74 DSpecial Renewal - Page 11
  • Register
  • Help
Page 11 of 14 First ... 7891011121314 Last
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 74 DSpecial Renewal

1000+ Posts

I'm not near the car! But you the man yo' I will be near the beast soonish but work has just loaded, freelancing. Last to know first to go.
    Its a Christian Fahring special made up as export RHD so all good there except I kicked like a mule after paying him upfront then he wouldn't complete it until I coughed up the VAT which he only introduced into the deal afterwards, that really got me going. I mentioned tax authorities to him at one point. He had me over the proverbial barrel so to speak, thanks for doing the cavalry on this Bill will set up and proceed asap! Cheers Steven

ps the colour code for fuse is painted in enamel, one yellow one green and one white. Yes not original but easier to pull a spade out as the ends fold out.

heres the loom diagram as supplied which really is borderline useless...
    the lawn is now mowed but the pool is going greenish! Humidity. It is not kind to my books either.

Advertisement

74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 8th December 2015 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post

heres the loom diagram as supplied which really is borderline useless...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	77861
    Perhaps not, it's the only 6 - 2 fuse diagram I can recall seeing, would be good to get a clearer copy though. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

That's one hell of a starting point. I've never seen that diagram before. A clearer, larger version would be easier to read. I can figure out the circuit numbering with just a little sleuthing. Once you figure that and the wire schedule out, it becomes pretty easy to understand.

ps the colour code for fuse is painted in enamel, one yellow one green and one white. Yes not original but easier to pull a spade out as the ends fold out.
    Just so long as he marked them, you're OK. I'm just scratching my head, wondering where he gets his materials. I've tried buying from him, and he's "politely" refused.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 7th December 2015 at 08:52 PM.
    GreenBlood and forumnoreason like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

That is bizarre, you're seeing that from the German language manual, not the French or English versions. OTOH, I don't think that's for a right hook car, it just looks appropriate.

I gotta go do some rooting around. This has GOT to be out there on the Web.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

gee I wonder if Christian has one? A better copy that is, I'll rummage sround and see what I can find, I didn't even notice originally it was a scheme for what must be euro car, just the fuses were enough for my small brain. I posted this awhile back Chris with the starting lead problems I was having, if I'd looked a bit harder the answer was right there in front of me. Being an electrical novice though I exonerate myself, seems to be the fashion these days!

you'd think someone in zuK would have correct diagram if they exist at all...

you'd think someone in zuK would have correct diagram if they exist at all...
    You could talk to Faehrig, maybe he has better.

Might be worth asking Darrin Brownhill at Citroen Classics. He tends to be quite helpful.

I know nothing exists for the later US cars apart from what I've put together.

And no, I'm not letting you off that easily. Nose to the grindstone and all that!

1000+ Posts

I don't wish to communicate with the German in a hurry. Have emailed Darrin : ) This is the warning loom I purchased btw, from guess who??

74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpeg

Darrin- good chap,

Hi Steven,

Sorry, I've never been able to find a RHD diagram. I'm not sure such a thing exists!
    The colours and wire numbers are mostly the same as the LHD versions though, so you can usually work it out from there.

Let me know the problem you are having and maybe I can help.

Kind Regards,
    Darrin
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 8th December 2015 at 07:43 PM.

I was finally able to put the diagram in my photo editor. The result is not optimal. The clarity of the print is really bad, very difficult to read. The second thing is the print is from a later style of diagram that Citroen used. The one that you need is a "flow chart" type of diagram that goes with this. Yours gives only approximate locations in the car and the color sleeves. The ones a couple of years before this would have given the circuit numbers, which correspond to the wire schedule telling you what the complete circuit is.

I can suss this out, but it's going to take some time.

1000+ Posts

yes that flow chart is where the brain wants to go. Bloody loom diagrams that tell you sfa are a payne in ther bart!

I'll find the sheet Fahrig sent and do a high res scan tonight.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 10th December 2015 at 02:17 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hey Bill, indicator problem solved. : ) spent 6 hours mucking around with test lamps and this and that, gave up, thought ok try a two pin can on it, this three pin business is insane and bingo it worked. Next challenge getting hold of a hazard warning switch and plugging that into the loom, it should fit (somehow). Thankyou btw for your forensic input, I was stumped from the word go with the test on the green switch wires, I could only get them to perform crossing a wire straight across the ignition feed to them, at one point I had the interior lights and indicators flashing like a christmas tree then I imagine that may have caused several fuses to go! Ha ha. Strewth. ( look up strewth if you don't what it means!). You'll be saying it all the time whenever you read a Steven post...
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 15th January 2016 at 10:58 PM.

