Christian's R10S - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Christian's R10S

Fellow Frogger!

A long way off paint.... Too many other things have been getting in the way and I haven't done much in the last 6 weeks, this week end though I intend on finishing the drivers side headlight surround and bits around it. The GF is away this weekend so I should get more done.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I've actually done some work. The drivers side headlight surround wasn't as bad as the other side. I has to stick part of it on by brazing as there was no way I was going to mig or tig it, just impossible to get to.

The drivers side a pillar, well it looks like its been patched before as along the sill there was a thin layer of filler under the paint. Unless they left the factory like that?

Luckily the part that holds the door hinges is intact but only really attached at the bottom which means I'll have to attached the replacement panel in two parts as I don't want to remove anymore from it just in case it comes off.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christian's R10S-uploadfromtaptalk1380344705242.jpg   Christian's R10S-uploadfromtaptalk1380344727942.jpg   Christian's R10S-uploadfromtaptalk1380344765669.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

The first part of the new pillar is done. Its only one side but it will hold everything in place when I cut the back half out. I had to put the door back on to verify the position. It would have been annoying if I got it all done only to have the door not close. Adjustable hinges would have been nice.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christian's R10S-uploadfromtaptalk1380436559461.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    The first part of the new pillar is done. Its only one side but it will hold everything in place when I cut the back half out. I had to put the door back on to verify the position. It would have been annoying if I got it all done only to have the door not close. Adjustable hinges would have been nice. Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4
    Very impressive - I can only admire your dedication. This is the sort of thing they do in UK and we look at and shudder. Providing you get all the structural stuff right and the basic shell is rigid, it should be OK in the end. I guess you are now committed, rather that throwing it away and getting another with a less ant-eaten shell. Wow.....

I can only wish you well, as I can't offer constructive advice. But moral support aplenty.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

If there is two ways to do something I tend to do it the hard way, not sure why..... Once I had started I figured I'd keep going. Luckily the shell of the car is pretty good, I did notice one of the channels under the front boot floor was rusted yesterday, but its only a small section so very repairable, it'll just have to wait until the car is on its side.

Who ever did the last repair on the drivers side sill bogged up the drain hole, which I'm informed by my father happens all the time, it looks that this has caused a lot of the damage to the sill. I don't intend on removing all of it as it will be difficult to get the shape right and you'll be able to see that part. Instead I'll cut out section of it and use the dunlop patch method to weld the patch panels in.

Today I may be trying to track down a better MIG, my cheap multiprocess welder is giving me the @#$@#. It turns out good multiprocess welders exist, for about $4000, which is four times what I paid for mine.

Keep up the good work Christian, progressing nicely
    cheers,

John

[QUOTE
    Instead I'll cut out section of it and use the dunlop patch method to weld the patch panels in.
    QUOTE]
    I am interested in learning more about what is the Dunlop patch method? Angelo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    [QUOTE
    Instead I'll cut out section of it and use the dunlop patch method to weld the patch panels in.
    QUOTE]
    I am interested in learning more about what is the Dunlop patch method? Angelo
    A dunlop patch is one that overlaps as opposed to doing butt joints all round.

Fellow Frogger!

Some more progress has been made, long weekend as I screw my back (again) on the Thursday before. Grrrrrr. The back issues are mostly related to riding bikes in Sydney traffic for the last 20 years, I've been hit by more then my fair share of cars.

On to the A pillar, coming along nicely, except for having to put the door on, take the door off, put the door on, you get the idea. I'd like to be able to close the door when its finished. When I open the door at the moment it droops, could be because the hinges are only attached on the front side of the pillar for the most. There are lots of holes to patch along the way as well, like the one at the bottom and the top is going to need some work but it is no where as bad as the other side was.

Christian's R10S-2013-10-06_14-42-16_507.jpgChristian's R10S-2013-10-07_11-47-18_697.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Well, on the weekend I had a "what am I doing" moment. I was ready to set the whole thing on fire and walk away. During the pillar construction I've been very careful to make sure the door lines up. I had just finished the top curved bit at the front and decided to see if the guard fitted, well, it didn't. My pillar is about 5mm too far forward at the curve. Which I still find strange because it has to clear a cable hole in the body, which mind you I had to reconstruct as half of it wasn't there. I'm pretty sure I didn't make it too large. Anyway the solution given to me by my farther was to just modify the guard to fit, which is what I am going to end up doing as it would be multiple days work to move the curved bit.

Moving on I also constructed the back part of the pillar, this is where most of the strength comes from as it has a step in it which was not fun to fold. Now the only part of the pillar left is the bottom. The door no longer droops when you open it so I think I'll be able to leave it off now. I'm getting quite fast at putting it on and taking it back off.

Christian's R10S-2013-10-13_15-09-54_986.jpgChristian's R10S-2013-10-13_15-10-06_242.jpgChristian's R10S-2013-10-13_15-10-25_941.jpg

Christian,

I feel your pain....

But I guess it is the self satisfaction of knowing you have done it yourself. Every time I remove a panel in my 404 it is now done with an element of dread. The up shot is after I remove the next panel under the front windscreen, there is nothing left to remove. Just rebuild.

Keep the pic's coming it is interesting to watch your progress.Reminds me of a 10 I own some 30 years ago.

Dano

Fellow Frogger!

So, this pillar has taken forever, I haven't had that much time to work on it and its a good thing its done because I've really had enough of it. I can now move onto something else, I know, cutting out more rust. I know it'll all be worth it in the end, I hope.

