Jo's dream shed
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Jo's dream shed

Default Jo's dream shed

Not quite sure where to put this thread but this seemed like a good enough place.

Have taken on the lease of a shed.....Massive by my standards.

There is a sh!t load of work to be done to bring it up to standard, and this will be my summer holiday job.
    Some people go away for their hollidays....I like to stay home and do stuff, and this will keep me very busy and possibly broke.

Nothing in this place is small.
    Am yet to survey it but it is big...If you fell off the roof you'd die type of big.

The immediate aim is to get it to lock up stage and weather proof, which will mean fabricating barn doors, unless of course someone has a factory roller door they want to sell me cheap. Would need at least 3m of clearance.

Floor will need painting, basic kitchen and dunny put in, and electrical and lighting upgraded to a minimum standard. A few columns will need replacing after being hit by the fork lift, and one section of the roof fortified.
    I'll try and replace one sheet of metal roof with translucent fibreglass and use the bit I remove to fix up the rusty overlap in one section.
    Once it is all structually sound and water proof, a 2 post hoist will get installed.
    Possibly a clear floor symmetrical high lift model.
    Enough of my mates drive biggies like a merc sprinter and a landcruiser, so it will need to be a decent sized hoist, probably 4 ton SWL. I'll see how much money is left over from the fitout.

Advertisement

My landlord is a super guy, and is totaly cool for me to do whatever I want with the building.
    He has also given me licence to use up whatever I can find lying around the place. Combined with the stuff I've been hoarding over the years, that adds up to one hell of a lot of building products, so apart from electrical stuff which I'll buy new, most of the stuff will be re-cycled.

Nothing will happen for a little while as it is still being used to store the existing vehicles, but in a month or so it will become mine and the pressure will be on to get it done.
    Oh, and one other thing, it is 20m from my house....Close enough to be bothered going to it for a screw driver, but far enough away that i can close the door at the end of the day and walk away.
    Thats a HR truck in the second bay, for size reference.

Jo's dream shed-shed1.jpgJo's dream shed-shed2.jpg

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 19th November 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    FedGrapes and Sunroof like this.

Shed envy
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

what holds those wall sheets on ... that looks like a 4+meter run with no noggins to be screwed into

Sure does look good to me. You have a concrete floor which is a real bonus. Usually "home built" sheds like that one have dirt/mud/gravel for floors. Does it have any power at all ? You should be ok if it has chunky wiring to the shed ... you'll struggle to run a hoist/compressor/etc if it has the equivalent of an extension lead from the house running to it

I reckon it'll be way bigger than you first imagine if you run a tape measure over it. that truck is probaby 10meters long for starters.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shed envy indeed! Looks like a great space.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

It looks fantastic, especially close to home. What more could you want?

In the other thread, I think you were looking at renting one-third of the shed, is that still the case? The bays look to be about 4 metres wide, and I can see 3 of them, are there more?

I can see the future - a nice mezzanine, with a kitchen and bed - remember Bert Munro (World's fastest Indian)?. Then you can sublet the house as well!

Plus One to Shane's comment - go overboard on long wiring run from mains.

Chris.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    what holds those wall sheets on ... that looks like a 4+meter run with no noggins to be screwed into

Sure does look good to me. You have a concrete floor which is a real bonus. Usually "home built" sheds like that one have dirt/mud/gravel for floors. Does it have any power at all ? You should be ok if it has chunky wiring to the shed ... you'll struggle to run a hoist/compressor/etc if it has the equivalent of an extension lead from the house running to it

I reckon it'll be way bigger than you first imagine if you run a tape measure over it. that truck is probaby 10meters long for starters.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Those wall sheets are held onto the adjoining shed with galv nails with built in cups, hence you cant see them.

Landlord is concreter, hence good slab with reo. +150mm. Not level but very flat and built to handle the trucks and associated toys.

Power,lots of it. Three phase and single.
    Lighting.... 4 double battens, and 4x par36 for the outside.

I'm walking on air today.... This has been a dream of mine for almost a decade.

