The D nears completion...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By misterd

Thread: The D nears completion...

Default The D nears completion...

After 12 years of ownership, a two-year resto, then spending from end '07 to Feb 2014 in the garage gathering dust, the D is almost completed.
    Since a rush to get registered again (with the fantastic VIC Permit Scheme) early this year to make and appearance at Cit-In, I found my resto left much to be desired....
    After the motorkhana at Cit-in stirred up unknown rust in my "new" fuel tank, and ongoing breakdowns at Rawson (thank to all that helped me), I limped home, a little dejected, but not giving up and DETERMINED to get this car reliable and finish all the things I had not completed...

Since Easter I have completely restored all the fuel system (tank and lines) lines, rewired the car, updated the alternator, installed a retro radio, split system speakers & amp, installed air-conditioning, installed noise deadener, new wiper motor & wipers, new windscreen and resealed it plus dash and font of the roof and numerous other bits and pieces..
    I could go on...
    Oh yes, had choke and speedo cables rebuilt, one of the a/c fan motors rewound, pulled the best parts from spares to get a totally complete and working dash, pulled apart eh dash and other bits including handbrake to blast and powder coat so they are like new, replaced sealing strips on body at bottom of doors...hey there's lots more

Advertisement

All that needs to be competed now is:
    -Strip the rear doors and have repainted where original paint job has lifted.
    -Install the new front indicators and rebuild the headlight damper (parts on their way from De Franzose)

Thanks to Greenblood for advice on the radio and the fantastic faceplate.

Here's some pics...
    If you see the Yellow Beast on the road be sure to give me a wave and I will be at Nuriootpa for Cit-In next year.
    Others restoring their Ds let me know if you need some advice 'cos I've probably made more mistakes than most getting to this stage!
    Cheers,
    Rob
    The D nears completion...-photo-1.jpgThe D nears completion...-photo-2.jpgThe D nears completion...-photo-3.jpgThe D nears completion...-photo-4.jpg

Icon12

Well done Rob,
    They're a huge undertaking it must be so satisfying to be back on the road - love the colour, should be hard to miss on the road

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Looks like my D's sister!

Nice work; it's a huge undertaking! Can't wait to see some pics of you enjoying it on the road.

Toby

My congratulations too Rob. Love the colours. And thanks for the firewall heat shields, much appreciated.

SF

Just stripped the rear doors tonight (thanks Chris) so they're off to be resprayed tomorrow.
    Then to replace the fuel line into the tank 'cos I couldn't get it in far enough last time.
    Then...maybe just drive it!

drive the D!

Thread Information