This may interest some of you.....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: This may interest some of you.....

Fellow Frogger!

Default This may interest some of you.....

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I thought I'd let everyone know about a service I can offer fellow froggers. I bought a wet-blasting machine, primarily for use on my own cars, but there seems to be a demand for what I do so I've decided to offer to wet-blast parts for other people if they want them done. I've put a little website together so have a look if you get a minute, and you'll get an idea of what it's all about. The website is wet-blasting dot com . I bought my machine because other service providers were either too expensive (and I have alot of cars and bikes) or they simply weren't interested in providing the standard of finish that I want.

Advertisement

Besides being unauthorised advertising, your site is coming up as unsecured & dodgy.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

I have top decent up todate security software on my PC and I do not have any warnings in relation to this site, if that's what is meant by "unsecured & dodgy"
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Maybe so, however I can endorse this method when done properly though. It's unbeatable on engine and driveline alloy castings.

One of the makers tried to sell me a unit on terms some years back, I lacked the space and a dedicated operator.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks guys. I hope I haven't offended anyone out there. I've really enjoyed this site over the years, and even bought a few cars from the For Sale column, lol. If Andy N is out there, I still have your little GS wagon mate, AND the 1963 Butterbox AACO that I drove down to pick it up with! I've been a car enthusiast since the day my Dad bought me my first matchbox car and I was just offering my services to anyone who thinks they could use them. It's just a sideline for me. I have alot of cars and bikes in my collection and that's how I was able to justify buying the machine. Mind you, I've given myself all sorts of crazy justifications for doing all sorts of crazy things over the years, lol. But I do remember the days when I used to have to buy tools at garage sales and markets because that was all I could afford. I want to be able to help out the skinny kid with the thin wallet and big dreams for his daily ride, as well as guys like myself who might be able to spend alot more on their project. I'm just a car enthusiast who thinks that everyone should be able to enjoy this as a hobby if they choose. It's gotta be a whole lot better for a young person to spend his coin on an old car than drugs or alcohol......at least they'll have something to show for their money afterwards, and they can share that positive vibe that you often get when you hang out with a fellow enthusiast.
    Sunroof, Kenfuego and J-man like this.

I've been accused of being unsecured and dodgy, sticks and stones..

Fellow Frogger!

LOL! One could be called worse eh? One of my old mates once said I was "crazy"......I can't even remember what it was about! I told him that if I was crazy, then crazy I would stay, 'cos I'm the happiest person I know.

I cut & pasted the website & got the 'unsecured' message. Maybe it was the underscored 'w' that caused the message? On second loading just now it took successfully me to Steve's site.

Anyhow, apologies Steve for casting doubt on your integrity.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger!

That's ok mate, you weren't to know. I was thinking omg, I'm unsecured and dodgy and wondering what I'd done wrong, lol! I have Japanese cars as well as french, and one of my mates in Toowoomba told me the other week that I should go to the All Jap day that they had at Banyo the other week. So I set up a little stall there with a few parts to show the folk, and I was gob-smacked by the response. A few guys really seemed to think that I'd put some sort of coating on the parts and look on their faces when I explained that no, this is the alloy itself.....the look on their faces alone was worth the effort of going down there. One young fella wanted to get his tappet cover for his Datsun done and I said that wouldn't be a problem. Another guy wants me to blast a heap of motorbike stuff that he ordered from the UK. When it arrived, he rang them to complain about the finish, only to be told that's just how it comes. It apparently looked alot nicer in the magazine. My background is aeronautical, so this is a process I've been dealing with for years. I guess I have taken it for granted. I have a set of factory alloys on a 1987 Toyota Tercel (yes my bad taste knows no bounds) that are dirty and old looking. I am going to blast them before I put the new tyres on and they will come up looking factory new. The bearings in the rear arms of my CX Prestige are worn so, when I change them, I'll put the arms through the blaster and they'll come up as good, or better, than new. Nobody else will see them, but I will and that's what counts. Must be my OCD playing up.......

