A110 dash instruments
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default A110 dash instruments

One of the last things I need to do is renew the instruments on the dash of my A110. The current ones work fine but are showing their age like pitting on the chrome surrounds. The smaller gauges for water temp, ammeter and oil pressure are Jaeger but not sure about the larger speedo and tacho (car was built in Mexico around 1969). I also need to change from a cable driven tacho to an electrical version (presumably connected to the -ve side of the coil) as the distributor on my R8G motor does not have a cable drive like the one on the Type 688 motor. I also need an oil temp gauge as the alloy sump drain plug has a sender switch for oil temp and I have a new oil cooler to fit the car. I have tried to obtain new items from the usual sources (Simons Auto, GBS Alpine and Mecaparts) but apart from oil pressure, there are none available from them(still to hear from Mecaparts). One option is to restore the ones I have and convert the existing tacho from cable to electric but I was wondering if anyone has faced this problem and obtained suitable gauges and local source of supply local or overseas. I am only interested in those that do fill the space on the dash.

Advertisement

Would the original gauges be a Spanish language Veglia?

Just thinking it would be fun to retain the cable drive tacho, and save having to buy an electronic type. If the 688 motor distributor is a Ducellier, can the cable driven components (or body) be converted to the 8G Ducellier distributor? At the minimum, it would be an idea to have the 8G distributor checked over for the condition of the bob weight bushes, and the advance graph. The 688 body may be able to be used in conjunction with the long 8G shaft, if the tacho drive mechanism can be made compatible.

For the extra instruments, probably try close to home first with Alpine Affaire, then try JY Lardinois in Belgium, he is most helpful and will try to find what you need in the way of a matching oil temp gauge. Also try Racing Car Diffusion who are (were) based in Marseilles, try Google to find them, I think they mainly sell through Ebay nowadays, they used to have a lot of NOS Renault and Alpine parts.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your very quick response Simon. Not sure what brand the speedo and tacho are and cannot see anything on them from under the dash (even after removing the rally seats) but they have French terms like huile, tours, essence so they they might be originals from Dieppe.

The distributors on both motors are Ducilliers with the one on the 688 motor having the drive for the cable for the tacho. The one on the R8G motor has no such drive and the drive from the 688 motor could be incorporated but would have to be recurved. I am reluctant to interfere with the distributor on the RG8 motor and prefer to go with an electronic tacho. BTW the car will have electronic ignition using a Jaycar unit put together by one of our club members who has much more electronics expertise than me. I might try and see if the existing tacho can be rebuilt to incorporate an electronic mechanism.

In the meantime, will followup your suggestions with Alpine Affaire ( caught up with Col at the Renault Roundup at Docklands last Feb) and the Belgium and French sites you mentioned. Will let everyone know how I went.

Have a look on my Matra resto page, Is that what you are after? Those new bezel rings cost me $10.00 each. The printing was left as is but the needles were painted after I mixed some yellow in to get the closer colour match.
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

COL

These guages can sometimes be found on French Ebay. They are not cheap, I have seen prices over $1000 for speedo and tacho.

Good luck in your search Bazzamac.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The bezels can be pulled off and rechromed without being destroyed. I have pulled off similar bezels off BMW (Siemens) instruments from the early sixties. You need a lot of patience and some custom made tools.

You can also try places that do refurbishments of such instruments, they do sometimes have new bezels. I do not remember what the diameter of the BMW instruments was, but if you look around the 1962 mark they had a similar bezel which might fit one of your instruments. Those are brass, so easy to play with.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

They are exactly what I need but you're right Col - they certainly are not cheap. It appears from the lettering on the tacho that it is electric and not driven by cable. I guess it would be hooked up to the negative terminal on the coil?

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Frans

What is the address of your Matra restoration site?

Cheers

bazzamac

Hi,
    I do not have a restoration site. The key pictures are all on here. I do have the pictures in a Dropbox folder but that is of everything to help me with the re-assemble. If you want something specific I can transfer it to the "Public" folder for you.
    Frans

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Frans. Found the thread of your Matra restoration and pictures of the instruments. What an amazing project and good work too. Did you end up using POR15 on the chassis? I have used it and find it is great. Re the instruments, I note that they are Jaeger. The ones I am looking for are Veglia. But yours do capture the style I am after.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    One of the last things I need to do is renew the instruments on the dash of my A110. The current ones work fine but are showing their age like pitting on the chrome surrounds. I am only interested in those that do fill the space on the dash.
    I suggest you go to ebay France (www.ebay.fr) and put in Jaeger. There are plenty of instruments and some sellers will post to "monde etier". Others will not.

There are some Veglia instruments in there too - I haven't tried Veglia as a search term.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Thanks Frans. Found the thread of your Matra restoration and pictures of the instruments. What an amazing project and good work too. Did you end up using POR15 on the chassis? I have used it and find it is great. Re the instruments, I note that they are Jaeger. The ones I am looking for are Veglia. But yours do capture the style I am after.
    Bazzamac,

Thanks for the compliment. No, I didn't use POR15, but I would have if I wasn't converted to another product. ( I forgot the name). This other product is a 3 pack paint but still requires a 6 week curing period. The theory behind it is that while it is curing for 6 weeks it is etching into the metal. Other products that dries quick will stop the etching process as soon as it is dry. I have noticed that on some suspension parts, that was covered by this paint, that when I remove the paint for the re-plaiting guys, this paint is making a white powder when I put it on the wire brush or emery paper disc. So it is very hard and durable.
    Regards
    Frans

Thread Information