205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice

I am the proud new owner of a 1990 Peugeot 205 GTi. I have been after a project car now for quite a while and finally found my first choice - a white sunroof model. While I may have paid too much for it…..the body is in fairly good condition and I was in desperate need of a second car so circumstances dictated that it was the time to buy. My plan was to have a registered car that I could work on over time. Someday after everything is done I plan to take it back to a shell for a complete respray. In the meantime I need to do some seam weld repairs. It was built as a track car and has Tracer coilover front struts and rear shocks. While this is great for cornering it does make the car really firm, There are no cracks in the body work but the spot welds at the rear of the sills have let go. Most likely as a result of the stiff suspension. My question is where should I start and stop my repairs. I have indicated on the photos what I was thinking but thought maybe someone out there might have some valuable past experience.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image1.jpg   205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image2.jpg   205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image3.jpg   205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image4.jpg   205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image5.jpg  

Also I forgot to mention. While doing the obligatory clean when first getting the car. I lifted the rear seat bases to find an oily film on the dished recess under the seats. I gave it a clean and thought it might be responsible for the oily smell. I then stripped the rear seat covers to give them a wash only to find the seat bases soaked with oil. Obviously at some time a container of oil has split and run down into this recess and soaked the bottom of the seats and the centre seat belts. Does anyone have any idea how to get oil out of the foam. I guess I could hang these for days/months/years and see if it will flow out but I can't see a workable solution as I need the rear seats. I was also thinking I could try soaking them in a water based degreasing solution bath?
    If I can't get it out does anyone around have some spare rear seats they want to sell. I am around Wollongong so anywhere around Sydney would be OK. I also go to the Gold Coast & Warwick most school holidays so anywhere in between or Brisbane would also be an option.
    205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image6.jpg205 GTi Body Shell Restoration Advice-image7.jpg

Pick a part Dapto has 205 si you could put your covers on there seats. I have a si in the back yard but I will have to see if the rear seats are in there or not if they are you can have them.
    Regards jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Thanks Jamie much appreciated. Let me know how you go, in the meantime I will contact Pick A Part Dapto. My children think the 205 is the coolest car but are a bit apprehensive about the oily seats.......
    Cheers
    Rowan

Wow that last image - i have the same thing on my car. All this time I thought it was just a poor paint job - too much moisture and too many cracks after drying...

edit: i just found a section in the revue technique that shows all the weld points, will take pictures and upload later otnight
    Last edited by lion5; 16th June 2014 at 08:21 PM.

Bump for this thread. Would be keen to know if anyone has repaired these areas before as mine is quite similar
    1990 205 GTI

Thread Information