1000+ Posts

here is the diagram! If anyone wants a clearer version, this one is reduced from 4MB down to 863kb I am happy to email. So PM. It corresponds roughly to one of the diagrams in the workshop manual so you can identify what the part is. I'll try and find which diagram that is too. Most parts are fairly obvious luckily.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-d510-17-ex-wiring-diagram.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 17th January 2016 at 09:35 PM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

1000+ Posts

Spent a few hours swapping a LHD windscreen control unit over to fit RHD. There are two differences with these, one the two mounts for the steering binnacle and two the arms themselves are orientated 180" opposite. I wanted to use a LHD switch with the same arm and RHD mounts. The arms have a flat edge on the end for fitting the knob so they are actually different castings. In order to use the LHD arm the knob needs some alteration to allow it to fit onto the arm. The photos below show the difference between a LHD (on the left) and a RHD unit. Note the RHD unit is I think off a GS as it has only three wires but otherwise the same.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4680.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4681.jpg

Now in order to use the LHD stalk it has to be taken off and then turned around 180". So first the knob is removed by levering off the small plate which fits into the back of the knob from the end, prised off in this case with a razor blade. Next simply pull the knob away from the lever arm as it will become apparent when removed the arm has a flat profile which corresponds with the inside of the knob.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4682.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4683.jpg

Next the unit mounts come off, a dremmel with a cutting blade is best to grind off the tops of the 3 rivets holding them (and the unit) together, taking note of the orientation of the RHD and LHD mounts when putting back together. The mounts are again mirror versions of each other so completely individual. Care is taken to maintain the ball bearing and spring which holds the switch settings in place, these can be lightly regreased on reassembly.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4684.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4685.jpg
    I found the best way to remove the arm from the switch was to have the case open and putting the arm in a vice with some padding (aluminium) and padding the plastic end of the arm case with some ply and then getting some vice grips around the plastic and really quietly turning it, it only takes say a 1/12 of a turn to get the movement, then it can be gently turned off by hand until separated. I practised on the old unit first to see what could go wrong but no problems. I also ran the arm over a buffer prior to putting in vice for some heat but I don't think it is critical to successfully taking the arm off.

74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4686.jpg

Next because using a LHD arm in a RHD set up the arm needs to be rotated over 180" and then because the flat end of the arm is going to be facing the wrong way, the inside of the knob was filed to cut back the flat profile, it didn't need to right back to a cylinder profile as having an irregular surface proved suitable to push the knob back on and make it a tight fit, supplemented with the flat back back also.

Refitting the arm is simply push back into plastic, I used Loctite glue but on second thoughts I would not use glue as it doesn't actually need it, its a very tight fit. Still it won't be coming loose any time soon!
    I'll probably give the stalk a wipe with some Canubra wax to halt the previous corrosion on it, I could have had it rechromed but didn't consider it necessary really : ) Besides I just wanted to get it done.

Before refitting the knob pieces they were given a rinse in hot solution with mild detergent followed by wet and dry sand with 2000 and graphics filled in with a white opaque marker. Bit more sanding to remove edges of marker paint and buff with dremmel using cutting compound, plastic polish would have been better perhaps but came up ok. The plastic was transformed considerably from sun faded brown to greyish black.
    From there using 1/8" screws with nuts and washers (salvaged from the rivets) the job is done. Looks reasonable and now I have two speed wiper control and a washer unit that squirts!
    74 DSpecial Renewal-img_4687.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 31st January 2016 at 03:58 PM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

1000+ Posts

Just fitted new mirrors and surrounds to Cipere 54 door mirrors. I chose the Retrospec 'MirrorCool' lenses as the housings and arms were in reasonable condition and the cost was less than replacing with whole units. Retrospec in UK are easy and friendly to deal with.
    The lenses are new current industry standard and are convex and slightly tinted, from their blurb.
    Now alot of patience and dexterity is required to fit these babies, I could say it was a 'mirroracle' I managed to get them on, the trick seems to include bending the frame of the housing out equally on all sides just enough to enable the lenses plus rubber to pop into place. The first two attempts I just got cross and left it. I came back to it in a better framecof mind and after about ten goes at adjusting the space on the housing with some pliers managed to put one on, about 40 minutes fiddling! The next one I did in about 20 minutes. Patience is the key. Happy with result they should prove useful and look the part now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg  

Fellow Frogger

Yes, they are a fiddle to fit in, but very worthwhile and the new surround looks so much better than the broken bits of plastic usually seen. I know someone in Sydney is really good at doing this after popping them in and out a couple of times after not adjusting the ball tension first time around. Some models of mirror do not have external adjustment. I should rent him out!

Do you need that hazard switch???

1000+ Posts

Ah hazard switch business! Big question David is does it have four pins on it?
    The sooner I have the D going I can stop relying on the xantia which is trying to tell me its tired of existing!

1000+ Posts

I found this but not sure if it was in my Renault R4 or in the DSpecial.

what does it refer to one wonders? I know its door/paint or fabric related of course!

Hi Steven,

DSpecial seat material tag - no idea what it means, sorry...

Cheers,

Mark...

