• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Citroen Saxo project thread

Tadpole

Default Citroen Saxo project thread

Hi Chaps

I live in Sydney and have a road/track Saxo back in the UK. Thought id post up some background on my Citroen Saxo.

I've owned the car since 2004. It started off like this;

I then built it up to run the 1.6L 16v tu5j4 engine running approx 160-170bhp with cams and throttle bodies, with new suspension all round (Bilstein group n's), the vts rear disk beam + upgraded the brakes

And my first year on the Nurburgring back in 2007

2008 ring trip

First magazine feature

Thing didnt really change much with the car over the past 3 years, until the end of 2008 when I finished uni, went traveling and came to live in Australia. The European summer of 2009 I went back to the UK for a couple of months, stripped the car out, added Kevlar cobra Suzuka bucket seats, harnesses, changed the suspension all around to AST coilovers and upgraded the brakes again to 285mm Hi-spec 4 pots. Then did a few track days and another ring trip.

2009 Nurburgring trip

9:03 BTG lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL-0...E1vo4usf_O-saA

CF roof & cage added while I was still in Australia

Ring 2010

CF boot added;

And interior / cage painted

Ring 2011

Finally managed to go under 9min's in 2011 with a 8:55 lap - still running the 160bhp engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_b...E1vo4usf_O-saA

Second magazine feature...

Finally in 2012 I decided that to go any quicker it was time for some more power... so popped back to the UK for a few months. it spent most of the year like this while we did a full chassis restoration, including stripping the whole car down, repairing lots of rust, and repainting all of the underneath...

CF bonnet added

Sandy Brown full tu5jp4 racing engine

It wasnt ready for the ring 2012 trip so we took my little 106 which I store in my unit with the saxo in the UK.... LOL

Advertisement

2013 we added SPA digital dials

& lighter wheels to reduce the weight on the drive train. Problem being that the car now had double the standard power running through the gearbox, and the evening before the 2013 ring trip the gearbox blew up. So we went in my mates megane instead

Last edited by jpsaxo; 6th September 2014 at 12:41 PM.
    runabout and bowie like this.

Tadpole

So 2014.... a big year for the car. We needed to make it more reliable, so we upgrade the gearbox to a 2litre BE gearbox, which we put into a 1.6l casing to fit onto the engine, and matched this with larger driveshafts, new engine mounts to suit. I relied a lot on my brother, dad & friends to help me out while still in Australia

The wife and I went back to the UK over Christmas to see family, while my dad, brother and me stripped down the car

It was then taken down to Colin Satchell's in Cornwall to have major surgery. Including all new engine mounts, and there completely custom front + rear suspension kit (push rod rear suspension!)

Front suspension;

Rear suspension;

Engine mounts;

We re-fitted the engine & new gearbox (made up for 4 different gearboxes to get the correct gearing!) + new suspension all round.

And heres the results;

8:34 BTG Ring lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsr...E1vo4usf_O-saA

A funny lap chasing porsches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKL...E1vo4usf_O-saA

And another quick lap until we had to slow down for yellow flags at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aDe...E1vo4usf_O-saA

Hope you enjoyed the read.

p.s. this was all done while me living the opposite side of the world here in Sydney
    jo proffi, runabout and bowie like this.

Tadpole

Why didn't you just bring it over??? But good write up

That rear end is pretty trick would it be rude to ask how much ?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Could you imagine trying to register out here It's just not going to happen, especially with the cage in it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    It will be a long drive from Sydney to the Nurburgring! I knows there's Bathurst but having driven both Bathurst has nothing on the ring - it's still a great track don't get me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    That rear end is pretty trick would it be rude to ask how much ?
    Yeah it's a great set up, gives 1:1 damping & a lot more travel / bump on the damper so you can run the rear end softer but still have great feel and better tyre contact on the road.