One of the storage tenants I have secured is my bro's van, so If i fall on hard times, can live in the mighty millard capri.
    That would be scabby though, so I need to make sure I dont get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    In the other thread, I think you were looking at renting one-third of the shed, is that still the case? The bays look to be about 4 metres wide, and I can see 3 of them, are there more?

Chris.
    2 bays of high quality roof and floor. They are the ones with the vehicles in them. Forklift and loader in bay 1, HR truck in two and photo taken from 3.

The third is crappy, bad slab, bad roof and poor walls. Suitable for truck parking or builders storage only.

Could have coped with one bay, but that would have seen me back in the same predicament I'm in now, where once you put a car or two in, there is no room to swing a cat.
    This way, I have more room than i need, but if my dream plan falls into place where I find someone like you (retired but still very much alive) to become my employee and mentor, I can fast track an apprentiship, and be the boss and the apprentice and run a commercial business.
    That is a way down the track, and possibly I'm dreaming, but I figured it was foolish to not plan for that type of thing when I have the option of doing so.
    If someone else took that second bay, the option would have closed and I'd be stuck with a small shed again.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 19th November 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Here are some better photos.

One looking in and one looking out.

PJ180 Will be pleased that the shed is oriented the right way for comfort.
    Standing at the back looking out the door hole, you are looking almost perfectly north, so no killer afternoon sun in you eyes like you get on a west facing opening, and predictable usable light all day long. The third shed protects it from the hot afternoon sun, and the east side upper dressing will have some of the tin replaced with poly carbonate.

Ignore the tin that is hanging off the front(held on by the electrical wires. That will be replaced with large wooden window panels removed from my moms house when she renovated.
    I reckon I have about 20m x 1.5 m of window panels, all in good nick with layers of mission brown paint protecting them.

Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jo's dream shed-shed-3.jpg   Jo's dream shed-shed-4.jpg  

Is the forklift for moving wayward Fuegos?

That said, looks awesome - shed envy, although I have recently got a place with two undercover carspaces - the ultimate luxury in my book.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    Is the forklift for moving wayward Fuegos?
    Nah, thats what the scenic is for.
    It cant drag them across the dirt with no wheels though (I did try) but the forklift can't drive on grass either, so thats where the mates 'cruiser comes in handy.

Forklift will be invaluable for hoisting up the windows and other jobs I best not mention.. From memory they are a two person lift and would be a real pr!ck to lift with ropes alone.

Jo

Living the dream Jo

It was always the ambition of gibgib to have an Aussiefrogs shed in each state - maybe one day. . .

That space has so much potential, shed envy here too

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Looks like a red hot Turbo Fuego build on the way?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Nah, thats what the scenic is for.
    It cant drag them across the dirt with no wheels though (I did try) but the forklift can't drive on grass either, so thats where the mates 'cruiser comes in handy.

Forklift will be invaluable for hoisting up the windows and other jobs I best not mention.. From memory they are a two person lift and would be a real pr!ck to lift with ropes alone.

Jo
    One of these should allow you to drag around anything you like in the yard. The value for a "rough runner" doesn't appear to be much more than scrap metal value.

Range Rover Suit OFF Road Farm Buggy NOT Patrol Landcruiser in Melbourne, VIC | eBay

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Great adventure Jo!

Congratulations Jo

Looking forward to the Great Aussie Frogs working Barbeque, air conditioned shed with flow through ventilation for those hot summer days (bring your own cold beer!!)

Absolutely chuffed that you have taken this on, never know where it will lead, either a hive of commercial activity or a magnet for the storage of Junk that will inevitably be attracted to the available space!! Are we seeing the building blocks of Jo the millionaire entrepreneur or Jo the hermit surrounded by a lifetime of collecting and hoarding, or just Jo, everyone's mate but making a comfortable buck or two and enjoying life.