OCD in controller doses is good
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

A bit like the old carpenters' saying......measure twice, cut once . I agree with you, FIVEDOOR......controller doses is good. Sometimes I have to stop myself and remember that I'm not working on aircraft anymore, lol

Steve,
    it looks like a great product/ service based on the gallery on your website. My old man used to offer glass bead blasting for vintage motorbikes etc but wet blasting seems to be the next level up by far.
    Good luck with it. I might send you an Indian crankcase as a test!
    cheers, Ian.

1000+ Posts

Vapour blasting is nice and gentle and gives a great finish to alloy parts. Years ago while travelling around US car shows and "meets" almost all the carburettor and diecast parts on offer had been vapour blasted and you had to look closely to determine they were used parts, same with second-hand tools, and very much a contrast to what was then on offer at our Australian swap days, i.e. rough and ready take it or leave it!!

When I returned to Australia I looked at purchasing a unit like the homestyle ones in use in the United States, but there was only commercial units at commercial high prices, so could not justify it at that stage. Congratulations on getting your unit up and running - and offering a service to others.

Must confess I haven't checked on what is available for purchase these days by home enthusiasts, is it still mainly commercial equipment or is Hobby stuff around?

Ken

I think entry level is well over $10K and you still need 3-phase plus a dirty big compressor.

Fellow Frogger!

Ian, motorbike engine castings look gorgeous once they've been wet-blasted. Wet-blasting is popular for motorbikes restos as it makes the engine the undeniable centrepiece. You're very welcome to call me for a chat if you like.

Yes, there are cheaper (I think the cheapest are around $3000 plus import duty etc) machines available for wet-blasting. I looked into importing a machine from China but it was hard enough to get a reply from the factory when I asked about any machines that might have been imported into Australia, with the view to me having a look prior to purchase. My questions went unanswered, only to be repeatedly asked when I was going to place an order. The word is that the machines cobbled together by some manufacturers are poor copies of the "Vacqua" machine that I use, and that they suffer with cavitation issues, inconsistent flow rates and varying media concentrations at the nozzle. I imagine that some of the cheaper machines would be like trying to spray paint your car with bits of goop floating around in the paint bowl. The "Vacqua" machines are expensive, but they are the one brand that I know are reliable. I've got a 52CFM compressor and yes, that meant getting three phase hooked up. I didn't want to risk buying some inferior blaster and then attempt to run it from a dinky little compressor, only to be disappointed by the end result. Having used the "Vaqua" machines during my time working on jets, I knew they were top quality. I knew it would be money well spent, considering how much of my own gear I have to blast. And if there's anyone else out there who wants their parts done, then I can help them out too .

How's this going?

Icon6

G'day,
    for the benefit of us non technical types, can you explain the difference between
    wet blasting and vapour blasting .

I found the latter in Cycle Torque magazine, a free publication, available from bike shops and the like.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Now that's (Newcastle etc) what I call a crook web page. I'm surprised your browser displayed it.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    for the benefit of us non technical types, can you explain the difference between
    wet blasting and vapour blasting .

