Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.

These are the first pictures of the 804 1100cc Gordini engine and gearbox that I've restored for my Caravelle. The original vehicle that used this power train setup was an earlier Caravelle taken from the original owners written-off R8 Gordini. This vehicle proved to be too rusty to make a viable restoration, so I purchased a 1964 , one owner car , sold the first Caravelle, and proceeded with the restoration of this car. The engine has new forged pistons, new crank and con-rod bearings,re-profiled camshaft, new timing gears and chain, and has been fully balanced. The cylinder head proved to be a real problem, and I was advised to find another, however as they are very difficult to obtain, I persisted with what I had. The waterways were corroded and needed welding, all four valve seats were cracked and needed replacing ,the spark plug threads were heli-coiled, then the head was trued top and bottom.The gearbox was rebuilt at Colliers, and although it was in excellent condition, all bearings and seals were replaced as well as the synchro balls and springs.
    The brake calipers were overhauled, axle seals and bearings replaced, along with gearbox mounts.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0153.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0154.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0155.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0156.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0157.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0158.jpg  

Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0159.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0160.jpg   Caravelle resto with R8 Gordini power.-sam_0161.jpg  

That looks fantastic Chris, thanks for the pics, many more to come I hope?..

Good Job Chris, if the drivetrain looks like this then we can just think what the car is going to look like

Well done

Harry
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

Icon14

Sweet motor.

What is the finish on the rocker cover - polished alloy or dark chrome?
    Are the extractors powder coated or heat paint?

As you can probably tell, our Pug 203s and Alfa 75s have chronic problems with these, and they are front & center when the bonnet's open

You only get out what you put in! Obviously a lot was put into this project. Well done.

Henry

Fellow Frogger!

Default caravelle r8

Thanks for the supportive comments. The rocker cover is polished alloy and the extractors are ceramic coated, apparently this helps to keep under bonnet temperatures down .

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Is the rest of the car going to look like that. Keep the pic's coming.

With your Caravelle wanted parts I'm not sure what you mean on all three. I thought heater mounts on radiator surrounds, only one front connector point?, and which/what moulding. Some pic's might help.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger!

Default caravelle parts

Hi John, the parts I need: the actual heater that attaches to the radiator support panel has a metal frame , with a rectangular hole in it that surrounds the heater core this part of the heater is what I neede (I have the rest of the heater). The wiring connectors sit on top of one another and attach to the left hand side of the inner guard , under the front bonnet . They connect the main wiring loom to the headlight, sidelight, horns etc. The stainless trim fits to the inner door trim, and runs near the bottom of the trim, separating the coloured vinyl from the silver at the bottom of the trim. Hope this clarifies things. Cheers Chris.

Thread Information