims and make a perfect set. i have a few spare sets here but but have no clue how to remove the set on the car? can someone give me some pointers.

i am also converting the front guards to euro spec with no side markers. (welded up)

thats pretty much it other than some dents and gouges to be repaired here and there.

i will post up some photo's this arvo as i know you guys love some visual aid/therapy.

cheers.
    lozenge likes this.

yup, nuff of de big wordz, givvus sum pix!
    BIGRR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by le frogg 205 View Post
    as for the out side i would like to put all of the exterior trims and make a perfect set. i have a few spare sets here but but have no clue how to remove the set on the car? can someone give me some pointers.
    To remove the side mouldings you have to slide the red trims off sideways to reveal the clips underneath that hold the mouldings on. Those clips can then be slid sideways to release the plastic mouldings. The mouldings are also held on by a second, hidden set of clips. To release these you need to slide the mouldings down, off those clips.

You can work out which way to slide the red trims by looking at their ends - one end will be turned over and the other end will be open. You need to gently pull the folded over end out so it is proud of the moulding and then slide it to the side. The exception to this is the little trim behind the front arches. I can't ever slide that to the side without bending it. Others may have some trick, but I wonder if it might be better to just pull that part of the moulding off with brute force and break the clip (which you can still buy new) rather than bend the red trim (which is getting very expensive and hard to find!).

You won't be able to release the clips on the back of the wheel arch trims so you just have to use controlled force to pull these off.

Make sure you've got some replacement clips handy for the wheel arch trims as they can't always be reused.

If anyone's got some more elegant ways of doing this I'd be keen to hear!

ok so the side moldings are off. the arches aren't very cooperative ahah, one of the rears has a chunk missing from it that i didnt see even owning the car for 3 years. whats the trick for the GTI and 1.9 logo? the clips came off no worrys and only one was rusted. tomorrow the guards come off.. no idea how to get the glue to let go. the bumpers will also come off along with the little things like mirrors,wing,rear wiper, lights ect.. very simple cars i love it. sorry no pics tonight as i washed my iPhone in my pants.. also tore the front bar off the 406 today so not a tops day.

Does all of this really have to come off? The side mouldings are pretty easy to remove and it is so much easier to re-colour them and polish the red trims etc if those mouldings are removed. However, if all you want to do is apply some Plasticare or similar to restore the appearance, why do the rear louvre and badges have to come off? Similarly with mirrors etc - if you are not respraying the car and they aren't broken, is there any need for these to come off?

i am respraying the car and overhauling the plastics. it has a large gash up the side starting at the guard and ending at the rear quarter it also has a large dent in the sill from god knows what. also the bonnet on it is half red half primer so that will get sprayed too. the car is getting a minor resto. pics tomorrow.

ive treid plasticare and i works for about 6 months. so im going to mix a colour as close to the real colour of the plastics and paint them. not matte black because its way too dark. i was also contemplating painting them graphite grey with a clear coat. but im not sure if it would looks too shiny.

205 is underway.-001.jpg205 is underway.-009.jpg205 is underway.-008.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	61372205 is underway.-005.jpg205 is underway.-004.jpg205 is underway.-003.jpg

so this is what 2 days of pottering along gets you im currently waiting for some filler to dry so i thought id post some pics

205 is underway.-img_0056.jpgthe carpet after a good scrub and vaccume

you're brave, 205 plastics have a life of their own. best wishes with it all.
    are you painting it the same colour?

yep its going the same topaz blue as it came with in 89. its a rare colour dont want to ruin the car, no matter how much i want a black 205. the plastics are temperamental especially when the car was a daily to go to college everyday. nearly every month something would break so ive decided its time to retire the old girl and pamper her a little bit.

I think 205 dashboard plastics are a waste of time and space continuum. Not worth it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

they are the stpidest things ever but the car looks like crap with broken a missing plastics.

its amazing how many dents you can find when you look for them...

UPDATE.

body work is continuing with a rear wiper delete ,water sprayer delete, hatch lock delete and side marker delete. she will be looking quite smooth in the end. so maybe my ideas of a stock rebuild is fading. only tasteful modifications here no over the top body kits and candy paints on this one.

Tadpole

Hi mate,
    your resto seems well underway. I take it you're looking to get your seats up to scratch at some point. I have spent the large part of this year finding new manufacturers of the materials I use, but now I've nearly finished that I'm re-starting the big push to get full covers prototyped and manufactured (ultimately). This will be in the next 2 or 3 weeks. My price list is up to date and should give you a good indication of what's going to be available and how much you'll pay.
    regards
    Dave Hickman
    T/A 205 GTi covers & trim

cheers Dave i have a good feeling we will do a far bit of business ahahah. once i finish my body work if will concentrate on getting my seats A1. full covers would be awesome but very hard to manufacture i would think. maybe even a seat kit would work so all the material is pre cut ready for stitching at a local trimmer?

i got quoted for a re trim on black vinyl and the price came back as being upwards of 5 thousand dollars. so i think ill stick with re trimming to my OEM spec.

hope to hear more from you soon mate good luck with the prototypes. please keep us posted.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dch1950 View Post
    I'm re-starting the big push to get full covers prototyped and manufactured (ultimately). This will be in the next 2 or 3 weeks. My price list is up to date and should give you a good indication of what's going to be available and how much you'll pay.
    Hi Dave

Maybe we need to start a new thread for this, but I am interested in your plans for full covers - I think ready made covers are definitely the way to go - if you can get the pricing right I'm sure you'll find lots of demand.

It would be great to see some hi res photos of your covers when they are more advanced and see how well they fit. Also, why no full leather option? Will the alcantra option wear as well as leather? I'm also curious if your proposed prices include VAT. $2,000 plus freight and GST is a lot of money (my quotes for front seat retrims in full leather have been more like $1,600). If you can ship ex GST that would make it $1,600 which is not quite so bad...

Richard is the 2000 with or without new foam bolsters? i wont cut corners so ill order the full set as well.

so the 205 has progressed a little more today with the bonnet, guards and doors ready for filler primer.

things for tomorrow.

- finish the body work on the rear quarter and get ready for primer.
    -get the tailgate ready for primer.
    - scotch-bright and paste the whole car.

if all goes well it will get primered on wednesday and be ready for the paint shop by Friday.
    (not that it will make it to the paint shop for quite a while yet)

Quote Originally Posted by dch1950 View Post
    Hi mate,

I mis-read your post at first and thought you remodelled all the plastics in the 205 and were looking at tooling parts for production in a newer more durable plastic.

Fellow Frogger!

What did you fill the holes with in the panels to delete? Welded? I want to remove the passenger lock and smooth that out.

i dont have access to a welder so i fiberglassed them from the inside. i welded a set of guards for my dad when i was at school but the welder i used as too heavy duty for the wafer thin guards. all i did was take the paint back to bare metal on the inside and some masking tape on the out side and went nuts. we also did the passenger door lock on my dads 205. will post some picks when i have some.

UPDATE! so the seat mounts are done and the interior can go back in for now. instead of cutting the old mounts out and putting in new ones i had the welder bend some 3mm plate and cap the existing mount with a bolt welded on the inner face to replicate the OEM fitment.

pics coming soon...

Thread Information