74 DSpecial Renewal
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 74 DSpecial Renewal

1000+ Posts

Default 74 DSpecial Renewal

Well it's three months since I stuck it on the club trailer and parked it next to the shed to go in for some work. I have repainted some of the panels around the wings and been squirrelling parts away for the big push.

The hit list includes:

Advertisement

Clean up engine bay, repaint (surface rust) Boot area, sills. Replace engine mounts (thanks Richo). Carby overhaull, new hoses, clean everything everywhere, New starter (maybe).

Replace wiring loom (purchased) just burnt out the crap wiring that was in it after moving car from one side of shed to the other to high pressure hose off 40 years off crap off the chassis front. ( Interesting to see the chassis and boot panels have a light cream paint work, was the black paint put on later?) trying to get in shed tomorrow with the broom handle trick as burnt out wiring equalled dead D...

Repaint back to original Blanc Meije, I like the idea of the car being back to original appearance, I had it painted an alfa champagne similar to tholonet but not! 14 years ago. Also interior thinking black or Tan targa, has red velour at present which I put in and originally had blue velour but I can't find any authoritative documentation on web showing this was an option, even though it obviously was! Maybe go that direction.

Redo interior floors, door rubbers, sill covers.

Bling new indicators and mirrors.

New steering wheel

Overhaul steering rack

Replace boots on suspension and driveshafts.

Replace body rubbers and bonnet heat/sound insulation.

Hmm what else...

Anyway tomorrow hopefully in the shed and up on stands!

I have been reading everyones threads and hopefully can emulate the quality of work done!

Looking forward to doing this because I love this car!

Steven74 DSpecial Renewal-img_1924.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-img_1926.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 19th August 2013 at 09:35 AM.

mnm

Hi Steven

where is that shed?? (My employer..)

Matthew

1000+ Posts

It's in Darwin, you can tell by my address on posts! We have MVEC Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club here, great bunch with alot of knowledge and... Enthusiasm! Great environment to resuscitate ageing vehicles, many members have bikes. I have just finished my 65 Renault R4L here, but the D is something else! I remembered this after getting behind the wheel the other day, it is a WOW feeling, this is a car... But we know that already ; )

1000+ Posts

Had a little win today, thinking I'd fried the electrics stocked up on broomsticks in order to move into shed, had a look at burnt wiring, the positive from battery had touched the battery holder shorting and frying the earth so made another earth and bingo got into shed. Up on stands and then "Jesus where do I start!". Pull down more offending articles with corrosion for treatment, engine bay is pretty shabby. Haven't got the screwdriver out yet to rust probe, I'm going to find some though. Least I have a good shed to work in care of the club! Bloody brilliant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg  
    Le Parisian likes this.

Good to see you have rolled the car over to get better access
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

1000+ Posts

For some reason photos rotate with iphone uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    For some reason photos rotate with iphone uploads.
    Hi Steven
    Nice car with lots of potential by the looks of it. Welcome to the D world
    I love your Velosolex is it for sale?
    Cheers
    Philippe

74 DSpecial Renewal-74-dspecial-rejuvenation1.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-74-dspecial-rejuvenation2.jpg
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

1000+ Posts

Taking steering rack out today/tomorrow, manual says on LHD to turn wheel to left in procedure, so is that a right for RHD?
    Having fun getting front suspension cylinders out, I have no idea when the boots or bump stops were replaced, if ever....74 DSpecial Renewal-img_2225.jpg

Taking steering rack out today/tomorrow, manual says on LHD to turn wheel to left in procedure, so is that a right for RHD?
    Having fun getting front suspension cylinders out, I have no idea when the boots or bump stops were replaced, if ever....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	46912
    When I removed mine I had the steering set at straight ahead, use a white marker to get good approximate positions for when you re-install. My understanding is that the rack 'set to full left lock' is only required when actually disassembling for rebuild, which is done on the bench.

Good to see you getting stuck in, and what a great space for your project - BTW, I found the D Special armrests if you still need them - just let me know your mailing address and I' drop them in the post

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

I still owe you a bottle of wine Chris for the doors! Pm your address as I lost it. I am hoping to get the rack overhauled, its always looked shabby with a make do repair years ago, theres so much crap on everything in the engine bay, I do enjoy working on this car as I am obsessed with them, saw Phillipes 21 recently, looks superb. You need to mark the position of the clamps on the rack eh?

