michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build

The VT mount can also be modified to lower the engine 10mm to give further clearance of the MC.

Cam

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks cam, another vote for the vibra technics. Did you replace them all with a full kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    Thanks cam, another vote for the vibra technics. Did you replace them all with a full kit?
    I'm interested in this too. I was under the impression you can get away with just the drivers' side one, which is the one I purchased. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Good to see another xu10 project! I'm really keen to give autocross a go actually.

Fellow Frogger!

G'day chez,

I think I would replace all of my mounts with something, but the vibra technics look rather expensive compared to the group n mounts.

These cars were built for auto cross, just ask graham wallis or Julian (pug life)

Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

For Autocross in SA contact the Walkerville All Cars Club, they have a facility the other side of Truro, also Southern Districts Car Club are getting something going near Cambrai.
    SEAC in Mt Gambier have a great track if you want to travel a little further.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by chez00 View Post
    I'm interested in this too. I was under the impression you can get away with just the drivers' side one, which is the one I purchased. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Good to see another xu10 project! I'm really keen to give autocross a go actually.

Just use the VT mount for the top and group N for the others.

The grpN are not really needed for road use. They will vibrate most of the car.

Cam

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again cam, so once the clearance issue is sorted with the top mount, the others only need to be renewed if they are perished.

It looks like the group n would make for a fair bit of vibration, so will have a look around.

Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Fellow Frogger!

You only NEED the VT mount for the drivers side so you can machine it down 10mm. You could leave the passenger side as is, but the engine will not sit level. All you need to do on the passenger side mount is make up a 10mm thick spacer out of aluminium or similar to space the gearbox down 10mm. The spacer goes between the gearbox and the engine mount.

If you use the VT on the passenger side you ditch the aluminium spacer that comes with it and make up some thinner ones up, the result being a 10mm drop, just like the spacer does on the stock mount.

Just depends on how much you want to spend really - and it's worth remembering this is all done to get MC clearance. And, every car is different with regards to how much clearance you need. Mine was a pig, but some find it a lot easier.

VIP Sponsor

I've done two 1.9 Mi16 conversions and each time the Group N mounts have provided enough space and being stiff it means the engine doesn't hit the MC.
    Yes lots of vibration but OK for a competition car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicho View Post
    You only NEED the VT mount for the drivers side so you can machine it down 10mm. You could leave the passenger side as is, but the engine will not sit level. All you need to do on the passenger side mount is make up a 10mm thick spacer out of aluminium or similar to space the gearbox down 10mm. The spacer goes between the gearbox and the engine mount.

If you use the VT on the passenger side you ditch the aluminium spacer that comes with it and make up some thinner ones up, the result being a 10mm drop, just like the spacer does on the stock mount.

Just depends on how much you want to spend really - and it's worth remembering this is all done to get MC clearance. And, every car is different with regards to how much clearance you need. Mine was a pig, but some find it a lot easier.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I've done two 1.9 Mi16 conversions and each time the Group N mounts have provided enough space and being stiff it means the engine doesn't hit the MC.
    Yes lots of vibration but OK for a competition car.
    Graham, from all my reading you are right - stock mounts or groupN mounts will work for the Mi16. BUT the Gti6 is a different beast and the clearance to the MC is MUCH tighter.

As I have said elsewhere, I spent a few hundred deneros to get a couple mm clearance around my MC and most of that coin was for the VT mounts. Having said that, you may get lucky Michael - and I will curse you forever!! Haha!

It's also worth noting that the VT mounts are certainly stiffer than stock as well. I haven't tried any GroupN mounts so can't compare to those, but the little 205 vibrates a good amount compared to the stock mounts in certain rev ranges. Nothing you can't live with.

Fellow Frogger!

Hicho,

Would rather not be cursed, but until I put the engine in, I won't know for sure either. Vibrations I will learn to love, that's what makes a weekender / track car special.

Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

Group N mounts are fine once above 2000 or so, idle and low revs are pretty rough.
    My 8 valve rally car is much better now it has the fully counterbalanced stroker crank and Mi16s have this as standard so should be OK.
    Casnells car is quite smooth with MI16 and Group N mounts.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Hicho View Post
    Graham, from all my reading you are right - stock mounts or groupN mounts will work for the Mi16. BUT the Gti6 is a different beast and the clearance to the MC is MUCH tighter.

