74 DSpecial Renewal - Page 14
  • Register
  • Help
Page 14 of 15 First ... 4101112131415 Last
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: 74 DSpecial Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Would love to see what RHD switch looks like Chris to make comparison, and if yours has the add on later fuse and where to-

Cheers
    Steven
    Not much to show that I haven't described in my earlier post but here you go. . .

Advertisement

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-plug1.jpg   74 DSpecial Renewal-plug2.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

That’s helpful Chris, much obliged, it proves the one I have is correct! Just have to figure out why it doesn’t want to give me two speeds, the wiring is correct on the motor. Thanks.
    GreenBlood likes this.

So I achieved normal and fast wiper plus Pumpy McPumpface. The sleeve colours on the new loom wires were the damn problem.
    Check this out!
    74 DSpecial Renewal-0f6cc138-7d30-48f6-817f-24794762e4ea.jpg

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

So I achieved normal and fast wiper plus Pumpy McPumpface. The sleeve colours on the new loom wires were the damn problem.
    Check this out!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F6CC138-7D30-48F6-817F-24794762E4EA.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	103384
    Like I always say- usually something simple and stupid. In this case, very stupid. Mistakes happen, but you need to catch them before the harness is taped up and sent off.

Well done, Steven.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Oh dear. I hope that's a one-off mistake. I've taken delivery of a new loom ordered via Citroen Classics but i suspect made by "Old-timer Electrique".

I could just take the motor wires off and replace according to the colours for connection but am I bovvered?
    The curly one Budge was realising the loom I bought (and Bill navigated me through this) the loom needed an extra wire to the switch to the battery as otherwise it had no power! It took awhile for thhe penny to drop on that. Also late cars had a spade connection for the main loom to front harnesses, the one I had made just used bullet connections, no biggy but for authenticity this detail would have been nice. Is the one you have LHD or RHD? I imagine they are more accurate with European versions.

I could just take the motor wires off and replace according to the colours for connection but am I bovvered?
    The curly one Budge was realising the loom I bought (and Bill navigated me through this) the loom needed an extra wire to the switch to the battery as otherwise it had no power! It took awhile for thhe penny to drop on that. Also late cars had a spade connection for the main loom to front harnesses, the one I had made just used bullet connections, no biggy but for authenticity this detail would have been nice. Is the one you have LHD or RHD? I imagine they are more accurate with European versions.
    The wire as well as the color sleeves are supposed to match up. If you want to do that, I would swap the red and blue at the switch connector so you can get the wiring matched up at the motor.

Sent from my LGLS755 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    GreenBlood and forumnoreason like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    The wire as well as the color sleeves are supposed to match up. If you want to do that, I would swap the red and blue at the switch connector so you can get the wiring matched up at the motor.

Had the same thought Bill, from what I can understand of the wiring diagram the power should be switched via ignition and comes from the instrument cluster yellow wire /mauve sleeve - would that be correct?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-wiring-wiper-switch.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Pretty much. From IIRC the red fuse, into the ignition switch, then out to the wiper switch.

ok logic is defeafing me here again dudes. The wires out of the switch are done with rivets ya?Can’t mess with those. So the wires going from the dash connection are correct with colour coding; the problem then stems from the system only working in my case that those wires are actually wrong, blue should be red and vice versa so the only way to solve is flip the wires on the motor to match what is going in. So what I’m saying is someone used the wrong colour to start with on the loom they made, as the connections will only work with the wrong coloured wires from the connection. ? Am I am stupid OR stupid amd mad... I prefer option 2!

I am a few beers closer to option 2 at present too.
    nt reno likes this.

ok logic is defeafing me here again dudes. The wires out of the switch are done with rivets ya?Can’t mess with those. So the wires going from the dash connection are correct with colour coding; the problem then stems from the system only working in my case that those wires are actually wrong, blue should be red and vice versa so the only way to solve is flip the wires on the motor to match what is going in. So what I’m saying is someone used the wrong colour to start with on the loom they made, as the connections will only work with the wrong coloured wires from the connection. ? Am I am stupid OR stupid amd mad... I prefer option 2!

I am a few beers closer to option 2 at present too.
    Easier to swap red and blue at the switch multiplug? Won't colour match the loom multiplug but won't be as visible as mismatched colours at the motor. . .

If I had paid for a late D RHD loom I'd be miffed too - thinking out loud you say you have a LHD switch flipped could this be where things have gone spooky?

