nuts and bolts
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: nuts and bolts

Default nuts and bolts

Can anyone tell me where I might get a selection of citroen (genuine or not) nuts and bolts to replace those that are missing on my SM. They are mainly small ones on the under tray panels, but it is always handy to have a jar of assorted sizes handy.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

COL

go raid a wrecked SM and you will have the poper nuts & bolts
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Can anyone tell me where I might get a selection of citroen (genuine or not) nuts and bolts to replace those that are missing on my SM. They are mainly small ones on the under tray panels, but it is always handy to have a jar of assorted sizes handy.
    cheers Tony
    Tony,
    fasteners to suit are available from a number of European suppliers, but I suggest you try www.citroenclassics.co.uk/‎.
    If you dont require them to be genuine Citroen items then any good fastener store could supply. The undertray is held on by 5mm x 0.8mm pitch setscrews about 20mm long.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    go raid a wrecked SM and you will have the poper nuts & bolts
    You jest. When we liquidated te garage we sold shovel scoops of random bolts, nuts and washers for 30 bucks US. Sold ' em all too.

Via the aussiefrogs App

COL

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    You jest. When we liquidated te garage we sold shovel scoops of random bolts, nuts and washers for 30 bucks US. Sold ' em all too.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Actually I was being serious. When I have wrecked many a R12 I have removed every nut, bolt, fastener that was attached to the shell and stored them in tins for future use.

All these tins of nuts and bolts has been very handy over the past 30 years.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Actually I was being serious. When I have wrecked many a R12 I have removed every nut, bolt, fastener that was attached to the shell and stored them in tins for future use.

I do that too.... I still seem to have barely any spare fasteners. The problem is a lot of cars have missing or trashed fasteners, so you rapidly use up all your spares. Nuts are always the hardest to find. There is plenty of fasteners on parts cars, but most of them dont' have a nut on the other end (as they screw "into" something).

M5 x 0.8 should be easy to find. They will be readily available from local "bolts and fasteners" types stores I imagine. M5 x 0.75 (early DS/ID) is much harder to find

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I was referring to the chance of finding an SM parts car down under.

Via the aussiefrogs App

COL

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    I was referring to the chance of finding an SM parts car down under.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    I see, well maybe raid another Citroen of that era.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I do that too.... I still seem to have barely any spare fasteners. The problem is a lot of cars have missing or trashed fasteners, so you rapidly use up all your spares. Nuts are always the hardest to find. There is plenty of fasteners on parts cars, but most of them dont' have a nut on the other end (as they screw "into" something).

M5 x 0.8 should be easy to find. They will be readily available from local "bolts and fasteners" types stores I imagine. M5 x 0.75 (early DS/ID) is much harder to find

seeya,
    Shane L.
    M4 x 0.7 (early DS) are even harder to find.
    roger

Last time I looked under the bonnet of your CX (possibly in Tassie) there were plenty of spare fasteners along the tops of both front guards. Have you used them all?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Last time I looked under the bonnet of your CX (possibly in Tassie) there were plenty of spare fasteners along the tops of both front guards. Have you used them all?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    That was Cit In in McLaren Vale in 2009
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

COL

M4 x 0.7 & M5 x 0.8 can be found on Ebay
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

M4 x 0.7 & M5 x 0.8 can be found on Ebay
    These are very much standard spec screws and/or bolts. Do they have 'something' Citroen different, such has spanner size...M4 is 7mm across the flats and 3mm In Hex Allen key, M5 is 8mm across the flats and 4mm In Hex Allen key. ALL quality suppliers will have them in various grades and material types. Confused as to why it seems to be so hard? Brendan.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    These are very much standard spec screws and/or bolts. Do they have 'something' Citroen different, such has spanner size...M4 is 7mm across the flats and 3mm In Hex Allen key, M5 is 8mm across the flats and 4mm In Hex Allen key. ALL quality suppliers will have them in various grades and material types. Confused as to why it seems to be so hard? Brendan.
    I think it isn't so much the fasteners are hard to find, but the exact style. A lot of Citroen-specific bolts have a double chevron (OMG- can you just imagine all your hardware with Shane's likeness on it??) stamped into the top, and what passes for a lock washer is a slightly cone-shaped 'flat' washer with serrations around the bolt hole. Almost everything is gold cad. You can fake a lot of the hidden stuff, but quite a lot of it is on display in some manner. Of course, being the anoraks- excuse me, pain in the *ss- that many Cit owners are, we gotta have the real stuff.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    They'll still be there ..... They hold on the bits I haven't bothered to screw back on .... They obviously aren't required
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks men,
    I will consult with my local fastener shop with the sizes suggested.
    cheers Tony

Tony whilst you are unlikely to get fasteners with Shane's face imprinted in them. (Then again Ang might like to earn a few dollars 'smacking' Shane into a couple of hundred bolt heads...may even do it for free!) I'd recommend that you take a sample or two down; Cadmium plating 'Bad/Toxic', ZPG (Zinc Passivated Gold) Good. The lock washers as described by Hotrodelectric are what I'd call "electrical/mechanical contact washers". Used them for years whilst serving time at Schneider Electric building Ring Main Units. They came in metric sizes 3,4,5,6,8,10,12 and 16. May have been bigger but this range covered what was needed to be done. Looking at them they are a great thing as so long as you have a flat surface under the bolt head or nut the requirement for a flat washer is removed. Was common to use one at each end ie under nut and bolt if space was tight and 'I do NOT want to have this come apart' application was required. I may have said this previously, pretty sure I have, but I might see if I can chase up these critters....also have used them as S/Steel but they are a 'oncer' as they flatten out and that's it. Brendan.

Thread Information