New 205 GTi restoration project
  • Register
  • Help

Default New 205 GTi restoration project

OK so I have really caught the 205 GTi bug now. I just recently bought myself a 1990 white 205 GTi with the intention of restoring over time but as it is now my second car and driving at least a couple of time a week and went out and bought myself another one. This one is a silver 1988 GTi. I am going to clear out my garage and push it in and strip everything back for a new full body respray (white of course) although I have been thinking what would a 205 GTi look like in french racing blue. I have never seen one (maybe there's a reason for this). So my first intention is to seam weld the body prior to respraying.
    I asked this question about my recent white one where the bottom of the B-pillar to the sill has let go, but I still haven't had much response. Come on ......there must be some race / rally guys out there that have seam welded their cars.
    Anyway I will post the progress of the restoration as I go but I will no doubtably be asking lots of questions along the way.
    Rowan
    New 205 GTi restoration project-dsc_0026.jpgNew 205 GTi restoration project-dsc_0028.jpg

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

I welded the front of the sill panel, just behind the wheel on the LHS. However I'm not sure it was welded there in the first place, maybe just caulking compound.
    Mine started to come apart at the front of the gearshift tunnel, where it joins the fire wall.
    That's about it though, after 4 years of hard going, I'm sure a 404 or 504 would have had more problems than this, I speak from experience there.
    I did weld in reinforcing plates for the tops of the strut towers and it has a welded in cage so the usual pulled spot weld at the bottom of the B pillar and the cracking in the caulking compound at the top hasn't occurred.
    Easy to reweld the bottom of the B pillar.

I'm thinking of doing a more thorough job with a cheap GTi I picked up the other day, in particular remove all the wiring and start from scratch with a competition based set up and also a bit of seam welding and reinforcing.

You can find details on GTi Drivers forum in the UK.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by slash.dot.dash View Post
    OK so I have really caught the 205 GTi bug now. I just recently bought myself a 1990 white 205 GTi with the intention of restoring over time but as it is now my second car and driving at least a couple of time a week and went out and bought myself another one. This one is a silver 1988 GTi. I am going to clear out my garage and push it in and strip everything back for a new full body respray (white of course) although I have been thinking what would a 205 GTi look like in french racing blue. I have never seen one (maybe there's a reason for this). So my first intention is to seam weld the body prior to respraying.
    I asked this question about my recent white one where the bottom of the B-pillar to the sill has let go, but I still haven't had much response. Come on ......there must be some race / rally guys out there that have seam welded their cars.
    Anyway I will post the progress of the restoration as I go but I will no doubtably be asking lots of questions along the way.
    Rowan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	57930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	57931

Thanks Graham, hopefully we can share our experience along the way. I am not after a competition based setup, however, my white one I have was built as a fast road occasional track car. It has coil over suspension, and while the car handles very well, better than I remember of my GTi I used to own, the stiff suspension must be taking it toll on the body as shown by the broken spot welds on the B-pillar. I thought that if I plan to take it back for a bare shell respray why not put a bit more effort into strengthening the shell. I can't see any disadvantage. I looked at the GTi drivers site and they seem to mention mainly the top of the strut mounts you said and the foot plate (maybe the firewall I'm not sure). Anyway when I get the car stripped down and will have a good look over it. I guess asking advice without a starting point is a bit hard. I think I will put some thought into it and come up with a plan and ask if anyone has had any experience with those areas.
    Rowan

Thread Information