Good luck in achieving whatever you want Jo. The next ten years will be a whirlwind of activity, but remember to get the fine print sewn up while you have the owner on side as you don't want to put your heart and soul (and every penny) into it, and then find that when he passes on the beneficiaries just want to find a loophole in the lease to chuck you out and redevelop the entire place or sell to the gougers, as it will be in the terms of the lease that you need to decide the depth and breadth of the improvements you make and longterm viability of any projects that depend upon the space.

A trusting handshake is always good between honourable men, but their descendants...well that needs good paper backing!! IMHO!

Bloody marvellous dream project, wish I lived closer and was 20 years younger to help with it!!

Will always come and man the barbecue and raise a glass to your good fortune!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    The next ten years will be a whirlwind of activity, but remember to get the fine print sewn up while you have the owner on side as you don't want to put your heart and soul (and every penny) into it, and then find that when he passes on the beneficiaries just want to find a loophole in the lease to chuck you out and redevelop the entire place or sell to the gougers, as it will be in the terms of the lease that you need to decide the depth and breadth of the improvements you make and longterm viability of any projects that depend upon the space.

A trusting handshake is always good between honourable men, but their descendants...well that needs good paper backing!! IMHO!

Ken
    Thank you for your kind words, Ken.

You have pointed out the weakness in my armour re the next generation.
    There is no print, fine or course, and the only thing that binds this agreement is a handshake between two honourable people.

I put the landlord up on a pedestal as being one of the most honourable men I know. The italian community in which I live all share that view.
    He an I have an established relationship based on trust and goodwill. Really at the end of the day this is the most important thing.
    Whilst some would consider that worth as much as the paper it is written on, I believe whole heartedly that it is worth more than most iron clad contracts.

As long as I continue to show respect, keep paying like clockwork, keep the place maintained and exclude toxic people from the property I am honouring my side of the arrangement.

It has always been a risk that when the patriarch passes, the next gen will not be as accommodating.
    That is when my time here finishes and I explore new arrangement.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon14 That's fine eyes wide open!!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Thank you for your kind words, Ken.

You have pointed out the weakness in my armour re the next generation.
    There is no print, fine or course, and the only thing that binds this agreement is a handshake between two honourable people.

I put the landlord up on a pedestal as being one of the most honourable men I know. The italian community in which I live all share that view.
    He an I have an established relationship based on trust and goodwill. Really at the end of the day this is the most important thing.
    Whilst some would consider that worth as much as the paper it is written on, I believe whole heartedly that it is worth more than most iron clad contracts.

As long as I continue to show respect, keep paying like clockwork, keep the place maintained and exclude toxic people from the property I am honouring my side of the arrangement.

It has always been a risk that when the patriarch passes, the next gen will not be as accommodating.
    That is when my time here finishes and I explore new arrangement.

Jo
    Hey Jo that is fine, I have done the same in the past, my last extension was built and completed without any written contract, just mutual trust and so far where I have followed my honourable instincts, (gut feeling?) I have never been let down, but many have been horrified and warned of dire disaster that never happened.

I trust your instincts too, but I also wish your landlord a long and bountiful life, what goes around, comes around in our lifetimes and if it doesn't, just have a good plan "B".

Yours sounds fine, very practical.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    The bays look to be about 4 metres wide, and I can see 3 of them, are there more?
    Found my tape measure and did a quick measure up.
    Each bay measures 4.7m x 11m with about 5m of height.

I have two bays, so 9.4x11m, about 103m2 of floor not including another 14m2 for the kitchen and dunny.

News travels quickly around here
    Have already had an offer to rent out one of the bays to a ford guy building up his drag car.

Jo

Congrats, Lots and lots of shelves to place stuff on do they make 3 phase beer fridges? hehehe
    Citroën's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

Citroën's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger!

An AF shed close to Melbourne and more specifically in the City of Banyule would be great. A men's shed if you like with parking and storage for a lot of cars. A garrett upstairs with a big TV, open fireplace, comfortable chairs, fridge. Something like an American barn.
    There's a fabulous shed on Gumtree at the moment, 936 sp metres for $160k. But it's 3 hours out of Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Congrats, Lots and lots of shelves to place stuff on do they make 3 phase beer fridges? hehehe
    Will this do, you can make them bigger if you like.

