R8G Transmission Case Repair- HELP
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default R8G Transmission Case Repair- HELP

First post, so I'll start with a Hello to all sundry! I've been using this community as a reference for my R8G restoration, and I'm always impressed with the knowledge and ingenuity of its members.

The current catastrophe is a break in the gearbox case - the part that holds the shift forks and the locking 'donut' in position. From the picture, can anyone guess what could have caused this? I'm not the original owner so I haven't the faintest.

I'm planning on taking it to a place that "specializes" in welding cast metals, but I'm hoping one of the members here has some advice on how to proceed. Its a clean break on both sides and fits perfectly into position. Is there any part of the assembly that I should specifically inspect (eg. straightness of shift forks/rods) for damage?

More generally, I took it apart to seal the leaky half-shells with silicone. I have the shop manual, but are there any tips or modifications that are generally recommended for improving the stock 353 setup?

Advertisement

Many thanks!
    Gordon

R8G Transmission Case Repair- HELP-brokencase.jpg

Welcome aboard AF's Gordon. That is a strange break, unless the selector shaft had been bent somehow, or the case has taken a hit in the past. It'll be interesting how the repair goes, likely tricky, as the shaft run would have to be line bored or bushed, as well as checking the shaft for straightness. My thoughts would be to find another case.

If AF user Dauphproto doesn't repond, try sending him a PM, as he is *The Man* when it comes to Renault transaxles. Also don't use silicone for sealing the case, it oozes inside and can cause problems.

Also beware if you are using the R1135 workshop manual, as there were a number of updates to the 353 gearbox, such as changes in crown wheel bolts and torque settings etc that are not covered in the July 1966 version. And I've never seen a later edition of an R1135 workshop manual. If you are lucky, the ID disc may still be on one of the end housing bolts indicating the type of gearbox fitted to the car (and if indeed the internals are original).

Also it may be worthwhile (if you don't already know) to get in touch with Paul Silva, who also owns an R1135 in Canada. His website is here LUSA ELECTRIC AND AUTO
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Default R8G restoration 353 transmission

Gord I have a couple of the 1135 manuals but as mentioned they are from the 1966 vintage and in french . I am also hoping to restore my 1969 R8G car in the future at present I own 2 complete 1255 812 power plants with 2 353 transmissions one for the R8G car and one that came with my Manic gt car . I reside in Ontario Canada and may Know of some one to assist . Email address [email protected]

1000+ Posts

His may sound a bit tarzan ,but is it possible to ,re position the broken part then drill a hole ,through the broken part to the outside of the box,fitting a nice stainless bolt with appropriate sealer and a nylock nut ,preferably on the outside ,i was going to say that this part isn't under any stress but obviously it has been under enough to brake it at some time ,im not too keen on welding as iv had some alloy parts distort badly when welded ideally the complete casting should be pre heated before welding ,as little heat as possible added from welding ,then the casting allowed to cool slowly with the selector shafts,or similar installed ,and even bolted down to something flat or the other side of the case while it cools down ,im somewhat mystified as to how this has happened ,pugs ps isn't there a guy in england specializes in these boxes ,may have a spare case .

Fellow Frogger!

One of the biggest issues with welding Aluminium that has been submerged in oil is getting it clinically clean.This is critical for a good weld. I do a lot of aircraft welding including Lycoming and Continental engine cases and cleanliness is priority. I agree with Simon and Pugwash re. bolting it down and line boring. Preheating and post heating is a must .Any good engine machine shop should be able to manage the line boring. Definately talk to Steve Swan first ! Good luck

I don't begin to understand that break.

Can't add anything to the posts, which is all I could have suggested.

But, as Simon said, welcome to Aussiefrogs. Where in Canada are you? Are you a member of ROCNA?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks for the warm welcome all! I'm in the Toronto area. Not a member of any organization and truly over my head (financially) in this restoration project. The engine has been fully rebuilt and the transmission job (having never driven it and being assured all was well when it went into storage) was supposed to be nothing more than a thorough cleaning from its long slumber- no such luck.

This problem is a perfect representation of the project since day one; Everything looks perfect, then on proper inspection, there's an inexplicable part failure that renders the project paralyzed until some massive investment in funds fixes the issue only to find the next and equally crippling discovery.

Its become an upsetting process but like any mistress, it seems like its half passion, half pain.

It feels like the deeper I go, the further I get from driving the car of my dreams, but I soldier on and save up to move past these hurdles. What I wouldn't give to have the disposable income to get this thing on the road, but people in hell want ice water.

I really appreciate all the input and, as usual, the quality of information and knowledge on this site is second to none, likewise the camaraderie. Its refreshing to see in an online community.

Cheers,
    Gord

Hi Gord,

Do you want a PM with contact details for the Renault Owners Club of North America? Nice guys.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Gord I have a large supply of parts that I have collected for the Manic projects and as mentioned before I also have a pair of R8G power plants complete with transmissions. I do not have the 353 transmissions out of the vehicles at this time but do have lots of 330 transmissions so my question is for all the tranny types !!! Can a 330 transmission casing be modified to be used as a 353 casing ??? from what I see in the books the two look quite similar ??? From what I understand the 5 gear is added onto the front end assembly and the final gear ratio's are pretty much the same as the 4 speed . Otherwise the 5th gear is not a overdrive .

Gord I have lots of 330 transmission's as well and we can make some arrangements to at least get your car rolling until you can find a suitable solution for your transmission .

I would also love to compare some notes on your restoration project considering you are relatively close to my part of the country . I have family in the Barrie area and I personally reside in Southampton.

Manic GT
    E mail [email protected]

Default R8G transmission

Gordon I just rembered that I had a transmission case stuff apart from some of the stuff I collected . The side casing that I just looked at sure looks like what you have shown in the picture !! I not sure but I think it is a 330 case but it may be a 353 case as well I just acquired it with a lot of other bulk Renault parts purchases.
    Manic GT.

The best thing to do here would be to use a pair of 330 cases and forget about repairing the damaged one, it's not impossible,but so much work. I've never seen this type of failure before,so it may be a flawed casting and better scrapped
    The only issues are whether the shift mech is 8mm or 10mm if the donor cases are small and yours are large it's just a question of redrilling and reaming the detent holes in the case (easy enough) There are many more 8mm 330 cases out there than 10mm ones, so you should be ok
    If you have any specific questions please ask and I will do my best to help
    cheers
    Steve Swan
    Well if it was easy everybody would do it

Thread Information