74 DSpecial Renewal - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 13 First 12345612 ... Last
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 74 DSpecial Renewal

1000+ Posts

I am a bloody thicko, must be going troppo ( again...) I seriously could not remember how I got the pump off last time. Groan.

Advertisement
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 16th September 2013 at 08:29 PM.

1000+ Posts

74 DSpecial Renewal-img_2298.jpg
    As I expected this engine is far from happy, years ago I managed to cook the head and had it repaired, the bolts were never tightened up again however, I think this engine is coming out! Might as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg  
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 19th September 2013 at 10:38 AM.

1000+ Posts

Whilst I'm pointing out faults here's another which might inspire anyone to see if their engine mounts ( unless it's your H frame) are not in a good state!
    See if you can access the fourth cylinder plug tube from the scuttle hole with a plug socket...
    luckily I have you beaut Richo mounts with which to solve this little dilemma, hoping the chassis hasn't cracked...

1000+ Posts

Found the perfect humidity solution

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Found the perfect humidity solution

Assuming you drill a hole in the cork rather than just shove the pipe in - at the risk of getting small fragments of cork in the hydraulics.

1000+ Posts

Yes all done carefully, aware of cork residue getting in but as long as no one comes along and buggers round with it all good, I'll probably blow air through them anyway, hoping to pull motor out in next week, get it on a stand, want to have rebuilt by end of January, getting bit bloody hot here unfortunately

1000+ Posts

The engine came out today, no dramas on hoist, the downpipe on the exhaust was a shit ( as I always read : ) ) ended up sawing off a nut with a dremel... Found some curious things, exhaust and inlet manifolds not tight, timing chain cover all bolts nuts virtually finger tight, might explain the anount of crap from a to breakfast all over the place, and a blocked passage in the head in jacket, crudded up. Took it local super revhead Peter Mc Iver to see what needs to be done to keep it happy, it wasn 't as bad as I thought it might be. Still tomorrow will see how crap rings/pistons are, I'm still daydreaming of 21 pistons. Couldn't loosen the dizzie, fear it is corroded on, anyone have a suggestion how to free it up kindly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Separated the gearbox yesterday, took most things off, distributor freed after some energetic wrangling, a piece landed on the deck which I have yet to identify, looks camish! But what? Guesses for entertainment...

Icon11

Separated the gearbox yesterday, took most things off, distributor freed after some energetic wrangling, a piece landed on the deck which I have yet to identify, looks camish! But what? Guesses for entertainment...
    I've no idea, but if we are guessing it looks like a pin to set TDC (hole is just under where the alternator sits on the gearbox housing) and has been lost when last used

Going well there Steve

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Is it 6mm is diameter
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I'm not near it at present but what are you thinking? : think it was closer to 8mm
    while I'm gassing on, the timing chain is probably worth changing , new tensioner and guide looking at the distance the tensioning block has gone out, couldn't be much more distance left in it
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 23rd October 2013 at 12:20 PM.

I'm not near it at present but what are you thinking? : think it was closer to 8mm
    The TDC set pin is 6mm, as is the corresponding hole on the flywheel, if the pin you have is 6mm there is a good chance you have a useful addition to your toolbox

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

UFO

while I'm gassing on, the timing chain is probably worth changing , new tensioner and guide looking at the distance the tensioning block has gone out, couldn't be much more distance left in it

You're looking at it - you may as well change it rather than find out later you should have.

1000+ Posts

Figured out the random piece posted previously. Its the cam piece for the fuel pump. Stripped down the block some more, the parts bill is rising,
    new water pump and head connection
    new cam followers, a few as worn,
    new pistons/sleeves/liners
    gasket set obviously
    new timing chain
    new tensioner
    new guide
    seals,
    filters
    hoses
    clutch plate (shagged)
    its going up, bolts nuts studs
    btw does anybody have ball joint removers prepared to lend, I've figured it would be much easier to whip off the hubs and do shafts all together and then plonk straight back in, not sure if I need a steering arm ball joint remover, probably, i think theres a ball joint there!
    if you have these tools and are ok to lend I would get them back pretty quickly,
    costs rising!
    ah the results though, it's going to be totally shmick!

1000+ Posts

Just for confusion I looked at the Nuancierds site by Yves and the paint for BOTH LHM components and engine blocks plus assorted parts is AC 502. However as he has communicated to me the blocks seem to come out a different tone. So there you go, can of worms. I had a look at 73 model options too and DSpecials were available in a colour I REALLY like, Bleu de Orient, with Meije roof and tabac targa, it's a really nice scheme.

Icon6

Just for confusion I looked at the Nuancierds site by Yves and the paint for BOTH LHM components and engine blocks plus assorted parts is AC 502. However as he has communicated to me the blocks seem to come out a different tone. So there you go, can of worms. I had a look at 73 model options too and DSpecials were available in a colour I REALLY like, Bleu de Orient, with Meije roof and tabac targa, it's a really nice scheme.
    Me too Steve, Bleu de Orient can look stunning. I'm battling with myself, stay with Bleu Lagoon or de Orient

For panels and prep de Orient would require more work like black very unforgiving of any imperfections, I also prefer for the roof to be the same colour on a D but that's just me

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-_pqf6177.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-bleu-de-orient3.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

It looks unreal, so the question I struggle with is go original or make it a really cool colour and possibly raise its value as well. What do you think of AC502 vs 501 info, Yves is the genius! It would be good to get the specs right .

1000+ Posts

74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpgThis photo has me scratching my head, interesting to see the whole engine being fitted, note the suspension is in place, how the blazes they could access the engine mount bolts is the thing that gets (to) me!
    Maybe because its a leftie?

It looks unreal, so the question I struggle with is go original or make it a really cool colour and possibly raise its value as well. What do you think of AC502 vs 501 info, Yves is the genius! It would be good to get the specs right .
    Resale value is not a consideration for me, I have no plans to sell my car - I might be leaning more toward authentic than original, there is not much left on my car that is original. Bleu de Orient is a colour that was used and correct for the year models and if I could go back to that time and was choosing a colour for my 'new' D I would no doubt have chosen de Orient over Lagoon. Still undecided, with the black vinyl sunroof the darker colour has even more appeal, a decision I need to make before I paint my roof.

With regard to greens for hydraulics and engine there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, especially with the hydraulic components. I've seen genuine original parts in varying shades (steering racks/ pumps and spheres all different on the same car) but that is just my own experience. If there is a consensus it appears to favour satin 502 for the hydraulics and 501 for the engine.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

That could start an argument tres grande with M.Yves!

That could start an argument tres grande with M.Yves!
    I'm up for it

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

Flick him an email via his site, he's quite amiable!

Flick him an email via his site, he's quite amiable!
    It's not that important to me, if it were a concern I would obviously be as pedantic with the rest of the car, and I'm certainly not!

I do though admire those that can carry through with this depth of detail

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

Yep all good fun

Icon6

Steve,
    This is possibly one of the better preserved original DS we have access to on the net.

DS 23 Pallas 1973 (19 151 Km)

Even given the lighting conditions I can easily discern at least 3 different greens in this pic, close but they are certainly different. . .

. . .but yes, all good fun

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-hydraulic-green.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 2 of 13 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread Information