1957 Slough DS 19 Restore
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1957 Slough DS 19 Restore

Default 1957 Slough DS 19 Restore

Well,

I think a few people on the forum probably know more about this car than I do. I believe it was in NZ originally and then made it way to AUS.

Advertisement

Over the coming 2-3 years Jason Hantos and myself (Adam Spence) are going to try and do a pretty good job on bringing this car back to life.

I will try and keep the page up to date as we progress.

So far we have stripped the car completely and are pretty impressed with the overall lack of rust. Needs new floors and boot but apart from that pretty good.

Will be on the hunt for a few other parts for the car as we progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1957 Slough DS 19 Restore-ds-restore-1.jpg   1957 Slough DS 19 Restore-ds-restore-2.jpg  

Do you know where in NZ this car came from? I recall retrieving a '57 DS from an old lady in Sumner (a suburb of Christchurch) that later went on to be owned by a mayor of that city...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

One of the Pass brothers cars? I reckon it looks fantastic as is .... It must be incredibly tempting to rebuild it's hull and mechanicals, and drive it looking like it does for a while ................ It sure would be an attention getter

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If the car ends up being half as good as your 8G it will be an amazing task. I'm sure it will be even better than that though!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I saw this car in its "socks and undies" today. Amazingly sound in so many of the usual problem areas.

Shane, the paint is just slightly too far gone for conservation with a distinguished patina.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I saw this car in its "socks and undies" today. Amazingly sound in so many of the usual problem areas.

Shane, the paint is just slightly too far gone for conservation with a distinguished patina.
    So Addo the paint has become porous? ie one step before sunburnt off the car. Carefully removing the paint is the largest task if it is to be kept in a complete state of assembly, otherwise it's dismantle to a pile of parts and fix as required.
    Is the car going to be retained as a LHS car? Or are you going to the 'Green' side and doing an LHM conversion?
    Brendan.

Brendan, it's not my car.

You need to ask those questions of "the other Adam".

Brendan, it's not my car.

You need to ask those questions of "the other Adam".
    OK Addo I'll ask "the other Adam" (Poster NOW does huffy turn but maintains Steely gaze!)
    Dear Redbackracing in your opinion, and I'll not set the Spanish Inquisition if your are 'incorrect', has the paint become porous/chalky and one step below 'sunburnt' which therefore requires re-painting.
    Next, and a vexed question it is , Are you and Jason going 'Red' or 'Green' with the fluid?
    Further question, and it is open to the masses, Would an upgrade to the late 20th/ early 21st Century be possible/logical/feasible with the 'Orange'?
    Brendan.
    Now running and hiding after rolling a grenade.

Hi Guys, Yes I was really really happy with the body work when we stripped it back. I am pretty sure we will convert to Gleen fluid. One site we have been sent is this one HD19. On the painting side. It definitely getting painted. It has been all stripped and all parts are being polished/repaired/painted or replaced.

Here it is on the way to the painters

Car on way to painters1957 Slough DS 19 Restore-dsrestore2.jpg1957 Slough DS 19 Restore-dsrestore.jpg

Nice ... What colour are you going for?

I'd be interested in seeing how your bumpers finish. The early slough cars aren't stainless are they? There usually rusty metal that was once chromed. It will be interesting to see how the ( mazak/muck metal ??) parts that join the bumper pieces plate up. I'm sure there will be several very interested DS19 owners in Australia watching this thread closely

IMO if you have to strip down all the hydraulics either way (to clean/replace seals) it would be insanity not to change to LHM while your doing it, after all it is no extra effort. On a car that's working well I wouldn't dream of it though After all the brake fluid has been working for 50years .... another 50 probably won't hurt!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Car is going to be painted black. I know not original colour for this car but to be honest really not a fan of this grey colour. You are right about the bumpers etc. We have some search to do as the rear bumpers are too far gone and the light pods on the roof are marginal.

Bumpers are steel and not stainless hence they have rusted away

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Nice ... What colour are you going for?

I'd be interested in seeing how your bumpers finish. The early slough cars aren't stainless are they? There usually rusty metal that was once chromed. It will be interesting to see how the ( mazak/muck metal ??) parts that join the bumper pieces plate up. I'm sure there will be several very interested DS19 owners in Australia watching this thread closely

IMO if you have to strip down all the hydraulics either way (to clean/replace seals) it would be insanity not to change to LHM while your doing it, after all it is no extra effort. On a car that's working well I wouldn't dream of it though After all the brake fluid has been working for 50years .... another 50 probably won't hurt!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,
    which bits do you think are mazak?
    roger

Maybe not mazak, but they appear to be sand cast "something" where the top and bottom parts of the front bumpers join... I don't even have a 1st nose front, so it's not a problem for me

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The mob up in Central Mangrove used to save really bad brightwork. I think part of their process was extremely heavy copper plating that was linished away to just fill pitting.