From memory it's approx 800 for the kit, + dampers which I went for Nitron dampers was about another 800-900. I'm good friends with Colin Satchell (I'm assuming you guys over here have heard about his 205?) So if you guys need anything from Satchell Enginnering then let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Could you imagine trying to register out here It's just not going to happen, especially with the cage in it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thats one question I was going to ask you guys, do you think it would be possible to get it road legal over here if I decide to bring it over? And what's the best way of getting the car here?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpsaxo View Post

Thats one question I was going to ask you guys, do you think it would be possible to get it road legal over here if I decide to bring it over? And what's the best way of getting the car here?
    You would probably need to speak to an engineer. You may find the scaffolding in it will make it unsafe for road use
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My opinion is that you will have no chance of registering this car in Australia. Too many changes to a production car and definitely not with a full roll cage with attached carbon fibre roof just to start with...so as a racecar not a road car. I am sure others can advise on importing a car as a number of people on the forum have done this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    My opinion is that you will have no chance of registering this car in Australia. Too many changes to a production car and definitely not with a full roll cage with attached carbon fibre roof just to start with...so as a racecar not a road car. I am sure others can advise on importing a car as a number of people on the forum have done this.
    Ok thanks for your advice guys. If anyone else knows more please let me know

Heres more pictures of the rear set up

Last edited by jpsaxo; 10th September 2014 at 10:09 PM.
    runabout likes this.

1000+ Posts

Seriously interesting stuff, JP.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

By the way meant to add that many of us are aware of Colin and Sandy on the 205 Drvers site. Lots of us followed their latest rocketship build in awe and envy.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Seriously interesting stuff, JP.
    Cheers mate, you mean the rear suspension?

By the way meant to add that many of us are aware of Colin and Sandy on the 205 Drvers site. Lots of us followed their latest rocketship build in awe and envy.
    You mean this one Andrew?

Picture taken a few weeks ago when I was down at Satchell's.

I've sat in the car a few times and seen it's progress over the past few years

How do rally cars get registered for road use in Oz? In NZ, an engineering certificate for the mods and homologation papers for the cage (plus a few other miscellaneous docs) would be enough to allow an otherwise road-legal racecar to be driven on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsaxo View Post
    Import approval is a federal matter and if it's imported as a racecar then I think it is precluded from ever being road registered. You could certainly import it as a Citroen Saxo (by the VIN) which then potentially allows you to register it as a road car but then the modifications are a definite issue but registration is a matter for your local state transport authority. In terms of leniency, from most lenient to least lenient it goes Qld->WA/SA->NSW->Vic.

There may be a loophole whereby you import it as a roadcar and get it registered as an individually constructed vehicle which involves engineering approval, emissions testing etc, somewhat like the SVA but a lot more stringent, again a state issue but there are nationwide guidelines for individually constructed vehicles which naturally Victoria doesn't really subscribe to.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Default Citroen Saxo project thread

First paragraph = correct...second paragraph = you'd have to joking re: loophole : )

JPSaxo
    And yes that's the car in the workshop. They cleaned up many hill climb records in their class and the noise that engine makes on full song is pure theatre....

second paragraph = you'd have to joking re: loophole : )
    I can't see why not?
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Nice work and nice videos especially with the better camera.

But I have to ask, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, why? I mean you can get an endless choice of Clios that would outperform your car without any modifications over there for perhaps the same kind of money you spent on your car (not sure here you'd find all the models and in any case not as cheap). Or you could get the Focus ST (I was thinking about that as the white one zoomed past you) if you really wanted something you won't find here. Or even better, a nice choice of Meganes including the R26R (again one we didn't get here)?

And on that line, I really don't see why you'd move here. I mean, over there you have the Ring within driving distance (and many other world class tracks), endless choice of really good cars on the cheap and the likelihood that in the future you'd get even better cars that won't make it here, and so on. Things you seem to really enjoy. If I had that, I wouldn't be here.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Nice work and nice videos especially with the better camera.

But I have to ask, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way, why? I mean you can get an endless choice of Clios that would outperform your car without any modifications over there for perhaps the same kind of money you spent on your car (not sure here you'd find all the models and in any case not as cheap). Or you could get the Focus ST (I was thinking about that as the white one zoomed past you) if you really wanted something you won't find here. Or even better, a nice choice of Meganes including the R26R (again one we didn't get here)?

