1959 Floride Restoration
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 1959 Floride Restoration

Default 1959 Floride Restoration

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have recently acquired a 59 Renault Floride which is pretty straight, a little rusty (but not too much...) & boasts an impressive amount of bog. Lord knows what is waiting under it, but I am looking forward to finding out!

My plan is for a full strip down & rebuild. It has discs all round with an aftermarket booster, a not-quite-sorted Caravelle cooling conversion, & a motor of uncertain origin. I am planning on building it up as a functional everyday driver rather than a tres-authentique period piece.

Having grown up with Pugs & Renaults & owning a string of them over the years, I always wanted a rear engine renault project & now I have one!

The car project is waiting patiently for me to finish off my house project (owner building an earth home), so it probably won't get started until after winter, but in the meantime I thought I would post some pics, say hi & ask whether anyone knows what is available in the way of new spares for these things? I am thinking about lenses, window seals, door rubbers etc (& panels, he asks optimistically, but not hopefully...).

I know a fair amount about mechanical fixin's but very little about panelbeating. The idea of this project therefore is to learn some new skills as well as have a beautiful & fun car to drive.

Advertisement

I have been reading this forum for a while & am very encouraged by the level of skill, knowledge & passion here. I am hoping to meet some of you, learn from you & hopefully offer something in return.

Thanks,

Gerard.

1959 Floride Restoration-img_0606.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-img_0607.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-img_0608.jpg

Wow, well where do we begin? Nice car, it looks like a close cousin of mine with the blue paint and bumper over riders. Do you know what engine it has, there should be a plate on it somewhere visible near the distributor, if you can tell us the numbers we can identify it for you.

The disc brakes aren't standard but essential in my books. There will be plenty of bog in the front area where the panels join, that's just how they were built.

I'll throw a suppliers list together for you-all will be OS. Also if you post some pics of the cooling system and radiator area I can diagnose a fix, for example the side air vents are probably now redundant and should be blocked off to allow the radiator to draw air through the rear grille, there are a dozen things that could contribute to cooling problems.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Congrats on the purchase, and some one here might say surprising that you got that one because someone else seems to be buying them all up.
    On parts and panels, do a search for Renkins as a Dutch mob English is understood easier and are usually cheapest, though there is a fair few French places that stock all sorts of things also.
    Like any restoration and especially with Florides the condition of it is most important as rust repair is expensive if your skills aren't in that field. Having a car with a solid base does make it a hell of a lot easier, and a rusty one sometimes is easier to just walk away from.
    As I always say a Floride back on the road in any condition is always better than one sitting in a shed rusting away, so no matter how you get it done just do it and enjoy driving it as us others do.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

One of our formum sponsors, French Connection in Melvegas he's worth a call first up. Dave 1300 0 FRENCH or [email protected]

Tim Renkens from Holland is always the first port of call in Europe, he communicates in english and his prices are always the best, he'll have lenses, windscreen rubbers and chrome parts, amber sun visors and as well as mechanical parts. [[email protected]]

Der Francose in germany have all sorts of parts, mechanical, electric, rubber and plastic. prices and service are great. Welcome to Franzose.de - your online shop for frensh car parts - Citroen 2CV, 2CV6, 2CV4,Citroen DS, Peugeot, Renault, Other Oldtimer Vintage Cars

Melun retro have similar parts and will communicate in English with a bit of prompting, service is good. Melun Retro Passion : Pièces et accessoires pour voitures anciennes

Neo retro are much the same as above.. NEORETRO Pices dtaches RENAULT PEUGEOT CITROEN SIMCA

Jacques in USA are always good to deal with and carry most parts. [email protected]

And for any go-fast bits try Mecaparts Catalogue ALPINE RENAULT

Have fun with that lot and if you still cant find specific bits just ask, there are plenty more suppliers.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th March 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Just a note for you Graham, the Floride I've been driving around all weekend is original engine and brakes and I must say it stops better than any disc brake one I've driven before, and I'm quite pleasantly surprised but also pleased by that.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Just a note for you Graham, the Floride I've been driving around all weekend is original engine and brakes and I must say it stops better than any disc brake one I've driven before, and I'm quite pleasantly surprised but also pleased by that.
    Come on, fess up! Photo's?
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Come on, fess up! Photo's?

Shhh, t's suppose to a big secret..

(Gatecrash Alert! )

hey all, thanks for the replies! The engine plate tells me the moteur is 688-03, & le no. du moteur is 27714. So maybe someone is going to tell me its actually a lost Gordini motor that disappeared from a Renault factory rally team van back in the early '60s? or...not.

BTW I am picking up a failed project R10 this weekend & plan to grab the drivetrain & other common parts. If anyone wants anything else i am happy to remove it if you want to make arrangements to come get it. The body is definitely salvageable but not by me, so its going by Monday morning.

Gerard.

