Mk I 205 sleeper - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Mk I 205 sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post
    OK, I'd like to track down this view that early 205s weren't 'full galved'. I've seen this mentioned before on other forums, but interested in the veracity of it.

I've got a number of 205 brochures going back to the initial release back in '83 and all the way up to '93 vintage and they all say the same thing... including 6 year anti-corrosion warranties.

"Corrosion resistant zinc or galvanised plated panels are used in vulnerable areas or areas that would be difficult to protect after assembly." There is never mention of 'full galv' and I'm sure they would mention it if this had been an issue.

There are multiple follow on processes, phosphating, cataphoretic bath, yaada yaada... all up 10 stages to final topcoat/lacquer.

As the Series 1s are at the end of that series production (June-Oct 87) I'd be surprised if our GTis would suffer from specific corrosion if this was indeed an issue showing up as the 205s had been in production for close to 4 years.

griffo
    After you say that I think i agree with you. This site mentions all 205s were full galved by September 1987, which makes me suspect that the base models weren't until that date, but Gtis always were. http://classicregister.com/id-guides...i-phase-15-19l

Either way when you pop seams from a prang, rust will eventually ensue, especially if, like mine it has sat outside its entire life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Well it sounds like you can utilise most of your mechanicals for the new one so you may as well keep plugging away. Silver is a great colour.
    Missus is not impressed that my entire bottom story is filled with 205 parts now. Just gotta figure out what I need as spare and what to get rid of.

Sent from my E6653 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement
    FIVEDOOR and Berridale like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Missus is not impressed that my entire bottom story is filled with 205 parts now. Just gotta figure out what I need as spare and what to get rid of.

They tend to lack the vision
    flock and Berridale like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    They tend to lack the vision

"what do you need all these cars for?" "why don't you sell one?" "why do we have 4 of the same thing?'

probably fair enough actually!
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    probably fair enough actually!
    Wash your mouth out, with solvol
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    After you say that I think i agree with you. This site mentions all 205s were full galved by September 1987, which makes me suspect that the base models weren't until that date, but Gtis always were. How to identify a 1987 - 1990 Peugeot 205 GTI Phase 1.5 (1.9l) | classicregister

Either way when you pop seams from a prang, rust will eventually ensue, especially if, like mine it has sat outside its entire life.

Ah, we are coming full circle here. I am actually working with Tim of 'Classicregister' to improve the information on the 205s... Phase 1's done so far... and I did query him about this 'full gav' aspect and he said he had sourced this from some forum comments... so not hard information.

AFAIK, there would have been absolutely no difference between the treatment of a 'GTi' body and a regular (3 door) 205 body... they are pretty much the same metalwork wise, its about what they bolt onto the body that makes the difference. Sorry, but GTi's aren't special from that pov.

So I wonder regarding this whole corrosion 'mythology' is:

1. Was this unique to the 205... were other Peugeot models less prone to corrosion?

2. Was this unique to UK Pugs and if so was this due to the type of 'salting' on the roads during that period?

So if anyone has some thoughts on the matter, I'd be keen to hear them.

BTW, I heard somewhere that Iraq might be hiding WMDs... someone down the pub said it I think :-)
    Last edited by ng850; 22nd April 2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: dyslexic fringers

As my work has been at a crunch I am glad to have rid myself of my old 205 as I am almost near stage 1 of my resto on this one.

Start and idles near perfectly now after fixing a few wiring issues and cleaning out and adjusting my SAD.

The gearlinkages bushes were completely missing and I had to manually reach under the car while pulling the handbrake to get it into reverse so I've taken up my dad to fabricate some brass bushes for the linkage. Cut and welded up my original l linkage about 12mm.

It is now much nicer and my hand no longer hits the seat.

A few bulbs were out on my dash so I installed some red LEDs and the dash is longer stuck in the 80s. They aren't actually as bright as they appear in the picture.

I tried white but they made it sickly yellow like my old Courier.

The fuel lines were dry and cracked and did not feel like dropping the fuel tank so I ran new lines using my trusty snake and changed the fuel pump while I was at it.

Bilstein B6 and group N top rubbers have gone back in. With GTI6 rear shocks.

Currently rebuilding my old beam on the only 2qm concrete I have left under the house.

Just last night I took to claybaring the car and noticed there was still rust particles on the top layer of the paint. I highly recommend Iron x if your cars have this. This was how much contamination there Was on a section of the bonnet.

Only thing left is to fix this ghastly rust hole and she'll be roadworthy

Richard W and jech like this.

1000+ Posts

Well done Flock, I'm impressed at your dedication.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ouch, man!

That is a nasty place to have to weld. I see two seams along the sides.

What's the plan? Drill spot welds, clean out all the seam sealer and re-weld patch at the seams or cut along the seams and weld parallel hoping the seam sealant won't suffer?

Either way, not funny.

Interesting experiment with the LEDs.

Can you elaborate a bit? I am interested why the white LEDs show up that strangely.

What white did you use? Warm white or cool white? Did you try blue?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 13th July 2017 at 12:38 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The plan is to have someone more skilled then me to do a better job then the previous person, panel repairs is not my bag and I have not the time or patience to learn. Trust me it is nothing compared to my last car.

I used about 3 varieties of white, I'm guessing they were all cool white. The originals have more of an orange hue being incandescent. I like the red as its easy on the eyes driving at night.

Also tried white on the warning lights for fuel and coolant, stop etc etc but they turned out pink so put red in them. The other coloured indicators are all white.

So you have run into the same problem I found.

What you need (and I) is warm white LEDs. They are around, but more expensive and more difficult to find. I woke up too late to the market hunger for warm white and found nobody (Jaycar/Altronics, etc) is stocking them in discrete capsule anymore. Even strips are difficult to find (if you don't want a 50m strip for a couple of hundred bucks).

Cool white is just annoying ricer bling. Or modern oblivious soccer mum wank tank.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I bought a bunch of different colours and sizes off ebay.

You could try these for only a few bucks, might take a month to get to you..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231378509037

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information