Richard's 205 GTi6 project - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Richard's 205 GTi6 project

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I am seriously jealous of Richards achievements.
    I don't think I can take credit for the achievements at the moment - it's Huw doing all the work - I'm just taking delight in watching!

My car is intended to be a road car, not a racer, so to some extent I think the stitch welding of the front sub-frame falls into the category of "well, we're rebuilding everything anyway, so why not..."

Advertisement

Interestingly, Huw tells me that I may have got lucky and master cylinder clearance isn't a problem with my car - so perhaps I didn't need to get Peter T to machine down my Vibratechnics mount by 10mm. I'll discuss with Huw whether we go back to a standard mount. If anyone is doing a similar transplant and is not so lucky with MC clearance let me know and I might be able to do a deal on an unused VT mount already cut down for extra clearance!

Richard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_master_cylinder_clearance_01_public.jpgRichard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_engine_dummy_fitted_public.jpg
    Last edited by Richard W; 13th November 2015 at 11:09 AM.

Just spoke to Huw to understand how my MC clearance happened to work so well - it didn't make sense to me. Turns out he's gone straight to what I thought was going to be plan B - he's spacing the mounts to the pedal box to tilt the master cylinder up and to the side just enough to make the master cylinder fit between the cam and cam belt covers. When we've worked out the right spacings, he'll make up a wedge to those dimensions and mount the pedal box properly again using that.

Hopefully that means that, at the end of the day, we can mount the J4RS without having to have harder-than-standard engine mounts that transmit more vibration.

Default Richard's 205 GTi6 project

May be a forbidden name these days, but magic used to make a mount that allowed MC clearance and exhaust manifold fitting without the need for stiffer mounts or an exhaust wedge. Worked in mine, but no idea if these, or anything similar is still available these days...
    Last edited by SilverGTi_6; 13th November 2015 at 10:10 PM.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

If you get away with an easy MC fit, you haven't done it right!!
    BIGRR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    May be a forbidden name these days, but magic used to make a mount that allowed MC clearance and exhaust manifold fitting without the need for stiffer mounts or an exhaust wedge. Worked in mine, but no idea if these, or anything similar is still available these days...
    I've got one here. When you go around a LH corner the alternator drills a hole in the body/rail.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I never had that problem, but I think I lowered the gearbox mount slightly to match. Mustn't have been a great solution if that happens to some cars though!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Standard replacement Sasic engine mount

All standard engine mounts, standard engine height, nothing ground off the master cylinder, no cutting up the cambelt cover.

Clearance for days.

That looks great Huw! (except for the 'Sasic' badge showing.) Is the pedal box now all fully mounted on a wedge?

Now we just need a similar result for the A/C condenser....

Default Rear beam fitted

Another update this afternoon from Huw showing progress on my rear beam - a recently rebuilt 309 beam with 21mm torsion bar and 24mm ARB. This has been fitted with original s3 205 arms with new shafts, together with brakes from a 206GTI to match the 266mm 206GTI brakes that will be on the front.
    Richard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_rear_beam_fitted_01_public.jpgRichard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_beam_arm_cup_fitted_public.jpgRichard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_rear_beam_fitted_02_public.jpgRichard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_rear_brakes_fitted_02_public.jpg
    SilverGTi_6 and BIGRR like this.

Brand new 309 front arms fitted up. With all the new bushes and balljoints this thing will be as tight as the day it left the factory

15mm wider than 205 to match the wider rear beam

Started mapping out the A/C pipes (running under the gearbox). The cold side will be original but the hot side will need the lines modified to fit the (607) pump and navigate the radiator.

25mm gap between the inlet and the condenser at its closest point.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Wow!

Lucky boy Rich.

Huw your work is just art!

Cant wait to go for a spin!

Can't wait to see this on the road. Love the colour too.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous

Fellow Frogger!

That's really coming along now!

Really 'cool' that you are keeping the AC too!

1000+ Posts

I wish I could pay Huw a visit! Lovely work.

How did you achieve the gap between inlet and radiator, was this without modifying the inlet itself?
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

That's not the radiator Matthew - it's the AC condenser. If we leave the AC in place there is no room to do the normal trick of pushing the radiator forward so the next step is to get a custom shorter, radiator made to tuck under the inlet. This will be supplemented by an oil cooler.

1000+ Posts

Silly me, of course it is, just far too excited and jealous at the same time.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    That's not the radiator Matthew - it's the AC condenser. If we leave the AC in place there is no room to do the normal trick of pushing the radiator forward so the next step is to get a custom shorter, radiator made to tuck under the inlet. This will be supplemented by an oil cooler.

Would it be possible to fabricate some custom runners and replace the ones on the intake? I am thinking tighter radius to get the plenum closer to the engine. That would help with clearance. Is there any room below the intake you could make use of?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Stance

That side on shot gets me goin!

The Oil cooler finally arrived? No, that's the radiator core.

Small engine setback.

It would seem that at some point while my engine has been sitting moisture has got into cylinder #1. I'm not sure how, as I thought I had taped up the ports from pretty much the moment the engine was brought home. Maybe I need to interrogate a 4 year old who loves hosing things. Maybe I just needed to be more careful. Whatever the cause, I either need a new block or I need to rebore this one and new cylinders.

Does anyone happen to know where I can get a good J4RS block?

Or perhaps a good J4R?

Richard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_engine_damage_04_public.jpgRichard's 205 GTi6 project-rw_engine_damage_05_public.jpg

Gawd Richard, drool. You guys are legends, what a car. Cant help with the J4R but you must press on.

Ash
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thanks Ash. I think the call has been made to rebore my existing block and fit new PPM pistons that will take compression up to 11.5 to 1 and allow me to run bigger cams as well. Except, of course, contrary to what their website said when I paid for them, the pistons are not actually in stock and will need to be made for me so may take some weeks to get, and its not clear if I can get a stage 2 cam as a regrind so sourcing that is causing some delay as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Thanks Ash. I think the call has been made to rebore my existing block and fit new PPM pistons that will take compression up to 11.5 to 1 and allow me to run bigger cams as well. Except, of course, contrary to what their website said when I paid for them, the pistons are not actually in stock and will need to be made for me so may take some weeks to get, and its not clear if I can get a stage 2 cam as a regrind so sourcing that is causing some delay as well....
    Ahhh.... The joy of the project car...
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Engine is being worked on in dribs and drabs. Camshafts arrived. Head will be ready next week. PPM have pistons in transit........from Germany.

Standard on the left, Peter T's Stage 1 on the right and Stage 2 in the middle. Excited to see the Stage 2s in use after how Patpug's engine performs with the S1's.

What was going to be used were modified RS pistons to allow the use of a thinner head gasket. The piston to valve clearance, with the S1's and thinner head gasket, was on the limit of sanity and I didn't want risk it seeing as it's not an engine for myself therefore it needed a bit of idiot proofing should someone in the future change the cambelt and not time it precisely. Perfect example being a cambelt change I did on a VTS 2 weeks ago that had the inlet cam set 3 degrees retarded.

Sit by the letterbox and wait I guess......

Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information