Via the aussiefrogs App

I still owe you a bottle of wine Chris for the doors! Pm your address as I lost it. I am hoping to get the rack overhauled, its always looked shabby with a make do repair years ago, theres so much crap on everything in the engine bay, I do enjoy working on this car as I am obsessed with them, saw Phillipes 21 recently, looks superb. You need to mark the position of the clamps on the rack eh?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Any reference that allows you to re-install back into the same position (assuming that it was correct when removed) will help (bearing in mind your overhauled rack will no doubt be freshened up with new paint), take measurements of the overhang from the brackets left and right to give you that position, so that the steering column lines up. Getting the correct angle is a little more tricky, I use a dial gauge as the Citroen tool as I understand is only for LHD (could be wrong). It's important that the dog and column line up both horizontally and to the angle to the column.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

As an additional crude "wheel alignment", or at least to get it back to the same as before dismantling, I used a straight edge across both front wheel rims and marked where they meet the jacking points. That way you can get the toe in set up before you re-engage the relay splines.
    Michael

1000+ Posts

Ok having merde temp getting the front suspension cylinders out, they just won't get through the bloomin hole, what is going wrong?

Yours deeply embarrassed,

Steven

Turn out the holding screws so the holding points are not in the way.

Hold your tongue in the right spot, then turn and twist the cylinders, they will come out.
    Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get it just right.
    Remember, they went in, they'll come out.

Replacing them too can be a challenge. the key is getting the clearance for the inlet pipe nib.

1000+ Posts

I was thinking a French man got them in there so an Australian should be able to get them out. Bof!

DS

You have removed the extension pieces the spheres screw into I hope?
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

1000+ Posts

I have not DS, are you talking about the end piece (catalogue part 14) on the sphere?

Whipped the steering rack out with relative ease, reinstalling is not going to be so easy I expect.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-22.8.13engine.jpg

ps this imagre loading is fascinating, first upload, image upsiddown , so I saved original on desktop upsidedown reloaded and voila, upside down again! Rsaved original as original and reloaded, uploaded as right way up. I give up trying to figure it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-screen-shot-2013-08-23-1.28.56-pm.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-22.8.13engine.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-22.8.13engine.jpg  
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 23rd August 2013 at 02:15 PM.

DS

Without unscrewing that extension you will never remove the cylinder. It unscrews like the sphere. There is an o-ring the same as the sphere one in there.

An important point to note when re-installiung the cylinder. Don't bolt it in firm with the securing bolts. It is meant to be secured but still wobble loose in the housing.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

1000+ Posts

Yes I was staring at the extension thinking that needs to go! Should keep my trail of colourful language up anyhows, cheers

Steven

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, your pictures of the old Parap hangar brought back memories. I was based in Darwin with DCA from 1971 t0 1975 and my building maintenance team were based there as well as the mechanics and the store. Good to see that it is still there and being put to good use.
    All the best for your restoration. My DS21 is Blanc Meije and has some cream painted bits on the underside of the chassis too.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

1000+ Posts

Don you might have known Trevor Feehan who was a founding member of our club? He sadly passed away earlier this year. I know he worked here for DCA for many years.
    Got the extensions off the cylinders, one was friendly the other... both needed a very large tool to unscrew. The steering rack came out smoothly, bit of jiggling, off to Qld in post for recon. It needs a serious clean up there is 40 years of crap all over it. Engine rebuild is lurking in my thoughts now. Turn it into a DSuper!

Fellow Frogger!

Don you might have known Trevor Feehan who was a founding member of our club? He sadly passed away earlier this year. I know he worked here for DCA for many years.
    Got the extensions off the cylinders, one was friendly the other... both needed a very large tool to unscrew. The steering rack came out smoothly, bit of jiggling, off to Qld in post for recon. It needs a serious clean up there is 40 years of crap all over it. Engine rebuild is lurking in my thoughts now. Turn it into a DSuper!
    Yes, I certainly knew Trevor. Sad to hear that he has gone. As you know he worked for DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation- for those who did not know) in that very building. I long ago lost touch with anyone else from DCA there unfortunately.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

1000+ Posts

Well only a little progress lately, apart from a nice recon steering rack from Pleiades heading my way, I replaced the water pump years ago but pipes on both the pump and housing are very corroded. They're coming off, I was trying to move the pump out off the housing bolts but a thing called a camshaft pulley is blocking the clearance, is it ok to remove the pulley or am I going to create havoc with the pushrods and shaft. It sits on a spline too so thats going to need some persuasion surely? Dumb questions I guess but I reach a logic deficit point and fear any rash attempt will result in tragedy!

Well only a little progress lately, apart from a nice recon steering rack from Pleiades heading my way, I replaced the water pump years ago but pipes on both the pump and housing are very corroded. They're coming off, I was trying to move the pump out off the housing bolts but a thing called a camshaft pulley is blocking the clearance, is it ok to remove the pulley or am I going to create havoc with the pushrods and shaft. It sits on a spline too so thats going to need some persuasion surely? Dumb questions I guess but I reach a logic deficit point and fear any rash attempt will result in tragedy!
    Steve, remove the studs and the waterpump will ease out no problems

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information