306 s16 Revival
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 s16 Revival

Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 s16 Revival

Hey Guys,

I'm in a bind. I've got two 306 s16's. One as a donor car - (170km). One as my daily drive (250km), which hasn't been looked after. I'm considering an extensive rebuild but I'm wondering what sort of cash do you think I'd be up for.

Here are the problems with my daily:
    - Rear beam bearings are shot -esp right one - already replaced once from donor car.
    - Slow gearbox leak, not 100% sure were from.
    - Left driveshaft needs replacing (have a new one).
    - Tie rods ordinary. Sway links ordinary.
    - Cabriolet head on standard block (old mechanic couldn't find another head!)
    - One radiator fan stopped working (and I've already replaced it with donor parts once before)
    - ABS not connected - probably won't bother.
    - Cabin fans have never worked.

I would like to rebuild engine (rebore, pistons, mounts {BakerBM?}) with some minor performance upgrades (pistons?), suspension upgrades (definitely solid rear mounts, 30mm lower springs (eibach?), new shocks?, tie-rods, sway-links etc) but want it to look stock. Body is okay, I could tidy that up.

Advertisement

It's a pretty extensive overhaul and I just don't know if it will be worth it. Maybe look at a newer car. I really love the s16 though. I'm after thoughts, and if anyone would like to help me/direct it, name your price. Is there a one-stop-shop for a bundle of parts overseas??

Fellow Frogger!

I would like to rebuild engine (rebore, pistons, mounts {BakerBM?}) with some minor performance upgrades (pistons?), suspension upgrades (definitely solid rear mounts, 30mm lower springs (eibach?), new shocks?, tie-rods, sway-links etc) but want it to look stock. Body is okay, I could tidy that up.

So at a guess - figure on $1500 - 2000 for the suspension, $4K on the rest (very basic rebuild) , plus everything else....I suggest all the work you wish for in a commercial garage is going to set you back $7 - 8k to make a reasonable s16. But sky is the limit - knock yourself out....

The question is do you love the 306 enough to spend $8k to get < $3k - 4k resell value? Thats up to the individual, how much you like the car etc.

Alternatively what can you get for $8 - 9k that might be more desired by you?
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

It's a very good question. I'll do some pricing and think about it. If I can get it under 5K I'll do it. No-one here looking to get rid of another one?

Thread Information