Christian's R10S-2013-10-29_17-38-36_273.jpg

COL

So, this pillar has taken forever, I haven't had that much time to work on it and its a good thing its done because I've really had enough of it. I can now move onto something else, I know, cutting out more rust. I know it'll all be worth it in the end, I hope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-29_17-38-36_273.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	49272
    Chin up Christian you are doing a fantastic job. Sometimes it feels like is all this pain worth it, it will be when you are driving the car to its first show and getting the accolades from the viewing public.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

What he said...

Keep going Lad, you're on a roll and I can only imagine how much effort went into that door pillar. Good Work.

Fellow Frogger!

Moving right along, to the back of the car. I'm starting to think someone dipped the right hand side of this car in salt water, or maybe it was just parked on a slope for a very long time. Probably the later. I started cutting out the infected section or is that sections, which each layer in I discovered more that needed to be removed. I think I've gone deep enough now as I can see the garage floor. I made a template or two on the way so I know what shape it needs to end up, especially where the rear window goes, I think I'll be test fitting the window more then once during this process. From what I have worked out its going to be a bottom up rebuild to make sure it is all weldable and I don't end up with parts that are impossible to weld. Although a bit of oxy action rectifies some of these problems, after all parts of the car are brazed and I'm sure its for this reason. I'm quite proud of that first bit, the new TIG welder is so much better then the old one.

Christian's R10S-2013-11-02_12-57-43_950.jpgChristian's R10S-2013-11-02_15-08-50_138.jpgChristian's R10S-2013-11-02_15-09-01_487.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Progress has been made this weekend, I can no longer see the garage floor.

Christian's R10S-2013-11-03_16-04-37_992.jpg

hi christian i have just read your entire thread and am very impressed with what you have done so far.you are tackling a big job and i sincerly wish you all the best in achieving a great and rewarding end result.

regards brian

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Brian, I had intended on getting lots of work done on the weekend but was foiled by putting my back out, again. Maybe next weekend.

How's it going Christian? Is your back sorted and a bit more progress happening?
    cheers,

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    How's it going Christian? Is your back sorted and a bit more progress happening?
    Unfortunately there has been no progress, the back is almost better but I have been out at sea for work for the last two weeks and now I'm away until Christmas. January is pretty much a right off as well as I have to go to Japan, for work with a holiday tacked on the end.

My goal for 2014 is to get some paint on the car.

Fellow Frogger!

After a very long break I've started work back on the R10S with you guest it, cutting out rust. My work this weekend was stopped due to the MIG wire binding to the inside of the tip to the point that I can't get it out, bugger. I don't have any spares for this torch so I'll have to track some down this week.

Done some more work on the back right corner, filling in some of the gaping hole I created cutting out the rust. I've started to form the rear window edge, this is going to be mostly done in place, I imagine there is going to be a lot of put the window on, take the window off next weekend probably accompanied by some swearing. The bottom of the curved part is welded but it is mostly held in place for the picture by vice grips.

Luckily there are other parts of the car to work on that don't require welding.

Christian's R10S-img_20140216_102842.jpgChristian's R10S-img_20140216_120642.jpg

COL

After a very long break I've started work back on the R10S with you guest it, cutting out rust. My work this weekend was stopped due to the MIG wire binding to the inside of the tip to the point that I can't get it out, bugger. I don't have any spares for this torch so I'll have to track some down this week.
    I have spare tips and shrouds for my MIG for this reason. Depends on metal quality on how long they last.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

It's been a productive weekend (read: the fiancé was away again)

I have almost finished the right hand side mess that was the bottom of the window. I have placed the read window on and taken it off more then once over the last two days.

First, finish what I started last weekend, this is the part that involves checking the rear windscreen fit multiple times as the shape wasn't quite right the first fitting, or the second or the third. Not sure how many it took in the end. It did involve adjusting with a hammer.
    Christian's R10S-img_20140222_153537.jpg

Next, tidy up the edges of the remaining hole and cut a panel to fit. This took longer then I thought it was going to because I wanted to make sure it lined up every where as its one piece and would be hard to change later. You can't see the other two vice grips under the guard.
    Christian's R10S-img_20140222_174858.jpg

Now it's just a case of sticking it down.
    Christian's R10S-img_20140223_151344.jpg

Lets call this piece the rear windscreen top right strength member, what ever its called here is the repaired one. I formed it around a piece of water pipe to get the curve in it.
    Christian's R10S-img_20140223_170244.jpg

A shot of the side, only bit left is the part that wraps around the bottom edge. Also the new welding helmet, I can't recommend this one enough, 3M Speedglas 9100X, a bit pricey it cost me $390 to get it from the USA, they are about $600 here. The way I look at it is you only get one set of eyes so they are worth looking after and it's amazing being able to see what you are doing when welding, so much better then the previous $150 helmet.
    Christian's R10S-img_20140223_170309.jpg

COL

Nice work there Christian, glad is coming along well.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Also the new welding helmet, I can't recommend this one enough, 3M Speedglas 9100X, a bit pricey it cost me $390 to get it from the USA, they are about $600 here. The way I look at it is you only get one set of eyes so they are worth looking after and it's amazing being able to see what you are doing when welding, so much better then the previous $150 helmet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140223_170309.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	53400
    Can you advise your US supplier? I'm interested in purchasing one.
    roger

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information