I found the latter in Cycle Torque magazine, a free publication, available from bike shops and the like.
    I'm not entirely sure about what vapour-blasting entails. I've had guys describe what I do as vapour blasting, but there's no vapour involved at all. What I do is wet-blasting.......glass bead and water, pushed through with a pump and combined with compressed air to vary the amount of cleaning force available. Despite what some people go on about, insisting that there's something dodgy about my web page lol, there's obviously something dodgy happening from their end. Most people have no trouble accessing it. As far as cleaning anything with "vapours", I'm afraid that the only experience I have with that is the "vapour degreasing bath" that we had at Amberley. It was the best thing ever for cleaning greasy parts, but if you fell into it, you'd have been dead before you hit the bottom.
    And that's not an exaggeration, lol!! We managed to corner a rat that we found in the hangar once, so we put him in a wire basket and lowered him into the bath. He was dead before we lowered him more than a foot into the vapours. The bath had the effect of completely dehydrating the rat until it looked as though every last morsel of moisture had been sucked from it's body. I can't begin to imagine what it would do to a human.
    In answer to Addo's post.......yes, it's still going. A couple of froggers have had me clean some parts for them, and they seem quite happy.
    I go to the occasional swap meet and set up a little stall, with a few bits an bobs to demonstrate the finish. Most guys wander up and have a look and seem impressed by the finish, but I'm amazed by how few people have seen it before, given how long it's been around. I have to keep reminding myself that I just take it for granted since I have been using it for so long. I went to the Laidley bike swap a few weeks ago, and was staggered by the interest from the biking fraternity.
    I'll most probably go to the Beaudesert swap this weekend, and set up a display there. I'm always happy to have a chat to people about what their projects involve. Plus, it gives me a little base for when I go and do my own shopping at the swap.
    Cheers
    Steve

Edit: I just realised that the web page from Newcastle was the one being referred to as being possibly dodgy, lol, but it came up okay on my browser. Doesn't seem at all dodgy to me. I'll tell you one thing though.....I'm cheaper than he is. The process he seems to be using is the process that I refer to as "wet-blasting". He calls it "vapour blasting", but they seem to be one and the same.
    Last edited by CarNut; 27th November 2014 at 12:02 AM.

So, just to be clear about this. I logged onto to websute wet-blasting dot com without a problem. If people are complaining then the owner needs to address it. Maybe the browser they're using is the problem. However, the editor mentions a website in Newcastle, which website in Newcastle?

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Peter. The wet-blasting website is mine. Someone complained a few months ago that it was "dodgy", but I seem to recall that it was their firewall that was the problem.
    I'm guessing that the site about vapour-blasting is the one where the guy is based in Newcastle. There doesn't seem to be anything dodgy about that one either. It looks very professional, and it looks like the guy does a nice job. Certainly worth looking into if you're in that area and restoring a car or bike or whatever.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by CarNut; 27th November 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Hi. I suppose where I'm coming from is as someone who once upon a time had customers logging onto a certain website regularly, I had my fair share of complaints about that website. The problem was actually that they were trying to access via using Apple Macs or IE6 which the website didn't support. Not good for business and bad word of mouth publicity. One needs to make every post a winner.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, Peter. It's slightly annoying when, due to nobody directly involved, the software or firewall or whatever decides to throw a warning up saying the website is dodgy, or the "security certificate" is dodgy or whatever. I just use my computer.....I don't know a real lot about fixing it. So when someone comes and says my site is dodgy, my first reaction is to think I've done something wrong, lol.
    When you're not an expert in a particular area (i.e. me and computers) you tend to doubt yourself but I'm learning that it's more often than not just some sort of software doing it's best to perform its intended function.
    But yeah, like I said, I had a look at that website belonging to the guy in Newcastle and it looks ok to me. From my perspective, as someone who does similar to what that guy does, he'd be preaching to the converted. If there are any froggers around the Newcastle area that are looking to get some alloy stuff cleaned up to look as good as (or better than) new, wet-blasting is the only way to go and that guy could be your man. And anyone in or around south-east Queensland, of course, is more than welcome to give me a call if they want similar work done. Anyone who knows me knows I love a chat, and if I don't think I can do the best job of helping out, I'm more than happy to suggest a better way if I can think of one.
    Cheers
    Steve

Watch the bike fratenity, I remember some funny incidents with one workshop where one MC had left several bikes for work - then someone from a rival club called about bringing in some bikes. There was a mad scramble to hide signs of the first group visiting recently - to avoid nasty disputes on or just outside the workshop...

Hi Steve, please don't think that I was having a go at you. It's easy if you have a systems analyst on tap but not easy if you don't. It's a hard ask in the case if you are a one man band who has to be a jack of all trades. Computers are wonderful but they do have their problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information