R8 restoration project
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default R8 restoration project

Now that I have been working on my R8 (Gordini replica) for about 12 months I guess it's time to share some pics and history.I briefly touched on the cars past when Damien Gardner posted the "anyone know what happened to this R8" a while back. I first had this car back in the late 70's and using Damiens donor car transfered everything into a later shell. I then managed to pick up some Gordini bits from the guys at Sale (ex Bob Watson/Collier car, which ended up in the tip! The boys pranged the car,stripped it,built another rally car and dumped the remains! After getting the car more or less the way I wanted it I then sold it to Russell McKenzie in Ballarat who had it for 20 odd years until I twisted his arm to let me have it back in 2010.
    The current status is it has been completely dissmantled to the last nut and bolt, minor rust repairs Tig welded ...it really is in good nick apart from having to make up a new RH sill. The shell has been finished in PPG 2 pak 418 blue. I have also made extensive use of PPC Coatings products for all the smaller bits. It is now slowly going back together. I have a R5 Alpine head and bits from Steve Swan and also the 16TS gearbox conversion parts and big uni's. Not sure if I'll tackle the box, I have plenty of engine experience but gearboxes none. So there it is , never be a true G but it will be as close as you can get with the twin shock back end ,G springs, steering rack and dash. Also have some neat Alpine copy 5 spokes from Image in the uk .more pics to follow, Cheers Brian Turner

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 restoration project-p1050199.jpg   R8 restoration project-p1050860.jpg   R8 restoration project-p1060081.jpg   R8 restoration project-p1060147.jpg   R8 restoration project-p1060844.jpg  

Hi Brian,
    Well that looks familiar! I'm currently restoring an R8G and I have some very similar photos to yours, experiences as well I would imagine. At the end of the day it will be worthwhile especially knowing its all your own work. Please keep the photos coming as I am really interested to watch its progress. Here is a link to my R8G resto blog if your interested, it may also be of assistance. Maybe start your own blog to keep us all up to date on the progress. It also makes a good reference if needed.
    Paul's R1135 Gordini Restoration

Good luck
    Last edited by Paul T; 23rd August 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Paul, I have been following your progress and it's looking great. Always good to have a project a bit more advanced than your own to look at! Cheers

Very nice Brian. That puts the other postings nicely in perspective.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks John, will try to keep a regular update of progress.

Fellow Frogger!

Finally sorted the issue with the stub axles and now have restored originals in place,small dia. stubs are available if anyone is interested.Also have the rebuilt pedal assy shaft in place and just to do something different have started laying down thethermosetting underlay body deadener...actually goes down real nice with a heat gun. R8 restoration project-p1070016.jpgR8 restoration project-p1070325.jpgR8 restoration project-p1070326.jpg

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    Finally sorted the issue with the stub axles and now have restored originals in place,small dia. stubs are available if anyone is interested.Also have the rebuilt pedal assy shaft in place and just to do something different have started laying down thethermosetting underlay body deadener...actually goes down real nice with a heat gun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070016.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	48238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070325.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	48237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070326.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	48239
    Nice job Brian.

Is that body deadener a kit or did you just buy a roll and cut it to fit?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

It comes in sheet form and you trim to fit, it's actually quite stiff and will crack easily if you try bending it without a bit of heat. I got it from the Body Shop in Melbourne. There are much better products available but they tend to be a bit thick and I had my doubts that the rubber mats would sit down properly onto it, so I've gone for the period look.It is the same thickness as the original deadener.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    It comes in sheet form and you trim to fit, it's actually quite stiff and will crack easily if you try bending it without a bit of heat. I got it from the Body Shop in Melbourne. There are much better products available but they tend to be a bit thick and I had my doubts that the rubber mats would sit down properly onto it, so I've gone for the period look.It is the same thickness as the original deadener.
    Thanks for the info Brian
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8 wiper motor conversion

This is how I did a Fuego wiper motor conversion in the R8, easy fit with a small weld mod to the arm and new adaptor plate, even passed the smoke test!R8 restoration project-p1060966.jpgR8 restoration project-p1060964.jpg

Thread Information