Sorry to say Gerard but the 688 is only a 1100cc.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by GerardR View Post
    the moteur is 688-03, & le no. du moteur is 27714.
    The motor is 1108cc as introduced in the European Renault 8S. In a nutshell, it would have been installed originally in an Australian 10S in 1970. From the factory they have a Weber twin-choke downdraft carby, an eight-port cylinder head with larger valves, and different camshaft over the "normal" 688-02 motor fitted to a "normal" R10. It produces 60bhp @ 5,000rpm.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Interesting wheels ,are they sunratia or something, pugs

It produces 60bhp @ 5,000rpm
    ? Not at the moment it doesn't!
    It has a Weber twin choke carby on it- I assumed it had come from somewhere else. Motor sounds like a keeper- haven't had it running yet but I was told it was OK.
    The wheels are Speedy- better photo attached- made here in Sydney sometime back in the day. They look like the ubiquitous Sunraysias don't they pugs?
    Here is a pic of the brake booster conversion- anyone seen this done before?
    1959 Floride Restoration-img_0610.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-img_0611.jpg

Tadpole

Yes, I've had a power booster fitted to my Floride by Michael from B&R Brakes at Blacktown - works a treat!

Hi All,

Here is an update on the Floride! It has taken a while, but I finally stripped the car to a shell & got it dipped by RediStrip in Blacktown.
    Oh Boy, ground zero... the great thing about dipping is there are no more surprises when it comes out of the tank!
    - plenty of rust, but nothing that can't be fixed.
    - a fair whack on the RHF, repaired to a budget I suspect, & not a big one... concerned about how straight it is...

The first thing I want to do is check how straight it is before I get into the bodywork. Does anyone have any data on key measurements for these things? distances between front & rear crossmember mountings etc?

The other thing I need is a RHF guard!! Anyone? Anyone? I can fabricate new metal, but it would be a lot easier just to start with a better one...
    I have some Caravelle parts you may want to swap?

If anyone is interested, I am learning as I go, with some help from a couple of guys calling themselves Motorretro. They are ex-St Leonards TAFE guys who used to run the car restoration for beginners course (now axed...) & are now running classes in Seven Hills for people like me who have some (lower case 's') skills & a project, but need some guidance.

Will post again in a couple of weeks when I get it to the shop & do the measurements.

G1959 Floride Restoration-during....jpg1959 Floride Restoration-floor_worst.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-rhf_gaurd-sill.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-rhf_guard_messy.jpg1959 Floride Restoration-after....jpg1959 Floride Restoration-before....jpg
    Dano and FIVEDOOR like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gerard,

I know Vaughan very well, I was at the opening last weekend and had the Alconi all cleaned and fuelled to go but took the BM when the skies opened again.

I can't help you with the bits but you could not be at a better place for expert advice and top quality assistance. My mate Pete had the Jack Brabham Repco Brabham F1 car on display there. The Porsche 2.8 RSR Replica being restored there will be fitted with an engine I sold to the current restorer, Joel, a few years ago.

I am sure you will find plenty of parts through here but if you have to turn a flat piece of sheet steel into a front guard, you're at the right place.

Cheers,

I'd be interested in the details of Motorretro....
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Hi KB, Vaughan is the guy I recommended to sort your R8 rust issues, he has now opened a business in Seven Hills after the closure of the TAFE course.

Thanks Bustamif,
    I did put 2+2 together. My question was more about "tell me about this business" - where are they in 7 hills, how does it work?
    Do they run classes etc etc.

Edit - after a bit of searching, I found their website which answers my questions:

http://motorretro.com.au

KB
    Last edited by renault8&10; 3rd February 2016 at 05:44 PM.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Hi KB, I am told they just got a website up which should answer all your questions try motorretro.com.au however I can't seem to get the link right. Make sure you go to au ?
    Cheers,
    Last edited by Bustamif; 3rd February 2016 at 05:52 PM.

1000+ Posts

do you know what colour it was originally? on the right hand side of the inside front there would have been a stencil sprayed with a code? that will tell you the colour, or you might find evidence on the inside of the doors of course. oh you've stripped it already.

Yep, thats floride rust for you, luckily theres no pic of the underside.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi Gerard,

Is this what you needed, if not I'll see what else I have?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1959 Floride Restoration-image-13-.jpg   1959 Floride Restoration-image-14-.jpg   1959 Floride Restoration-image-15-.jpg   1959 Floride Restoration-image-16-.jpg   1959 Floride Restoration-image-17-.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 4th February 2016 at 09:18 AM.

Yes please, scan those babies, I'll need them eventually too.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

For the red one..?

*** If anyone is interested, I am learning as I go, with some help from a couple of guys calling themselves Motorretro. They are ex-St Leonards TAFE guys who used to run the car restoration for beginners course (now axed...) & are now running classes in Seven Hills for people like me who have some (lower case 's') skills & a project, but need some guidance.****

~30 years ago I got my grounding at Noble Park Tech via TAFE one night a week.

Fantastic course that taught me skills I still use today.

I really miss it because they also gave me access to exotic equipment like wheeling machines, rollers, shrinking machines and the like.

I'll never forget my 1st assignment: to make a perfectly half spherical hub cap from a flat piece of steel.

Damn pity the Bean Counters have killed hobby courses like this. The internet (You Tube) helps but it's not as good as hands on.
    WLB likes this.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information