Cold Cool Freezer Rooms in Brisbane, QLD | eBay
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Will this do, you can make them bigger if you like.

Not that i don't appreciate you fabulous suggestions guys, but I already have a 'beer shed' or man cave.

Has a scotch bar, a beer fridge, kettle,microwave, couches, TV for watching the F1, hi fi for the rest of the time, Wifi, AC for summer and a heater for winter.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Living the dream Jo

It was always the ambition of gibgib to have an Aussiefrogs shed in each state - maybe one day. . .

That space has so much potential, shed envy here too

Cheers
    Chris
    Once the shed get up and running, I'd be delighted to be considered an 'Aussiefrogs shed', whatever that actually means.

Might have to see about getting a huge AF logo mounted to bit of white signboard and stuck on the front wall.

I owe a great deal to the collective knowledge of AF members, and have met some fabulous people through it.

Jo
    GreenBlood and FedGrapes like this.

Jo, while you are in fix-up mode, you might as well go for the third bay as well.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Jo, while you are in fix-up mode, you might as well go for the third bay as well.

Roger
    I gave it a lot of thought, but the economics of it just didn't work in my favour.
    As it is, I'm sailing very close to the wind, and as these sheds have the same landlord as my house, to bugger up will come at a huge personal cost...I stand to lose my shed and my house.

Jo

A bit of progress on the shed.
    Most of the partition wall framing between my bays and the third bay is in place, and is just waiting for the steel front columns to arrive before taking them any further.
    The back wall had a bit too much ventilation so the gap was filled with some new corrugated colourbond steel.
    That was a bit of a dog job as the antiquated tin is that super thick stuff and not the easiest to drill through with the roof screws. Added to the difficulty was the fact that the size of the corrugations was subtly different on the new sheets.
    Pre drilling was required which slowed the progress down considerably.
    I reckon whoever made the shed in the first place didn't own a sprit level, had no concept of horizontal or plumb and was quite possibly drunk.
    It sucks having to follow the same crooked lines.
    At least the new bits are plumb and square.

Being a massive hoarder of seemingly useless crap is starting to pay dividends as I've collected a stack of window frames from a job site.
    The fact that we managed to remove the window frames from a house, transport them back to my place and store them for a year without breaking one pane of glass is bloody amazing.
    You've got to love cedar....They've been sitting on wet dirt for a year and are not showing the slightest sign of rot.
    A quick pressure clean had the mision brown paint returned to its full late 70's glory.

Once the steel columns at the front of the shed are in place, I can bolt the lintels that support the windows on and the size of the hole at the front of the shed will be defined.
    With that, the door size will be established, and I can start cutting the steel frames (another hoarded item) to shape ready for welding.
    I'm considering buying a cheap hot cutoff saw to get the mitres accurate and make the welders job easier.

I'll borrow my neighbours mig welder and pay his welder dude to weld them all up on the flat concrete floor.
    His job will already be compounded by the fact that some of the steel is slightly warped, but with a bit of luck and lots of brute force I'm confident straight doors can be made.

Once these frames are made, they will be clad with ply and covered in colourbond (yet more hoarded items).

When the doors are hung, most the dirty work will be completed and the floor will get a few coats of jet dry paving paint.
    Bought 20l today at a bargain price, and had it tinted a light yellow/beige colour.

I'm looking at adding a mezzanine to the back of one shed (fist photo) and should be able to open up anothern 20m2 of storage space.
    The challenge will be making it on a modest budget.
    Any clever suggestions???
    I have not hoarded any mezzanines so I need to work out how to build one without spending the hoist budget.
    So far all I have had to buy was the paint so I'm happy with how things are progressing.

Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jo's dream shed-mezz.jpg   Jo's dream shed-shed-walls.jpg   Jo's dream shed-windows.jpg  
    Kenfuego and Kim Luck like this.

So where are you putting the bar and pool table?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread Information