R8 Gordini Motor
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default R8 Gordini Motor

I,ve just come in from the garage and am elated having just started the engine for the first time since I rebuilt it.The initial fire-up took a lot longer than I anticipated as I needed a new fuel pump, which was out of stock in France. This took nearly four months of waiting, and Mecaparts informed me that the manufacturer will no longer make them .The initial start sounded a bit rough, so a little fiddling with the Webers made it a bit better but not perfect. The points were arcing , so I traced this to a faulty coil, wich I swapped over making the world of difference. It is still running a bit rich , so some tuning is obviously needed, but it sounds strong doesn't rattle or leak fluids ,and as it was getting late ,I didn't want to get offside with the wife or neighbours, calling it a day.The Caravelle bodywork is nearly ready for Hi-fill, with the panelwork done.Upholstery is coming along with the front seats nearly finished. Today I received the door trim and quarter panel backing boards, so they'll be done next. When I learn how to post photos , I'll put some up.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by chris hartwell View Post
    I,ve just come in from the garage and am elated having just started the engine for the first time since I rebuilt it.The initial fire-up took a lot longer than I anticipated as I needed a new fuel pump, which was out of stock in France. This took nearly four months of waiting, and Mecaparts informed me that the manufacturer will no longer make them .The initial start sounded a bit rough, so a little fiddling with the Webers made it a bit better but not perfect. The points were arcing , so I traced this to a faulty coil, wich I swapped over making the world of difference. It is still running a bit rich , so some tuning is obviously needed, but it sounds strong doesn't rattle or leak fluids ,and as it was getting late ,I didn't want to get offside with the wife or neighbours, calling it a day.The Caravelle bodywork is nearly ready for Hi-fill, with the panelwork done.Upholstery is coming along with the front seats nearly finished. Today I received the door trim and quarter panel backing boards, so they'll be done next. When I learn how to post photos , I'll put some up.
    Nice one Chris, pictures would be good. Was it you who was selling renault body stickers (tyre pressure, coolant details etc.) on ebay a couple of years ago, if so do you have any more..?

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Graham,
    Yes that was indeed me selling the labels. The complete set is $25 which includes the tyre pressure placard, battery advice notice, bonnet ring pull location, and radiator filling precaution notice.

I know a guy who wants a set, I'll be in touch.

Fellow Frogger!

I,ve just come in from the garage and am elated having just started the engine for the first time since I rebuilt it.The initial fire-up took a lot longer than I anticipated as I needed a new fuel pump, which was out of stock in France. This took nearly four months of waiting, and Mecaparts informed me that the manufacturer will no longer make them .The initial start sounded a bit rough, so a little fiddling with the Webers made it a bit better but not perfect. The points were arcing , so I traced this to a faulty coil, wich I swapped over making the world of difference.
    Hi Chris

Re the fuel pump, why not use an electric one for easy starting and ready availability? I use a Facet pump on my A110 with the R8G motor and it makes for easier starting. They are easier to get if you are having trouble getting them from overseas.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers

bazzamac

Default Free pump.

Hi Chris,
    I recently received a brand new Sofabex fuel pump from o/s. It was advertised as the one I needed but the one I didn't when it arrived so it's yours if it fits. It's a lever actuated type if that helps.

Stimpy.

Just remember that the Gordini fuel pump is slightly different because it has a lower cap on top to clear the inlet manifold. A R8 pump won't fit. You can use an older type Renault 5 pump as well (the one with the north/south motor) because they have the cap with diaphragm sitting at the bottom and it will clear the inlet.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuelpump

Hi Frans,
    Yes that was the holdup, waiting for the correct type, but as I said , it finally arrived!The engine is running a bit rich at lower revs, am I correct in thinking that until it's run in, richer is cooler, so change the idle jets after that?

Hi Chris.

One could say yes to your statement as long as it is not that rich fouling plugs etc. Although in the manual they say that when setting carbs it might foul a bit and "depress the accelerator from time to time to prevent the plugs fouling".

My opinion............ After the engine has reached and run on operating temp and cooled down about 5 times the first re-torque has to take place. That is very important to me. Then you can start putting decent load on the engine for the rings to bed in properly without glazing the bores. After that another torque down after 500 kms, then you can wring its neck, and a third after a 1000 kms. A fourth won't harm later on. The first gasket failure I had was recently on the race car but after some close inspection, I found the the fire ring burnt through and that is where it was leaking. It could have been due to detonation.

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thread Information