And on that line, I really don't see why you'd move here. I mean, over there you have the Ring within driving distance (and many other world class tracks), endless choice of really good cars on the cheap and the likelihood that in the future you'd get even better cars that won't make it here, and so on. Things you seem to really enjoy. If I had that, I wouldn't be here.
    Hi Schlitzaugen,

Certainly not taken the wrong way, thanks for asking.

To answer your question of why - this will destroy most cars you have listed above. It only weights 800kg with fuel, pushing approx 290bhp per ton.

Saxo/106 are cheaper to modify than clios and my 1.6l engine has near enough (within 5-10bhp) the same NA power as you can get from the 2litre clio engine, less torque admittedly.

R26R - thats 230bhp? so same power, again much heavier, great car in the corners but mine leaves them for dead in a straight line. I think you mean the Focus RS - the one in the video was running 500bhp so clearly had no chance there, and also that was very very well driven to give him credit.

To give you an idea my mate has a Focus RS running 350bhp and I push him along at 150+ mph, he cant get away & mine destroys his car in the corners on track days.

Why live here? - my wifes family are here, I have a JCW mini which is just about enough fun to keep me happy. Better weather, and better career opportunities + I prefer the laid back life style here

Tadpole

Quick update... 2016 we managed to knock off a decent amount of time round the ring, now down to 8:19 btg

https://youtu.be/WaY_64gB0uk
    BIGRR likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Since 2014, there have been some significant changes to the club rego system in NSW, so you may now have the option to place a car like the modified Saxo on the 90 day / year logbook scheme as a modified vehicle. I'm not really familiar with it, but do recall reading recently about changes to the system to allow for heavily modified cars that were previously ineligible. Full road rego is unlikely, but not really necessary if you can make use of the NSW club scheme. Import approval is a separate matter to registration, but is more a few hoops to jump through than an obstacle.

It's a 60 logbook, but the car still has to pass NSW engineers certificate in order to be eligible and be more than 30yrs old.
    The front hoop of the cage will need to be bolt in (and removed for rego).

You should talk to an RMS approved engineer re your individual mods to gauge if it might be eligible. You would need to be part of a partipating club to put it on CVS, but once you have an engineering cert even if it is not old enough, you could still get full NSW rego.
    KB

Fellow Frogger

Sorry, yes 60 days and 30 years for non-modified historic production vehicles in NSW, but is that also 30 years for heavily modified vehicles? Isn't there an 'M' plate now? Obviously, the youngest Saxo doesn't get there on age. It might be easier to find a local late AX with a compliance plate and mod that instead.

David, there are three schemes running in parallel in NSW - all for 30yr + vehicles:

HCRS - non modified, historics. Non logbook.
    HVS - 60 logbook version of above.
    CVS - 60 logbook for modified historic vehicles. As the Saxo is not eligible in age, it is pointless going into specifics.

As said though, if he can get an engineers certificate it is eligible for full rego. I wouldn't rule it out totally without speaking to an engineer, but equally I would investigate thoroughly before spending any money on shipping the car out.

On the flip side though, whilst ever he can continue to store and use it in the U.K and continent, he would appear to have the best of both worlds

Ps, in addition to above of course there is street rod and rally rego, equally not applicable here.
    KB

Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Fellow Frogger

Simpler to get on a plane for sure. There's no 'ring here either.

Street rod seems to need a frame constructed before 1949, so not even close to useful.

It was CVS I had been thinking of, but the 30 year requirement obviously rules it out cold.

There are some NSW rego concessions for personal imports, but it depends on the circumstances.
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...d-vehicles.pdf
    is worth looking through. It might get hung up on the kiddy seat anchorages though!

That WA car might have been imported there by a UK migrant. Rego in other states wouldn't be guaranteed just because WA allowed it. Can't be many out here though.
    Last edited by David S; 15th April 2017 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information