Cheers
    Chris
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

NO!! Don't pull the wires off the switch, you will destroy it. Chris has it exactly right- pull the wires out of the harness side of the connector and swap those wires, then go to the motor and color match the wiring. Your only drawback with this is you'll need to remember what you did is it ever comes time to replace the switch, so you don't send yourself over the edge wondering why the colors don't match.

Do you know how to pick the wires out of that connector? It's pretty easy, just takes a jeweler's flat bladed screwdriver and a bit of patience.

BTW, Steven- don't feel stupid. You didn't make that mistake- someone who allegedly knows all about the electrical systems on a D did, and you paid good money for it. I wouldn't be mad. I would be explosively pissed off. This kind of poor attention to detail starts fires.

Ha ha, I’m going to spray paint the wires the opposing colours. No I’m not. Yes I agreeThe simple solution would be to flip the wires at connector and I know how to manipulate them out of the sockets, I bought the LHD switch as I noted the connector had 4 wires and just figured thats what I want on a switch, without being clued in there are only 3 terminal wires coming off motor. Poor observation.

I could strip the harness in that direction OR flip the wires but tampering with switch would prove I was insane/completely stupid.

Btw the orientation of wires out of switch to plug connection to motor are exactly the same for a LHD and RHD switch except of course a LHD version has the white park connection from switch.
    burp.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 12th February 2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

After checking and rechecking and checking all connections again I finally solved why the new Gelbon reverse lamps didn’t work. They didn’t have bulbs in them did they! I kinda expected they would but there was nothing to suggest in the online purchase page this little detail would be absent.
    L’ennui dissolves.
    All electrics appear to be sorted.

After checking and rechecking and checking all connections again I finally solved why the new Gelbon reverse lamps didn’t work. They didn’t have bulbs in them did they! I kinda expected they would but there was nothing to suggest in the online purchase page this little detail would be absent. L’ennui dissolves. All electrics appear to be sorted.
    Delicious and thanks for sharing! None of us would miss that of course...... Good it is sorted.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

After checking and rechecking and checking all connections again I finally solved why the new Gelbon reverse lamps didn’t work. They didn’t have bulbs in them did they! I kinda expected they would but there was nothing to suggest in the online purchase page this little detail would be absent.
    L’ennui dissolves.
    All electrics appear to be sorted.

Steven, repeat with me "The Two Basic Rules For Electricity":
    1) You must hook it up.
    -- Corollary 1a) All components must be present in their correct locations.
    2) You must turn it on.

If you violate either of these two rules, no amount of headscratching will solve the problem.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

It was a lightbulb moment Bill when I realised this small detail might be the crux of the problem.

My next little job is to reset the rear height as you can see in the video it is way up after refitting the rear arms and bar, height levers.

But I'm not sure how to best go about it and a bit fuzzy on the dimensions being given in the manual, like what measurement belongs to what! I would have thought start it up, get it to normal position, slacken off height corrector linkage with a jack underneath, get the ground clearance to torsion bar right and tighten up again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbom...ature=youtu.be

74 DSpecial Renewal-screen-shot-2018-02-14-11.25.29-am.png

ok got it now Op.D.430-0 in 814-1 10 just loosen height corrector clamp and rotate till my specially cut stick hits the bar and tighten.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 14th February 2018 at 01:11 PM.

I have been tres lackadaisical in filling out my restoration thread form as I leap onto the cit forum to ask questions and tear my hair out figuring out stumpy problems, however the car is now registered and after a quick spin and back to the shed for some advance correction she is on the road and moving. Had issues with the loom and alternator as some might know and of course been invloved in providing suggestions for resolution, I whipped the accumulator regulator out and replaced seals as I found the seals were worn and I had leaks, no more leaks now and it wasn't just the sphere seal giving grief. I also manged to make up alternative solution to crappy repro front muffler rubber supports when tackling the lower manifold support bracket job from hell using old radiator rubbers and exhaust studs, much better, more stable. All to do now is get the doors and panels to a better fit, put the catches in the sills for the rear doors, put the door cards back on, put the sill covers on, boot labels and chevrons back on, give the underneath a decent clean and repaint with anti stone chip paint. Set up the dynamic headlight mechanisms. The roof might get a coat of paint later too as the 'professional' job done years ago bubbled early and was never happy with that. So coming close to another resto thread to be filed away as finished hopefully. THANKYOU to all those who chimed in with help and encouragement so far, it's been an epic journey filled with obsession and fiscal anxiety. I started off with "failure is not an option" and stuck to this doggedly, ( dodgedly?) for over 4 years and it was definitely a pleasure, somewhat nervously that I drove the car for the first time properly yesterday but feeling confident that it wouldn't throw any typical Citroën 40 year plus antics at me for the near future.
    Next challenge sort the GS out but that is not getting any cosmetic attention, fix mechanical problem and back in, no sandblasting permitted!
    Cheers Steven