Fellow Frogger

The mob up in Central Mangrove used to save really bad brightwork. I think part of their process was extremely heavy copper plating that was linished away to just fill pitting.
    The copper layer is part of 'triple plating', but it's an expensive process and the number of platers has diminished. I recall being quoted at least $1,500 to triple plate a set of undamaged chromed bumpers about a decade ago. It's entirely possible to strip what remains of the bumpers, weld/braze/hard solder the problem areas and file them. You can plate over bronze, but the acid dip to remove old chrome plate can also attack those repairs, so they need to be stripped of chrome first. For the DS, a set of stainless bumpers looks like the pragmatic choice, even if it's strictly not correct for a Slough car. Stainless and chrome certainly look different though.

However, the backs of many restored chrome bumpers often resemble a moonscape with a horrifying number of craters. It's not what they plater is worried about. It makes some of the repro stainless bars an attractive option for quite a number of older cars, particularly from the 1950's and 60's (e.g. W112 and 108 Benz).
    Last edited by David S; 18th January 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Probably one of the better-known US chrome shops; for years done a disfavour by their old website.

Surface Restoration

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by redbackracing View Post
    Car is going to be painted black. I know not original colour for this car but to be honest really not a fan of this grey colour. You are right about the bumpers etc. We have some search to do as the rear bumpers are too far gone and the light pods on the roof are marginal.

Bumpers are steel and not stainless hence they have rusted away
    Yes. the early Slough brightwork is a real problem.
    Attached are a couple of photos of my '57 Slough DS19.
    The second one was taken in the '70s when the car was disinterred from a farmers barn near Hastings NZ. You can see the extensive corrosion of both the upper and lower blades of the rear bumper, in fact the lower blade is holed in the middle. You can also observe the rusting of the full length 'trumpette de Jericho' roof trims.
    The first photo was taken about a decade later when it was being moved between owners in NZ. This shows the sad state of the lower blades of the front bumper.
    In both photos it is obvious that the 'elbows' connecting the upper and lower blades are not corroded. This is because they are cast aluminium, chrome plated for the DS19 and polished for the ID19.
    The use of chrome plated parts on Slough cars was due to two factors - the first was a desire to maximise British content to qualify for import duty concessions when exporting to the Commonwealth. The other was that the Slough factory had a large electro-plating plant, mainly used for outside work. They had perfected the technique for plating on aluminium, so the bumper elbows and boot hinges on the DS were plated.
    Apart from being chrome-plated steel, the lower blade of the rear bumper on the early Slough DS19s is unique in that the centre section is much deeper. I've yet to see an explanation as to why this was done, perhaps better control of the centre exhaust fumes?
    Also the centre section of the front bumper is unique to Slough cars. This vertical plinth was to satisfy UK number-plate requirements.
    For the restorer these parts are a real problem. Usable parts are as rare as rocking horse shit, and recovery of rusted items is likely to be problematical and expensive. I dont see any real issues with replacing these parts with later stainless steel items.
    roger
    Attachment 52089Attachment 52090

Hi Guys. A quick question. What colour should the engine block be painted? Thanks

this is the colour (original from what I can tell) of the later long stroke motors that I have here. Yours is however a much eariler slough car .................... so I'm not sure if I'm helping at all

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks, Is that a greenish colour?

yeah dark green... the paint looked so good on the block I just cleaned it and left it alone.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thats interesting that green on the mounts and breather is the same as what I just painted my block for DV engine, I asked the paint guy if he could do AC502 and it came out this dark greyish green, various froggers have mentioned how varied the greens on Ds are.
    I kind of got to the point of its green that'll do!
    Although I have reverted to Brunswick green $3.95 a can for LHM bits!
    Near enough is good enough will do, it's not like I intend losing sleep over it...
    Wildebeest likes this.

Not sure if we got the colours exactly correct but here we have the motor all back together 1957 Slough DS 19 Restore-ds19motor.jpg Next, Rust repairs and painting of the body.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by redbackracing View Post
    Not sure if we got the colours exactly correct but here we have the motor all back together Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ds19motor.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	57224 Next, Rust repairs and painting of the body.
    Err, no - the colour is completely wrong. It should be a dark green.
    roger

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information