As I have said elsewhere, I spent a few hundred deneros to get a couple mm clearance around my MC and most of that coin was for the VT mounts. Having said that, you may get lucky Michael - and I will curse you forever!! Haha!

It's also worth noting that the VT mounts are certainly stiffer than stock as well. I haven't tried any GroupN mounts so can't compare to those, but the little 205 vibrates a good amount compared to the stock mounts in certain rev ranges. Nothing you can't live with.

Fellow Frogger!

Hicho,

Would rather not be cursed, but until I put the engine in, I won't know for sure either. Vibrations I will learn to love, that's what makes a weekender / track car special.

I reckon I was the cursed one!

But you're right, you won't know until you try it. Think I took my engine in and out at least 5 or 6 times to get the MC clearance right.

Good luck on yours and keep us posted.

Fellow Frogger!

Anyone who has done this conversion...

Unable to find the 306 Non A/C Tensioner and belt (such as found on 306 Rallye) at EAI,
    Does anywhere in Aus stock it, or should I order it from UK?

Thanks,
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Fellow Frogger!

Just a small update...

I have bought another 205, from Graham Wallis, which means it is also ex 205 Maxi
    Considering I already have a running 205, and this one has no engine or box, it will most likely get the good bits off the 306.

Taken 12 months off racing to be able to focus on getting this right.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

Hi Michael,
    I think we forgot to load up the RHS Si hub on Sunday?
    Just a small update...

I have bought another 205, from Graham Wallis, which means it is also ex 205 Maxi
    Considering I already have a running 205, and this one has no engine or box, it will most likely get the good bits off the 306.

Taken 12 months off racing to be able to focus on getting this right.

Fellow Frogger!

I think so too. Oops. Let me know if you are over west anytime soon and I will try to receive it.

Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Haha, that 205 is ex me before maxi!

Cool

Fellow Frogger!

So it is the town bike of 205,s

Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Fellow Frogger!

Small update...

Been over to EAI and spent my tax refund (better be kind this year Taxman)
    Bought a new radiator, water pump and timing belt kit for the gti6 engine, and also a BE3 clutch kit.

So only need the correct clutch fork for the push type clutch, and the rest should be right.
    Is it worth chasing down an XSi or S16 gearbox instead? I noticed that Aprilla was selling both items recently.

Thanks,
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Fellow Frogger!

Ok, time for a progress update.

Quaife ordered, non air con pulleys and belts ordered, bought xsi gearbox off aprilla.

Been stripping the wiring in the 205 for the donor loom, and I must have a unique car, because I do not have the 2 brown plugs that everyone refers to when wiring the loom

Luckily wiring is my strong suite so I will just attach the loom in the engine bay, somewhere out of the way.

Also, can anyone in Melbourne recommend someone who builds gearboxes, as I want the final drive and 1st out of the gti6 box into the xsi box
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

1000+ Posts

Sounds good Michael, did you get an answer as to the BE3 or gti6 gears, interested in changing my final drive as well, I believe the later diesels gearbox can provide gears too?

Fellow Frogger!

None as yet, but I hope to heat the gearbox out, and take both to a mechanic who can change the gears I want into the xsi box.

Thanks,
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

1000+ Posts

Thank you, that answers my other Q, which gearbox are you using. I need to source one too not interested in the 6 speed gti6 box so an early 205 or later 205 box for me.

Fellow Frogger!

More progress today

michael_ozzie's 205 GTi6 Build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407752443.818285.jpg

Several days of prep, and the engine is out.

The only casualty was the drivers side drive shaft, that I forgot to remove from the rear lower mount, which prohibited it being removed. Had no option but to bust it out at the knuckle.

Anyways, had chaz00 offer his love for the gearboxes, will effectively be the most expensive part of the car, but if that's what It takes to get the ponies down, then so be it.

Not looking forward to putting it into an engine bay 80% the size.
    chez00 and mclouj like this.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information