74 DSpecial Renewal-10c06707-1e57-49b8-8fac-b88b3f59e5f9.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-af52f218-5c1a-4be2-86c8-f2a73c84c852.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-ec01cb9b-4d7b-46b1-952e-c5dacecf2733.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-76b45bbb-7dd4-4116-8295-ee3db05d2a55.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-cd55642a-fd17-401f-9014-8e02ac840958.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-be1b9124-8ca3-4c09-9b56-ecb8a1b18773.jpg  
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 6th May 2018 at 12:11 PM.
    David S, GreenBlood and tresbon2 like this.

Icon12

Congratulations Steven, big effort and looking great

Coming into winter so plenty of good driving weather

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

thanks Chris, really appreciate what a great resource AF is. Couldn't have got this far without the help I have gathered here.

Fellow Frogger

Is this the point where we query the headlight bucket colour or the correctness of the nameplate to be applied???
    forumnoreason likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I have been tres lackadaisical in filling out my restoration thread form as I leap onto the cit forum to ask questions and tear my hair out figuring out stumpy problems, however the car is now registered and after a quick spin and back to the shed for some advance correction she is on the road and moving. Had issues with the loom and alternator as some might know and of course been invloved in providing suggestions for resolution, I whipped the accumulator regulator out and replaced seals as I found the seals were worn and I had leaks, no more leaks now and it wasn't just the sphere seal giving grief. I also manged to make up alternative solution to crappy repro front muffler rubber supports when tackling the lower manifold support bracket job from hell using old radiator rubbers and exhaust studs, much better, more stable. All to do now is get the doors and panels to a better fit, put the catches in the sills for the rear doors, put the door cards back on, put the sill covers on, boot labels and chevrons back on, give the underneath a decent clean and repaint with anti stone chip paint. Set up the dynamic headlight mechanisms. The roof might get a coat of paint later too as the 'professional' job done years ago bubbled early and was never happy with that. So coming close to another resto thread to be filed away as finished hopefully. THANKYOU to all those who chimed in with help and encouragement so far, it's been an epic journey filled with obsession and fiscal anxiety. I started off with "failure is not an option" and stuck to this doggedly, ( dodgedly?) for over 4 years and it was definitely a pleasure, somewhat nervously that I drove the car for the first time properly yesterday but feeling confident that it wouldn't throw any typical Citroën 40 year plus antics at me for the near future.
    Next challenge sort the GS out but that is not getting any cosmetic attention, fix mechanical problem and back in, no sandblasting permitted!
    Cheers Steven

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10C06707-1E57-49B8-8FAC-B88B3F59E5F9.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	105743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF52F218-5C1A-4BE2-86C8-F2A73C84C852.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	105744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC01CB9B-4D7B-46B1-952E-C5DACECF2733.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	105747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76B45BBB-7DD4-4116-8295-EE3DB05D2A55.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	105748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD55642A-FD17-401F-9014-8E02AC840958.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	105746
    Love the oh so discrete number plate!
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Tadpole

well done Steven; congratulations!

It's been an entertaining and informative ride watching the restoration from the sidelines. And you should be very proud.

- Nigel
    forumnoreason likes this.

No choice with historic plates except for characters sadly, bureaucratic committee brilliance no doubt, ideally they would be white on black,very much like what the old NT plates were. Do I have the energy to lobby?
    if Souflé behaves herself she might get graded to full rego and more tasteful plates!
    ps just watched Ab Fab actors do a show on champagne and Eddie lady drove what I assume was a DSuper, had a leather interior and full sun roof, ah to roll along the B roads in France in a nice D. One day...
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 6th May 2018 at 09:30 PM.
    ramonm likes this.

Page 14 of 15 First ... 4101112131415 Last

Thread Information