1000+ Posts

And at the end of this round Mark is on 1/2 a point!
    ds21bvh likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Ah hazard switch business! Big question David is does it have four pins on it?
    The sooner I have the D going I can stop relying on the xantia which is trying to tell me its tired of existing!
    4 poles on the back, three with two spades. No silver surround, just the hazard triangle. Will fit a 20 x 30mm opening.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for offer David. I drifted off there somewhere and ended up in Indonesia. Just had the door cards redone by a fellow for the grand total of $40. Had to pay double the quote due to religious holidays and my etd clashing. Came up beautifully. I tracked down a button on leboncoin, has the graphic for arrows - 4 arrows on button and is I think a later switch, the ad said dernier model so assume is right, DSpecials didn't have these of course but I think hazards are an important device and the space for the demister switch can be used as the rear demister won't be working again I don't think since no idea who would fix one round here!
    just doing surgery on regulator return line on xantia and having a break, sweating like a pig.. thought I'd load up shot of nice redone door cards, huge thankyou to Chris, Ken in Sydney and Peter and Mr Agung in Bali!

xantia now behaving properly again and no green liquid on the floor. For now.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 28th February 2016 at 08:36 PM.
    bleudanube and GreenBlood like this.

Fabric's come up well there Steven. Nice colour fit with the grey arm rest support. Can't wait to see the whole job.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for offer David. I drifted off there somewhere and ended up in Indonesia. Just had the door cards redone by a fellow for the grand total of $40. Had to pay double the quote due to religious holidays and my etd clashing. Came up beautifully. I tracked down a button on leboncoin, has the graphic for arrows - 4 arrows on button and is I think a later switch, the ad said dernier model so assume is right, DSpecials didn't have these of course but I think hazards are an important device and the space for the demister switch can be used as the rear demister won't be working again I don't think since no idea who would fix one round here!
    just doing surgery on regulator return line on xantia and having a break, sweating like a pig.. thought I'd load up shot of nice redone door cards, huge thankyou to Chris, Ken in Sydney and Peter and Mr Agung in Bali!

Views:	168 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	81019

xantia now behaving properly again and no green liquid on the floor. For now.

1000+ Posts

Slowly slowly Ken. Yes a new interior will be great! In the meantime I have resolved the hazard switch conundrum with (almost) new bouton de detresse - hazard switch set up, from Leboncoin vendor (via a friend) and made up two earth straps for the bonnet, not sure if they were original kit, vaguely remember tatty remnants of one when I purchased the car 17 years ago! Has it been so long? yes.
    Even better I managed to get hold of a compteur from France with a hazard signal light. Looking forward to having dash back in soonish. Finally.
    74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 3rd April 2016 at 05:56 AM.

Slowly slowly Ken. Yes a new interior will be great! In the meantime I have resolved the hazard switch conundrum with (almost) new bouton de detresse - hazard switch set up, from Leboncoin vendor (via a friend) and made up two earth straps for the bonnet, not sure if they were original kit, vaguely remember tatty remnants of one when I purchased the car 17 years ago! Has it been so long? yes.
    Even better I managed to get hold of a compteur from France with a hazard signal light. Looking forward to having dash back in soonish. Finally.

Views:	136 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	81973Click image for larger version. 

Views:	137 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	81974Click image for larger version. 

Views:	109 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	82562
    Too late for you but I've just noticed Citroen Classics UK list that switch £12.60, much easier to deal with Darrin than Leboncoin for those following in your footsteps. . .
    Hazard light switch

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Yep too late Chris, good spotting though! I think mine was cheaper as it was €25 including postage, I have a french connection who happily has done a few purchases on my behalf, not pushing his patience however. Leboncoin has some very tasty D morsels on it, like hundreds of things, and a bonnet in France is worth pittance compared to here for instance. If someone was to set up a buying service for OS D tragics, in fact any French car bits and charge a small commission they would have a good little side income.
    My resto work has ground to a halt as it is simply too hot to work on cars. I slogged it out on the xantia yesterday and am still feeling tired from the effort! It has been close to record temps here since January I believe, my excuse and sticking to it. Doors I 'electrolysised' still out in open uncoated2 weeks and hardly any new corrosion evident on them, have to do a few welds and replace two of those inside lower door rubber holding strips on, then paint.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 3rd April 2016 at 04:51 PM.
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpgOk the 'compteur/ dash gauge unit arrived, took the water temp gauge out to stick in the new one ( which is actually a first 3rd nose set- different tacho and speedometer, and voila confronted with metal plate cover inside unit that blanks off the little temperature gauge window. Any suggestions on how to extract as the white plastic cases on the inside are as fragile as egg shells.
    The older versions of dash are much more snazzy than the later ones too, better finish, this one I have now is almost like new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74 DSpecial Renewal-image.jpg  
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 21st April 2016 at 01:42 PM.

Page 11 of 14 First ... 7891011121314 Last

Thread Information